Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #1

"Authorized Repair" ????

I own a 2012 3010DS and love it. Earlier this year I needed a repair (nothing big). I normally go to Camping World in Garner, NC. They have been good for me. However this time since it wasn't a big repair, I looked online at the Forest River site under "Authorized Repair Dealer". There was one listed near me, Riverside Camping Center. I called and they said that they only worked on what they sold, but I could call their repair shop (different location) and see if they could help. I called and they repeated that they only service/repair what was sold at the Sales Center, but they might be able to look at it in 6 months or so, if their normal workload was too much with their stuff. WHAT!!!!?? How can they be listed as an Authorized Repair place if they only sell and work on their stuff sold!?? Really pretty S*#@y! I don't think Forest River should continue to list them. They don't promote any Forest River RVs and from my one experience, they aren't very good to deal with....
rcstroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:41 PM   #2

Very common throughout the industry, no matter what brand. Their dealer agreement does not require them to work on anything they did not sell.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:46 PM   #3

It is very normal for folks to assume that the RV industry is like the Auto industry which it is not as you found out. Look for a local independent RV repair place that will do the work and establish a relationship with them.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Site Team

If it's not a repair that's being done under any kind of warranty (and I'm assuming since yours is a 2012 your warranty is long gone), it doesn't matter if the person doing the repair is authorized by FR or not.

Just search for an independent repair shop. I know of at least 2 around me that have mobile repairmen as well.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #5

I would suggest looking for an RV repair company or mobile RV repair company. These companies will generally repair any RV as this is their business. Dealers are usually worthless for RV repairs.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

Thanks to all. I can understand if they only work on what they sell... reasonable, but to be Iisted on FR website when they don't is my rub. It's all good... I'll avoid them in future and take what i see on FR site with grain of salt. Thanks to all responses
rcstroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:22 PM   #7

aggravating, maybe, but WHY do you think you can 'only' use THAT repair facility? Anyone, under warranty, can work on your coach, and receive the normal FR warranty payout. The only thing they have to do is call FR to approve the work.
Your warranty doesn't 'require' you to use any special FR' authorized repair dealer '.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
Broken Toe

FR can't even be bothered to have pictures available on their website of most of their products, so I wouldn't hold my breath on getting them to update their list of "authorized" anythings.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

as for the 'we don't work on what we didn't sell' comment, that's pretty common, though it's really just a way for the dealership to cut down on too much work at once, pushing their own customers back too far and aggravating them. It stands to reason that they would put their own customers first, that's what anyone would want from their dealer. But, it's also another way to say ' we are too backed up with service now and it will take too long to get to you '.

Years ago I had the same aggravation with an insurance agency. I called and asked them for a quote... "sure, what vehicles do you have", they asked. I responded..."a truck, it's the only one I want to insure right now". Wrong answer.
They quickly relayed to me that they would not quote or insure only 'some' of my vehicles, but must insure all of them at once, even if the others were still with another company.

Not understanding that rationale, I was miffed, aggravated, and just hung up on them, after squeaking out a "I'll never do business with your agency, then!" quickly.

Well, now that I have been an agent and insurance agency owner for over two decades, I see their point... some businesses make decisions based on past experiences, usually bad ones. When someone only insures a single vehicle, it can sometimes lead to issues with multiple policies with different companies, and may later create liability issues. They just don't want to deal with it.

Dealers are the same. If you want them to 'work' on your RV, then they certainly have the right to decide under what conditions THEY 'want' to work on your RV...sometimes only AFTER their own customers, and some may have realized that they NEVER get finished with their own customers RVs, so they will never have time for 'others'. It's easier for them just to say to you what was said, instead of making it even worse with a long explanation. FUN! : )

Don't sweat, you can always go back to CW : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
Site Team

I still don't understand, with a RV clearly out of warranty, why the OP feels it's necessary for a FR "Authorized Repair" shop.
Whether it's authorized or not, it doesn't involve FR.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
Enjoying Life

Some people see the "authorized" as a type of endorsement that the repair shop is familiar with the product and might be better equipped to handle the unit.
But, I agree any competent independent can do the job.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #12

I've used both dealer and independent shops, and find little difference in the work done, except the independents are usually more responsive. However, if you're dealing in a recall/safety issue, you must use a authorized shop, according to federal law (or so I've been told by FR).
Old 10-25-2018, 01:18 PM   #13

There is a web site that has user comments and ratings on RV service companies. The site covers motorhomes and towables. Here is the url:
RV Service Reviews

I have used several of the companies listed on this website for service when I am on the road. Users can also add their comments.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcstroll View Post
I own a 2012 3010DS and love it. Earlier this year I needed a repair (nothing big). I normally go to Camping World in Garner, NC. They have been good for me. However this time since it wasn't a big repair, I looked online at the Forest River site under "Authorized Repair Dealer". There was one listed near me, Riverside Camping Center. I called and they said that they only worked on what they sold, but I could call their repair shop (different location) and see if they could help. I called and they repeated that they only service/repair what was sold at the Sales Center, but they might be able to look at it in 6 months or so, if their normal workload was too much with their stuff. WHAT!!!!?? How can they be listed as an Authorized Repair place if they only sell and work on their stuff sold!?? Really pretty S*#@y! I don't think Forest River should continue to list them. They don't promote any Forest River RVs and from my one experience, they aren't very good to deal with....
Most of us have learned to do our own repairs !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #15
Site Team

This subject has been covered pretty well but I'll add my 2¢ anyway.
(bet you don't have a cent key on your keyboard!)

I assume the OP is asking about a Sunseeker I must wonder if they were looking for an engine/drivetrain repair or part of the coach body/appliances/cabinets?
That could make a difference in where to take it.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 08:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
This subject has been covered pretty well but I'll add my 2¢ anyway.
(bet you don't have a cent key on your keyboard!)

I assume the OP is asking about a Sunseeker I must wonder if they were looking for an engine/drivetrain repair or part of the coach body/appliances/cabinets?
That could make a difference in where to take it.
Your Right,,, I have always wondered why there is no cent key ???
There should be one on the numbers pad !!! Maybe a small c would work ???
2c ???

Old 10-26-2018, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Your Right,,, I have always wondered why there is no cent key ???
There should be one on the numbers pad !!! Maybe a small c would work ???
2c ???

Alt-155 for windows, Opt-4 for Mac, or ¢ € £ ¥ ₽ ₩ ₪ ฿ ₫ ₴ ₹
Old 10-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #18

I hit alt 155 and it took me to FAQ ???
¢¢ Hey got it that time !!!

Tags
repair