RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #21
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
While you are looking, carefully inspect the rear arm and track. If it is exactly where it should be, I'm not seeing how the awning material can cause the front arm to not align with the track. The roller itself determines the distance between the arms, not the material from what I can figure. I have the same issue with mine but always figured they installed the front track about a 1/2 too far towards the rear of the mh.
Experience shows the material will move the arms just enough to cause the problem. If you choose not to accept others experience, good luck in fixing the problem and make sure you post on the forum what the cure is. We are all interested.

BTW, your pictures clearly show the material is not centered on the roller.
Old 10-28-2016, 04:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Experience shows the material will move the arms just enough to cause the problem. If you choose not to accept others experience, good luck in fixing the problem and make sure you post on the forum what the cure is. We are all interested.
Oh no, I love everyone's experience on this forum. Just trying to wrap my head around how moving the material around on the roller will change the length of the roller. If BOTH arms are off fitting into the rails, I can see how moving the material could solve the problem. However, if only one arm is off, moving the whole material over would seem to them cause the other arm not to fit on the rail. The length of the roller does not change.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #23

Quote:
Oh no, I love everyone's experience on this forum. Just trying to wrap my head around how moving the material around on the roller will change the length of the roller. If BOTH arms are off fitting into the rails, I can see how moving the material could solve the problem. However, if only one arm is off, moving the whole material over would seem to them cause the other arm not to fit on the rail. The length of the roller does not change.
His arm is misaligned. I have mine pop riveted to center it. What happens when you put to much tension on one side it will not come in over the U attached to the trailer just bend it back in alignment. It happens to me all the time has nothing to do with stretching, Try it you will see. If you use poles and off set for rain fall I guarantee it will happen. Okay now everyone tell me I'm wrong, come on I'm waiting. Mine been doing that since I installed the poles. I just push it over and it winds all the way and my unit is 4 years old... PS: people love to complicate things.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #24

Taking the Sandpiper in on Wed for same issue.. I had to manually roll it up. motor only clicks, will not move in either direction,and I was 500 mile from home when this happened. Used tie wire to secure the awning.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Mine never fails to close and I've had self storing poles longer than anyone on this forum. If you look closely, you will see when it happens, the roller is closer on the torsion end than the motor end. I agree that the roller does not change length, but it does get "cocked" just slightly because the tension on the awning material is just slightly greater on the motor end. Another trick is putting 4 or 5 additional turns in the torsion spring to even out the tension on the material.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccsvolsfan View Post
Taking the Sandpiper in on Wed for same issue.. I had to manually roll it up. motor only clicks, will not move in either direction,and I was 500 mile from home when this happened. Used tie wire to secure the awning.
Now that's a different problem, probably a bad motor take a meter and measure the voltage if you are getting 12v to the plug you have a bad motor....

Old 10-28-2016, 07:08 PM   #27

I am a dissenter on the popular opinion that it's the awning material. On my 2014 Trilogy, I had a similar problem. The forward awning arm would close correctly at the bottom, but the top would not set itself in place. It was always hung up. I'd get the ladder, give the awning arm a smack and usually it would go into place.

Earlier this year we had $30,000+ in storm damage to our Trilogy. Some of the damage required filling a hole in the sidewall near the forward awning arm (2x4 went into the wall), plus the awning had to be changed due to storm damage (awning was not deployed, it was pummeled by a storage facilities roof).

I had the body shop fill in the mounting holes for the forward awning arm when they repaired the 2x4 damage. When the RV repair facility mounted the new awning, they drilled new mount holes, this time in vertical alignment with the top ones. Results? PROBLEM SOLVED! The RV manufacturer mounted the original awning out of plumb. It was previously proven (and acknowledged by the RV MFGR) with a 4 foot level held against the old awning arm while I was at the factory.

Just my two cents (worth less than a wooden knuckle for those of us that know what that is).

John
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter, Garnett See Level Tank Sensors, TST 507 TPMS
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hagen View Post
When the RV repair facility mounted the new awning, they drilled new mount holes, this time in vertical alignment with the top ones. Results? PROBLEM SOLVED! The RV manufacturer mounted the original awning out of plumb. It was previously proven (and acknowledged by the RV MFGR) with a 4 foot level held against the old awning arm while I was at the factory.Just my two cents (worth less than a wooden knuckle for those of us that know what that is).John
Yes, that is my take on my specific issue. Mine is such a minor issue, I really don't want to drill new holes to align the rail. I noticed it when new on delivery, but was on a schedule to get out of town so I let it go. Looking forward to the OP's take on the situation
Old 10-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #29

I ran into the same problem of the arms not retracting completely the first year we had our trailer. Not exactly sure how it got that way, but, I opened up the awning again and gave the arms a slight push as my wife pressed the button on the electric roller and rolled it back up. Arms went together just fine and haven't had the problem since. Maybe you will get lucky like me.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes, that is my take on my specific issue. Mine is such a minor issue, I really don't want to drill new holes to align the rail. I noticed it when new on delivery, but was on a schedule to get out of town so I let it go. Looking forward to the OP's take on the situation
Slot the rail that is against the wall. No new holes. BUT, I would try my original fix first. Much easier and much more likely to be the problem.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChuck View Post
I ran into the same problem of the arms not retracting completely the first year we had our trailer. Not exactly sure how it got that way, but, I opened up the awning again and gave the arms a slight push as my wife pressed the button on the electric roller and rolled it back up. Arms went together just fine and haven't had the problem since. Maybe you will get lucky like me.

This approach worked for me too. Fully extended and gave it a good tug. Been fine since.

Forester 2451s
Old 10-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Slot the rail that is against the wall. No new holes. BUT, I would try my original fix first. Much easier and much more likely to be the problem.
Good idea. The top only needs to be to the right by about 3/8 of an inch. I'll try the centering idea first. Waiting to see what the OP comes up with first.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #33

Did you ever get this looked at/corrected OP?
Old 11-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #34

My rig is in the shop for multiple warranty repairs. At this point I'm just going to let them take care of it and ask them how they fixed it.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:18 PM   #35

My awning motor was defective. Being replaced.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
My rig is in the shop for multiple warranty repairs. At this point I'm just going to let them take care of it and ask them how they fixed it.
Thanks. I'll be very interested to know what they did. See if you can detect a difference in the placing of the long vertical side wall mounting brackets.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #37
Mod free 5er

Centering the material solves 99.99% of the problems like this. The factory has to mount them in the closed position, so the likelihood of the brackets being off is extremely remote.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #38

The dealer said "no problem found" yet you can look at it and see that it's not right. Guess I will have to try and fix this on my own as it's likely I not be able to address it till the spring and my warranty will have expired by then.
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 03:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
The dealer said "no problem found" yet you can look at it and see that it's not right. Guess I will have to try and fix this on my own as it's likely I not be able to address it till the spring and my warranty will have expired by then.
Centering the material and putting a 3/8" pop rivet is a good idea but I think there has been 4 of use that just smacked it over to close, it will only close to the rivets in the rail attached to the wall. These thinks are so flimsy that even off setting for rain can cause this. Just push it over the 3/8" and run it in and out a couple of times. It happens to me all the time and that's all I do....

Old 12-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #40

But the stealer said nothing to see here, move on. Man, I would have said. "listen between you and me you really don't want my wife to come in here do you" If that didn't work, nothing would have!
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning