Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 10:25 AM   #1

Auto Generator Start

Has anyone added an automatic generator start controller to your 3051SS?

I'm looking at the Magnum Auto Generator Start – Stand Alone (ME-AGS-S) I've seen installed on a Class C from another manufacturer and Onan makes a Onan Wireless Auto-Start EC-30W.

It's not an option on my new 3051SS but with an Australian Terrier that will have to be left behind on some of our adventures, I'd like some backup in case we lose power.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Have you contacted the manufacturer to ask the same question, which one do they recommend and do they instructions for our Generator Model?
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:21 PM   #3

I'd like to know more about the EC-30W setup for my 3051S also. Maybe Brian can chime in on this. How will the coach react when shore power is lost and the gen set turns on? What do we need? The controller and y connector? Sure would want to do this with Brian's guidance!

Frank
2013 Elantra GT (Toad)
WashU EMBA "39
ourflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Not sure we can help here. Never tested or used an auto start. I'm guessing it would would just like a home generator if power is lost.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:52 AM   #5

These are the models for our (3051ss) generators and looking at the Install Instructions, the Onan w/ the Remote comes with a "Y" thats almost plug and play. The Magnum looks like a simple cut and splice operation.

I saw the Magnum on another Class C (Coachman Chateau 31W) and thought if they can do it, why can't we. It also had a 1800 watt inverter but I'll run with what I brought to the dance in that area and see how well it holds up.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #6

I can tell you, I had the EC-30W installed on my old 40 footer, and it NEVER WORKED. It would constantly lose it's signal to the remote start unit on the generator, and no one ever figured out why - after continually fiddling with it, I gave up and chocked it up to a loss. It didn't matter where I located the unit, forget it.

Now if the unit was WIRED to the generator, I would trust that wayyy more.
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #7

The pricing alone would make up any extra cost to have the Magnum installed. When I looked at the pricing it was ~$250 for the Magnum and $800 for the Onan Wireless. Ouch.
Creativepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

was wondering if any of you actually went ahead with the install? I looked at my thermostat (digital for a single AC/Heatpump Dometic unit)- There is a lead on that onan EC-30 kit which links to your stat, there is a lead to the coach battery (to cut in if the batteries need charging), a lead to the starter battery, etc
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator