Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2022, 03:40 PM   #1

Cool air bag elbow leak

Hi,

I have a 2021 Classic. My right side airbag has a slow leak, which I am pretty sure is the airline fitting o the top of the bag. A while back I asked the local RV dealership to check the system and fix the leak. Al they did was air up the bag and look to see how much the pressure drop was overnight. They did nothing else!
Today I crawled under the RV to see if I could get to the fitting easily. It does not appear to be an easy one to get to without disassembling a bunch of stuff. Before doing so, I am wondering if removing the dual wheels would allow enough room between the frame and the top of the spring to access the top of the bag.
The only other option I see is to take the mounting hardware off the axle and the bottom of the camper to fully remove the bag. Anyone out there who has had to service the airlines and fittings?
I guess this is why the tech at the dealership did not want to mess with fixing the leak. To them it is easier just to keep airing up the bag!

Ratracer
Ratracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:03 PM   #2
Commercial Member

it sounds like you may have a faulty Ride Rite air bag. i would take it to your dealer.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:16 PM   #3

airbags

I suppose it is possible for a bag to be bad, but more than likely it is either the end of the plastic tube not seating properly in the 90 elbow, or the threads leaking on the elbow into the top of the bag.
What makes this bag so difficult to get to is that it is positioned behind the passenger side shock absorber and the engine exhaust pipe snakes its way between the bag and the frame, over the top of the axle.

We have a long trip planned for early next week, and being that the bag only loses about 5 PSI per day, I think I will wait until we get back to disassemble everything and find the leak. I carry a small compressor with me, so I can keep the bag filled. I also have made it easy to monitor the pressure in the bag and for filling it.
Certainly one thing I will do before taking the mounting apart is to take detailed pictures of the installation.. Very helpful in putting things back together again!

Ratracer, ( Bill )
Ratracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak