Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2019, 11:06 PM   #1

Awning lights

Found something new today. I finished up the LED installation on my awning arms and the added awning poles. I tapped into the awning LED strip for power to the added lights. But, there was now a lot of light...too much at times, even when adjusting the output via the Solera Smart Arm light intensity control.

Since the pole lights were originally battery powered there were previously installed switches to control them. So, I could turn the system on and then extinguish the pole lights but not the white strip of LEDs. I then added another switch just for the white strip. All’s good since I can now have white lights, blue lights or any combination of them.

Now it gets interesting. I needed to drive to my selling dealer location for some minor, but accumulated, warranty work. I always come in the night before my appointment so I don’t have to drive in the morning rush hour traffic. The dealer had blocked off a site in their lot which was between two 40+ foot Entegra motor homes. Since it was really dark and I didn’t have a spotter I used the iPhone app to turn on the pax side awning lights. No lights. Very frustrating to see this failure after all the work I had done. The app would say the lights were on but they definitely were not.

I left the engine running so I could run the levelers. Checked the new switches but still no lights. After leveling I shut the engine off and the lights immediately came on. Turns out that if the ignition is on the awning lights are disabled. They still show on the app and the control panel. All units I’ve previously had did not lock out the awning lights at any time.

Wonder what other interesting behavior is going to show up on the Forester.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #2

Awning it self won't go in or out if the engine is running. I found out once while breaking camp. Since it was cold, thought I start the engine while finishing up. Awning was the last to go away, didn't! Took a half hour to figure out what was wrong!
Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Awning it self won't go in or out if the engine is running. I found out once while breaking camp. Since it was cold, thought I start the engine while finishing up. Awning was the last to go away, didn't! Took a half hour to figure out what was wrong!
That’s the way it’s supposed to work. There’s another thread here about some units being reversed...key ON for awning and slides.

I wasn’t aware the lights were included in the safety lockouts. But, seems logical with the Smart Arm because the awning motor and lights have a common electrical connection area at the base of the awning attach point (in addition to the One Contro panels and the phone/pad apps).
Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 PM   #4

On the 5 function controller there is a connection to operate one light. In your case this is used for the awning light. Since the power is disconnected from the 5 function controller at the BCC with the engine running your slide, awning, & awning lights will be disabled.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #5

Sunseeker awning light power source
timmr50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, forester, light