Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2018, 10:48 AM   #1

Air bag pressure

We have a 2018 2681d with air bags. Can’t find in owners manual what pressure the bags should be at. Does anybody know the specs?
essentialbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #2

Well it's more based on what drives comfortable for the weight of your rig. I use 70 to 75 psi. Most find anywhere between 60 and 80 works well
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Thank you
Old 01-27-2018, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
Well it's more based on what drives comfortable for the weight of your rig. I use 70 to 75 psi. Most find anywhere between 60 and 80 works well
X2
Old 01-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
X2

X3
fliper74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
x3! When i'm not towing our boat, i'll keep them around 60. When towing i'll bring them up around 75. I installed them myself and they sure helped alot with rear bounce.
torino421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by essentialbill View Post
We have a 2018 2681d with air bags. Can’t find in owners manual what pressure the bags should be at. Does anybody know the specs?

X4
Edrps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:39 PM   #8

Whatever you do, don’t go too close to 100 psi. To get in our driveway, we use 85 psi. There is a Firestone Ride Rite website that has the airbag pressure information.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:13 PM   #9

Here is what the manual says about recommended pressures:

STEP 6 — CHECK THE AIR SYSTEM
As a general rule, the air helper springs will support approximately 50 lbs. of load for each psi of inflation pressure (per pair). For example, 50 psi of inflation pressure will support a load of 2500 lbs. per pair of air helper springs. FOR BEST RIDE use only enough air pressure in the air helper springs to level the vehicle when viewed from the side (front to rear). This amount will vary depending on the load, location of load, condition of existing suspension and personal preference.
www.ride-rite.com

NOTE: Once the air helper springs are installed, it is recommended that the vehicle not be lifted by the frame, as over-extension may occur, resulting in damage to the air helper springs. However, should it become necessary to raise the vehicle by the frame, deflate both air helper springs completely.

NOTE: TO PREVENT POSSIBLE DAMAGE, MAINTAIN A MINIMUM OF 5 P.S.I. IN THE AIR HELPER SPRINGS AT ALL TIMES.
MIN PRESSURE 5 PSI
MAX PRESSURE (LOADED) 100 PSI
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinandLen View Post
Whatever you do, don’t go too close to 100 psi. To get in our driveway, we use 85 psi. There is a Firestone Ride Rite website that has the airbag pressure information.
Great. Thank you for the info
Old 02-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post
Here is what the manual says about recommended pressures:

STEP 6 — CHECK THE AIR SYSTEM

As a general rule, the air helper springs will support approximately 50 lbs. of load for each psi of inflation pressure (per pair). For example, 50 psi of inflation pressure will support a load of 2500 lbs. per pair of air helper springs. FOR BEST RIDE use only enough air pressure in the air helper springs to level the vehicle when viewed from the side (front to rear). This amount will vary depending on the load, location of load, condition of existing suspension and personal preference.

www.ride-rite.com

NOTE: Once the air helper springs are installed, it is recommended that the vehicle not be lifted by the frame, as over-extension may occur, resulting in damage to the air helper springs. However, should it become necessary to raise the vehicle by the frame, deflate both air helper springs completely.

NOTE: TO PREVENT POSSIBLE DAMAGE, MAINTAIN A MINIMUM OF 5 P.S.I. IN THE AIR HELPER SPRINGS AT ALL TIMES.

MIN PRESSURE 5 PSI

MAX PRESSURE (LOADED) 100 PSI

Correct me if I'm wrong please. According to these instructions the bags should be deflated when leveling the motor home since the jacks are connected to the frame. Or does the Motorhome have to be lifted completely off the ground to cause possible damage?
Old 02-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edrps View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong please. According to these instructions the bags should be deflated when leveling the motor home since the jacks are connected to the frame. Or does the Motorhome have to be lifted completely off the ground to cause possible damage?
That's what I thought as well......designed to break?
1FastSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSS View Post
That's what I thought as well......designed to break?

You are probably correct. From my experiences I've concluded they sure aren't designed or built to last!
Old 02-04-2018, 02:56 PM   #14

Wow, thanks for the info! I didn’t know this at all, and we have used our levelers with our airbags inflated! I hope we didn’t damage anything.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinandLen View Post
Wow, thanks for the info! I didn’t know this at all, and we have used our levelers with our airbags inflated! I hope we didn’t damage anything.
L&L,

I don't see how it would be an issue using the levelers with the air bags filled as long as the levelers do not raise the rear wheels off the ground. That is a condition you should try to avoid at all times even without air bags. As for myself, I try to position the RV such that the levelers only have to raise the rear end as little as possible. I think this will reduce stress on both the levelers and air bags as well as providing more stability for the RV. And if I was at a site where the levelers where at their maximum reach, I might just dump the airbags as a precaution. So far that has not happened.....
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure