Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #1

Apple TV + wireless HDMI = whole 'house' entertainment

I'm a little bit of a geek anyway, and because we were camping during College football bowl season, I had looked for ideas on how to better integrate Apple TV into the 3170 entertainment system. Pretty happy with how it turned out, and thought I would share in case I wasn't the only one interested. I connected my Apple TV to the HDMI in on the front cabin TV via an IOGear wireless HDMI transmitter, and then connected the receiver behind the bedroom tv (in the closet). Great setup! A jail broken iPhone creates a wifi hotspot that I could connect both the Apple TV and my ipad to, so I could control and stream content from the ipad to both front and rear TVs. I could also stream ESPN from my phone to the TV as well. (No cable at this campground) Also, in the front, with the Magnadyne set to AV2, I got surround sound for the content being streamed. All very easy to set up, and fairly inexpensive.
Phrogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #2

I did a similar thing by hooking up a Lightning to HDMI adapter to the iPad and use a mobile wireless hub for connectivity. Downloaded movies look good but Netflix was a bit grainy but I'm not sure if it was the connection or the bandwidth available with the hub. Only problem we experienced was most of the areas we camped this past summer had spotty cellular coverage which I took as a sign to shut off the tube and go outside
CBergstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:10 PM   #3

Apple TV + wireless HDMI = whole 'house' entertainment

Nice setup.... I loved tinkering with the system.... My current 3010ds setup is high def sat tv and Apple TV at the midship... Hdmi 3 port distrobution box. Action tech hdmi wireless transmitter. Action tech hdmi receiver in the bedroom, and outside. I. Keep a 24" LCD in the doghouse stowed away for my college ball games Apple TV movies and shows. 4g verizon Miri card. I don't have the external speakers so I added a 2.1 PC sound system to one of the storage compartments..... I love roughing it!
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #4

I like it! I haven't added sat TV yet, but it is on the list. I've done my share of 'real camping' as part of my job. Now, roughing it means I don't have a cable connection at the campground.
Phrogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote