Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

An Interesting Saturday getting an education

Yesterday, we traveled 4 hours to an unnamed RV dealer to look at the RV’s we earmarked in our search on the web. The salesperson was very nonchalant and just walked through the lot with us and opened the doors to the motorhomes. All of the motor homes we looked at were in need of a good cleaning. He said the cleaning lady had quit and they had two boys doing the job now. They wouldn’t work for me, as their work was pretty poor. All of the motorhomes had some type of water damage: either on the ceiling or around the windows. In each case, the salesperson said the leak had probably been taken care of by the service department when the vehicle came in and it shouldn’t be a problem in the future. Right, that’s what I’m thinking. After leaving that dealership, we drove to another dealership. We told the salesman our price range and type of motorhome we desired. This salesman was more willing to tell us about the motorhomes as we looked through them. He offered his assessment of each of the motorhomes as we looked through them. Again, we noticed many with water damage and he was very quick to agree that is was an issue. The difference here is that he did not try to minimize the problem. He said the service department would try to seal the leaks. The choices there were limited, so he showed us a class A motorhome. Ok, call us crazy, but we did take it for a test drive. After the drive, I determined that I would be too nervous trying to keep that monster in my lane (and on the road for that matter) while traveling. As we drove, I’m thinking, holy crap I’d be a nervous wreck after a day on the road: I’d make one trip out west and have to park the motorhome and stay there. Too chicken to even try to get back home for the rest of my belongings. I now have the utmost respect for all of you Class A motorhome driver out there. Since the choices at the two dealerships we limited to motorhomes that I would not want to own, we started looking at the travel trailers. Hey, you never know, right? So we saw a decked out travel trailer that was brand new and on sale at about half the original price. SweetC being the researcher she is, looked it up on the web from the mobile phone and found numerous complaints about this specific trailer manufacturer. So…at the end of a very long day we came home “motorhomeless.” We’ll keep you posted We are heading out now to look at one thru a private seller. Will post back…I only hope I can fit behind the wheel, I am 6’3” and find a lot of motor homes driver side are short on leg room Thanks to all who have send suggestions and ideas….You are an AWESOME Group!
2018 297 RSK Primetime Crusader
The Mustard Seed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:14 PM   #2

Good luck! And good for holding out for a decent, respectful dealer, too.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat