Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #1

Another bad BIRD

Right after we bought our used 2009 2860DS Sunseeker, on our trip to Utah, my rig would not start without pushing the battery disconnect. After getting home I determined that I had a bad BIRD (bi-directional isolator relay delay) it's mounted right behind the drivers seat under a carpeted box. It's job is to work with the BCC to automatically detect coach and chassis battery levels upon start up and either connect the two systems or not depending on battery levels. It allows for the chassis alternator to charge the house batteries or shore power to charge the chassis batteries depending on need.
I replaced it with the exact same unit part# 00-00362-100. Well today the same problem is back!!
What are the odds I have another bad BIRD?
It's possible, but we have been on numerous trips since replacing the unit and everything has worked perfectly. I have made no electrical mods since then so... what do you think? Anyone else have to replace this bad BIRD??
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #2

Not a bad BIRD! Problem solved. I got a private message from RamblerGuy this morning. He shared his thoughts on this subject. He got me thinking that maybe it wasn't a bad BIRD so with that in mind my troubleshooting went a different direction. I had charged my chassis battery and it's a new battery put in earlier this year before we bought it. I began taking some voltage readings with my digital voltmeter and confirmed I had a strong chassis battery. I then started checking connector voltage and noticed a drop in voltage. I decided to take a closer look at my chassis battery terminals. They have that red corrosion reducer stuff and look great but... they were not great. I cleaned them and now everything is working normally.

I'm convinced my original BIRD was bad because I did nothing but replace it and then everything was working properly. When the same exact symptoms showed up again after sever successful trips post new BIRD replacement, it seemed to me to be yet another bad BIRD.

Sometimes it's the simple things!
Thanks RamblerGuy for getting on a different path.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote