Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Are Paint Bubbles Common??

2017 Forester 3011DSF...

Just picked it up a few weeks ago or so. Noticed on the top side cap - the rounded portion that runs the length of the MH on both sides where the roof meets the vertical sides has bubbles in the paint but only in the first (darker) color. It happens on both sides, some large bubbles (filled with air) and some smaller ones.

It appears that during the painting process they either had some moisture in their gun or maybe some water was left prior to painting and the paint coated over it. Then evaporated underneath the paint leaving behind a bubble.

I've contacted Camping World (where I bought it from) and they don't seem to put forth a lot of effort to help their customers out after the sale... not sure if that is common amongst all Camping World's or just the one I happened to be lucky enough to go through. I spoke to them about having FR pay for a front end alignment and they didn't even submit my request so I had to do it on my own - FR approved it and have been very helpful in that regard. For the warranty work, I requested a tail light (seal broke) be replaced (it was approved) and the defective paint bubbles be taken care of.

I've got an e-mail into the same FR person I contacted on my alignment so hopefully he can help me out. He's been extremely helpful so far.

Are these paint bubbles common on the top side caps? My asst. service mngr at Camping World says his was like that (his was a 2013) and so it probably wouldn't get taken care of. I told him just because he was willing to accept his defective paint job OR didn't catch it soon enough, doesn't mean the rest of us should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SideViewTopCap.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	125349   Click image for larger version

Name:	SideViewCap.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	125353   Click image for larger version

Name:	TopSideCap.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	125354   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullPictureMH.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	125357  
Old 11-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #2

We also have an area with paint bubbles around one of the storage compartments. I sent an email and photo to FR, but have not gotten a response yet.
13STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13STL View Post
We also have an area with paint bubbles around one of the storage compartments. I sent an email and photo to FR, but have not gotten a response yet.
Once you get a response, please post back up on this thread if you don't mind. I'll do the same. If one of us gets it covered and one doesn't maybe we can share contact information or something to help the other (and others) out?!

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Class C Representative

For Future reference to everyone: Front end alignments are meant to be submitted by the owner not the dealership because it is done with an outside source.

1000RR, please PM in the following format

Name:

Email Address:

Phone Number:

Purchasing Dealer:

Servicing Dealer:

Issue:
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Cavitt View Post
For Future reference to everyone: Front end alignments are meant to be submitted by the owner not the dealership because it is done with an outside source.

1000RR, please PM in the following format

Joshua, thank you for your response. I am new to the warranty process as it relates to RVs so I appreciate your insight and sharing of the protocol. I'm just not use to having to go direct to the manufacturer in some cases, but not others. Again, thank you for your direction. I've sent you a PM.

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Looks to me that it is painted over caulking material like on roof photo, could have dribbled some onto side when doing roof.
Elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcheapo View Post
Looks to me that it is painted over caulking material like on roof photo, could have dribbled some onto side when doing roof.
No, not paint over caulk. These are air filled bubbles... as if there was water under it originally when the coach was painted and then it evaporated after the paint cured. You can actually see in the first picture one of the bubbles has already cracked/chipped away and you can see the white fiberglass underneath.

They are hollow.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000RR View Post
Once you get a response, please post back up on this thread if you don't mind. I'll do the same. If one of us gets it covered and one doesn't maybe we can share contact information or something to help the other (and others) out?!

Good luck!
Just wanted to let you know that we haven't heard back as yet. I will let you know when FR responds (hopefully soon).....
Old 11-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Just wanted to let you know that we haven't heard back as yet. I will let you know when FR responds (hopefully soon).....
Thanks, I will do the same as well. I haven't heard back yet, but I do know that things of this nature have to go a little higher for approval etc. so it could take a couple/few weeks maybe?
Old 11-23-2016, 08:23 AM   #10

Gotta wonder if that's results of paint gun sputter. Low pressure, dirty nozzle, etc.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #11

Quote:
I got an e-mail back today from Forest River and the gist of it was - they don't cover peeling of paint on top of the sealant (unless defective) but would if it was an actual paint defect. They went on to indicate that the way it was originally written up by the dealer was that the paint bubbles were directly on top of the sealant... in other words it was paint peeling on top of sealant (which it is not).

I responded and explained that these were physical air bubbles (with no sealant below them) and they were cracking and now showing the white fiberglass below. They responded quickly and said they would coordinate the repairs with my dealer.

Now... I wished I didn't have to go through all that just because my dealer can't listen and write up a claim properly.

Hats off to Forest River though... this is our first Forest River RV and so far I really like their willingness to take care of their customers where it is appropriate.

Thanks Forest River!
Old 11-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
I got an e-mail back today from Forest River and the gist of it was - they don't cover peeling of paint on top of the sealant (unless defective) but would if it was an actual paint defect. They went on to indicate that the way it was originally written up by the dealer was that the paint bubbles were directly on top of the sealant... in other words it was paint peeling on top of sealant (which it is not).

I responded and explained that these were physical air bubbles (with no sealant below them) and they were cracking and now showing the white fiberglass below. They responded quickly and said they would coordinate the repairs with my dealer.

Now... I wished I didn't have to go through all that just because my dealer can't listen and write up a claim properly.

Hats off to Forest River though... this is our first Forest River RV and so far I really like their willingness to take care of their customers where it is appropriate.

Thanks Forest River!

Those bubbles are on top of sealant. That gutter rail is sealed along that edge to the rounded coping. Its clear as day in your 2nd picture so it appears the dealer reported it correctly.

That being said its a BS way to paint something. It looks like they painted over the coping, sealant, gutter rail, and the vinyl snap trim on the gutter rail. 4 different materials painted over and the vinyl needs to be able to expand and contract at a different rate than the aluminum rail. Add to that it was probably painted before the sealants were fully cured. They jammed our vent covers, which should be removable, into fresh lap sealant so nothing really surprises me what I see come out of Indiana. Actually I am surprised it has not cracked or started peeling on the vinyl snap trim.

I would ask to see where in the warranty does it specifically exclude paint bubbling over the sealant. I also would ask how they consider bubbles in a brand new units paint not defective or a paint defect?

Sounds like they are blowing smoke.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Those bubbles are on top of sealant. That gutter rail is sealed along that edge to the rounded coping. Its clear as day in your 2nd picture so it appears the dealer reported it correctly.
That is an incorrect statement. If that's what it looks like in the pictures, then unfortunately the pictures are not "clear as day". I also have the luxury of crawling on top of the MH and inspecting these bubbles to see exactly what's underneath them... and it happens to be a void (no sealant, just air).

These bubbles are filled with air. They are not paint on top of sealant and hence the paint is peeling off the sealant. They are bubbles of air with nothing underneath of them. Are they in the same area as where you'd expect sealant - yes... but that does not mean you should have air filled pockets of paint regardless of its proximity near or far from sealed areas.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #14

Quote:
That is an incorrect statement. If that's what it looks like in the pictures, then unfortunately the pictures are not "clear as day". I also have the luxury of crawling on top of the MH and inspecting these bubbles to see exactly what's underneath them... and it happens to be a void (no sealant, just air).

These bubbles are filled with air. They are not paint on top of sealant and hence the paint is peeling off the sealant. They are bubbles of air with nothing underneath of them. Are they in the same area as where you'd expect sealant - yes... but that does not mean you should have air filled pockets of paint regardless of its proximity near or far from sealed areas.
Well believe what you want, I am just trying to be helpful.

Between the yellow arrows is sealant, and those bubble are over the sealant. Actually they are over the sealant and the top edge of the aluminum gutter rail molding. Sure there is nothing in them but air, they're bubbles. The paint has lifted. They would not be full of sealant. Now that I looked at it closer it appears there are gaps under the sealant and they painted right over it. (Green arrow). Since their was air in that pocket, or the sealants were not fully cured, that's what caused those bubbles. Sealants give off vapors while curing but in any case that's not a standard procedure to paint over 4 different things like that. It may be in the RV world but not anywhere else. When you have bump molding on a car door that is the same color as the door, does Ford stick it on first and paint them both at once? Also when that bubble pops or cracks it looks like a potential leak area because where every bubble is located the sealant from rail to coping is lifted.

IMO that definitely should be covered under the FR warranty despite what they are telling you. Don't take it from me, take it down to the closest reputable body shop and get whoever does their spraying to give you an opinion.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	125938  
Old 11-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Well believe what you want, I am just trying to be helpful.

...Since their was air in that pocket, or the sealants were not fully cured, that's what caused those bubbles. Sealants give off vapors while curing...
Now that's the best suggestion so far as to why this has occurred. I can fully agree with this. I can also agree that it should not be painted in that manner which you had also mentioned.

Interestingly, it was ONLY that one color that had the issue. So I suspect that was the first color they laid down... the subsequent colors further down on the side cap did not have this happen... which might indicate the sealant had that extra time to cure and "vapor off".

Good call Mr. Havercamp
Old 11-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #16

It may have been almost 40 years ago but I took body and fender in a high school vo-tech program for 3 years, and actually learned a little instead of doing it just to get out of half a day of regular high school. I did not do much afterwards working in the trade, but I did some and I can still lay down an almost flawless paint job.
Most of it is in the prep.

I'd be pushing FR on this one hard, that's a manufacturing defect plain and simple and more importantly a potential leak if that sealant is indeed pulled away.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #17

They said they'd coordinate the repair with the dealer, so I presume it will get taken care of accordingly. What exactly that means, I'll make sure I know before they start. I also plan to get on top of the roof with the dealer's tech/painter and knock off each air bubble one by one so that we can all see the bare fiberglass below as well as inspect the sealant part as you mentioned. I just want to try and only have to make one visit to the dealer for this issue.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:51 AM   #18

I also got a reply...FR told me that ours would be covered. They noted our case and it will be fixed next Spring.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #19

I'm not sure what was or was not painted over except for 1 thing, it was NOT water. Paint doesn't stick to water, not then, not now, not ever!!
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote