Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #21
Steelhorzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
USAA currently will not insure motor homes. They will insure tow ables. Just make sure the Rep knows your "RV" is a trailer so you don't get transferred. If you have a motor home the USAA rep will transfer you to their "partner" Progressive for insurance. The Progressive "partner" quote wasn't very good...

Allstate worked out the best for us on our motor home. But their are a lot of variables so no two cases may come out the same. Just call everyone and get comparable quotes...it pays to shop around.

When I was shopping for insurance On line, I was surprised how many take your info , then pass you thru a "portal" to Progrssive USSA, The General, etc.

I was with Good Sam, which is really "National General". Until I made a windshield claim. My next premium went up about the cost of the windshield. Go figure!

So after shopping around I'm now with Progressive.
Comprehensive deductible is more than Nat General but I saved hundreds over my escalated premium.
And they allow you to put your rig in storage when you're not using it and you cost go down for that period.
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #22
Newly retired and ready

Allied/Nationwide Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGuy View Post
So we are shopping for insurance. As part of Allied getting bought out some of their agents, including ours, were dropped. Allied refused to transfer our policy to another agent and dropped us like a rock. Never had a claim and never missed a payment. Guess they want out of the RV insurance biz. I was curious what insurance companies folks use on here since I suddenly find myself in the market for a new policy and I have a month to buy.
Just to clarify some things for you. Allied only does business through independent agents. Through contract Allied cannot write you a policy directly or transfer you to another agent. Your business belongs to the agent not to the company. That’s how it works in an independent agent world. If for some reason they no longer do business with your agent you can always search out another Allied agent to write you a policy. The Allied RV policy is one of the best on the market for covering RV’s. I would recommend you find another Allied agent to write you.

Gary, Susan, and Molly(the dog)
2016 Ford F-250
2010 Flagstaff 8524 RLS
Gl111349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
USAA has been great for us, and very affordable.

Bruce
Tried to add to my USAA Policy and they said they don't insure RV's, They sent me to Progressive but everything is handled on my USAA Website. Maybe they still do Trailers.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #24

I had Good Sams for one year, then their renewal rates went up too much for me to stay. Switched to Citizens. Cheaper then Good Sams started for the same coverage.
Bigred44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #25

I am with State Farm, have been using them for my campers and RV's since the early 90's with no problems. Also have them for all my other insurances.

But, when I was working, we used to push the Progressive RV insurance as it was quick to get quotes back to us and was always less money. I just don't know how they are with claims.
Having lots of Fun traveling with my wife
old40ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #26

Nationwide hit us with a several hundred dollar increase last year for no reason at all.
Shopped around and Geico Agency hooked us up with Foremost which I believe is their subsidiary since both are based in Grand Rapids. Price was lower than my previous Nationwide bill for identical coverage...and way lower than the new one would have been.
I agree with the thought that you should shop around every few years OR anytime you get hit with a big increase.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #27

Allstate...never any issues. Also use Good Sam Road Hazard.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #28

Overland Insurance Services

We have been using Ron Jarvie for 6 years... recommended by another forum he has always scouted around to come up with the best rate for us. Check with him before you buy

Ronald L. Jarvie
Overland Insurance Services
ron@rvins.com
2018 Vanleigh Vilano 375FL
www.Wind-seeker.com/vilano
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #29

We have our insurance through Farmers. Ours is bundled - two cars, trailer on one policy, our home has it’s own policy
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #30

USAA covers our travel trailer
Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #31

Ins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
USAA has been great for us, and very affordable.

Bruce
X-2. Moved all my insurance onanything thatmpves or floats to USAA. FIRST BOAT $99.00 secone boat $1.00
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #32

No one has mentioned this, so here goes. We have Auto Owner's Insurance for homeowners, the RV, and the daily driver. Because we have all of it on the same policy, a discount is given. They have been very good at keeping the rates steady.

We had AARP The Hartford on a Florida registered vehicles for over ten years, never a claim until 2 years ago when a passing semi pinched a rock off the road and broke our windshield. The pits were deep and the crack was beginning to spider immediately. We took it to two glass shops (out of state) and both emphatically stated the windshield should be replaced. Nope, we sent pictures and pleaded our case to 3 different adjusters (by phone) and sent pictures. They wouldn't budge. It was $50 for a windshield repair.

We opted to have the windshield replace and paid the $175 difference.
When we got home, I called to get an address to complain by letter. No need, the adjuster stated, just send us the receipt and we will issue a check. "That easy" was my response. "That easy" was the reply. Then why was it so difficult when we were on the road and couldn't get it replaced. Just send us the bill. They paid it.

I calculated that we had paid over $12,000 in premiums over the years and The Hartford would only cough up $50.

We registered the vehicle in another state and decided to put it under the Auto Owners Ins. policy. Wow!! It was half of what we were paying The Hartford.

Now, you will respond that another state and bundling would make a difference. Well, a The Hartford agent called and asked if I wanted to continue insurance in the new state. Though I knew we were not going with The Hartford, I asked them for a quote. I was told that the rate would remain the same.

So, a strong word of advice, no matter how many years you have been married to an insurance company, it pays to shop. If your current company is still giving you the best rates, stay married. If you find they have been cheating on you, time to move on.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #33
Dahagen

GEICO, priced many, including USAA and found GEICO had best features and price. Price has been steady except for a slight increase this year. Both car and motorhome covered.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #34

RV Insurance

Progessive seems quite reasonable and USAA has an arrangement with them re RV insurance. I trust USAA.
jeitel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #35

We are also in Florida and have had AARP The Hartford for 19 years. We have our class A coach plus our two cars on the policy. We have 500 deductible on collision and 0 on comprehensive with the vanishing deductible. We also had a cracked windshield out in Oklahoma and they installed a new one with no problem. We were there for two days as they had to overnight one. I also think they have the best roadside assistance which is included in the policy . Just my opinion of course. But as I stated in past posts, as long as you are happy with your company that's what matters.
rickkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #36

We had the same problem with National Interstate. They stopped writing any personal insurance, including RV. Their agent first said they would provide insurance from Liberty Mutual, then told me they couldn't. I talked to the Good Sam agency and their agent couldn't answer my questions. So I joined FMCA, which now allows towable owners to join and signed up with Progressive with their Agency.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #37

I use Allstate with my truck & SUV. They have alway take care of us with all of our claims from wind damage to total loss due to flood.
bajamike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #38

Here's the negative on State Farm...They don't have a policy that will replace your RV for one of like kind. They simply pay the "appraised" price. Progressive has full new replacement.
Even though I have State Farm auto, I went with Progressive for this one reason.
Just having insurance isn't enough on an RV. You need good coverage too.

And, BTW, Good Sam isn't an insurance company. They are middlemen for other RV insurance companies. Call GS first, get a quote, then call the insurance companies direct and ask them the same questions. You will be surprised that going direct might get you a different price!
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
So, a strong word of advice, no matter how many years you have been married to an insurance company, it pays to shop. If your current company is still giving you the best rates, stay married. If you find they have been cheating on you, time to move on.
This is good advice. Unlike cell phone companies or satellite TV providers who will actually attempt to lower your rates if you threaten to go with another company, insurance companies don't seem to care whether you stay with them or not.

It's good to call around every couple of years and make sure you are really getting the "best" rates. Although sometimes you have to be careful when it comes time to make a claim. We've had insurance companies that were a breeze to deal with and others that it was like pulling teeth.

So having the best rate shouldn't always be the only deciding factor.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
This is good advice. Unlike cell phone companies or satellite TV providers who will actually attempt to lower your rates if you threaten to go with another company, insurance companies don't seem to care whether you stay with them or not.

It's good to call around every couple of years and make sure you are really getting the "best" rates. Although sometimes you have to be careful when it comes time to make a claim. We've had insurance companies that were a breeze to deal with and others that it was like pulling teeth.

So having the best rate shouldn't always be the only deciding factor.
Good that you should mention that. DW just contacted our agent in FL about an up coming premium payment. He stated that there has been some activity in premium increases. He wanted to check to see if we were getting the best bang for the buck. That's a good agent!

One other thing that we have started doing is putting vehicles we will not be using for several months into storage. We pay premiums on those vehicle for fire, theft, and comprehensive. Can save a bundle doing that. We also try to determine how many miles we put on any one vehicle a year and see if we can get better rates. For instance, an RV used 3 moths a year and sitting for 9 months in storage will have a drastically different premium than the 12 moth full coverage. Insurance companies will do this, but they will not bring it up unless you ask.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote