Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 09:15 PM   #1
Certified Curmudgeon

AirCommand Water Penetration

This is a new one to me. I have an AirCommand AC1511-B. Today was the second time rain water has penetrated the unit and ended up on the counter and floor.
The specifics:
A/C operating normally. Before, during and after the event.
Moderate to heavy rain with sustained winds over 25 mph (gusts higher) from the rear of the unit.
Water penetration is coming through the oval hole in the base pan of the rooftop unit.
The seal between the base pan and fiberglass roof is NOT leaking.
Drain(s) in the base pan are not plugged.

I’m thinking the water is being pushed through the coil (blue) and the air pressure behind it is causing the water to build in the pan. Other than making the drain holes bigger, I have no idea what I can do to mitigate the problem. (can’t turn the ship around). It never leaks any other time.

Any suggestion? BTW, I am on the road.

Photo taken through the filter holder slot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11D8D552-4A12-4BA3-96FB-583AFE94BF77.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	182771  
Old 08-11-2018, 11:24 PM   #2

I suppose if water condensing on the inside of the coach must be able to get out, then water on the outside of the coach could come in. Maybe covering the unit with a vinyl AC cover (or garbage bag), if not in use, would help keep the pressure differential from pushing water in.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshaft View Post
I suppose if water condensing on the inside of the coach must be able to get out, then water on the outside of the coach could come in. Maybe covering the unit with a vinyl AC cover (or garbage bag), if not in use, would help keep the pressure differential from pushing water in.
That would certainly be a viable solution for storage however, we are on the road and it’s summer. Really need to use the A/C and this unit has no roof ladder anyway so Cartman is not going vertical.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #4
Site Team

It may not be rain water. It may also be condensation caused by running the unit in the rain or high humidity. I've had a steady stream of water coming from around the air filter slot on humid days without a drop of rain...

As this is being written a FR repair crew at the FROG Rally is working on my Atwood. Per the team they just meet with Atwood on this problem last week. There is a design issue, mostly due to the filter design, causing this problem. Atwood is aware of the problem and redesigning the interior shroud.

Short term sealing around the wiring harness, and other areas, is the available "fix". Long term the new interior shroud, and air filter, should fix the leaks.

Call Atwood and get your A/C registered for the warranty and on the list for the long term fix...

I'll update this thread after the sealants dry and we can run our A/C again to see if our kitchen shower is "fixed"....
Old 08-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
It may not be rain water. It may also be condensation caused by running the unit in the rain or high humidity. I've had a steady stream of water coming from around the air filter slot on humid days without a drop of rain...

As this is being written a FR repair crew at the FROG Rally is working on my Atwood. Per the team they just meet with Atwood on this problem last week. There is a design issue, mostly due to the filter design, causing this problem. Atwood is aware of the problem and redesigning the interior shroud.

Short term sealing around the wiring harness, and other areas, is the available "fix". Long term the new interior shroud, and air filter, should fix the leaks.

Call Atwood and get your A/C registered for the warranty and on the list for the long term fix...

I'll update this thread after the sealants dry and we can run our A/C again to see if our kitchen shower is "fixed"....
Thank you. I will do that as soon as we reach a destination with more than an overnight stay.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:

I contacted Dometic about registering my Atwood Air Commander. They told me they do not register them. Just keep the original receipt. They connected me with Atwood technical support and I told them about the long term fix you discussed. They are shipping me a new ceiling unit and told me that it is smaller the the original ceiling unit so they are working on a "garnish" to go around it. They said it should be ready in 6-8 weeks an the will ship it automatically when it becomes available.
michael.wehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.wehrer View Post
I contacted Dometic about registering my Atwood Air Commander. They told me they do not register them. Just keep the original receipt. They connected me with Atwood technical support and I told them about the long term fix you discussed. They are shipping me a new ceiling unit and told me that it is smaller the the original ceiling unit so they are working on a "garnish" to go around it. They said it should be ready in 6-8 weeks an the will ship it automatically when it becomes available.
That is good news. I’m still on the road but it is on my todo list.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Site Team

Talk about opposite results... My DW emailed Atwood about registering our unit as she couldn't find a link for the Air Commander. The customer service folks replied and then registered our unit via email. But that group knew nothing about the condensation issue...

I'll call their Support line tomorrow and get ours on their list as well...
Old 08-31-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Site Team

It turns out the DW did get us on the Modification kit list. Today we received a package from Atwood with a new plastic interior grill, new sheet metal baffling and some stick on insulation. But no instructions... Now I just need to get my dealer to install it before we leave for the Grand Canyon /Sedona / Albuquerque Rally!

The Atwood Item Number for the upgrade kit we received is 3315930.010. I suspect there will be a second shipment for the interior garnish when it becomes available...
Old 08-31-2018, 10:53 PM   #10
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
It turns out the DW did get us on the Modification kit list. Today we received a package from Atwood with a new plastic interior grill, new sheet metal baffling and some stick on insulation. But no instructions... Now I just need to get my dealer to install it before we leave for the Grand Canyon /Sedona / Albuquerque Rally!

The Atwood Item Number for the upgrade kit we received is 3315930.010. I suspect there will be a second shipment for the interior garnish when it becomes available...
Thanks for the follow-up and the details.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:

I finally got a chance to follow up and it is exactly as you described. The customer service person also advised me that the new lower shroud has a dometic logo so not to worry. Also inquired about the instructions and was informed that it was a simple install but if I could not that I could call and they would get tech support to help.
Unfortunately they do not have a method for me to get the parts on my way home so I had to have them ship it to my house. They will send the garnish as soon as it is available. Hope this is the cure.

Tags
water