Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

back up camera while driving?

Hello- I have a 2017 3010DS. The rear camera turns on the screen when backing up but does anyone know if I can have the rear camera view my tow vehicle while driving? much appreciated
Let the good times roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let the good times roll View Post
Hello- I have a 2017 3010DS. The rear camera turns on the screen when backing up but does anyone know if I can have the rear camera view my tow vehicle while driving? much appreciated
Depends on the camera you have and the laws in your state. Some cameras are only designed for back up only, others like the Observation unit can be on all the time.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:05 PM   #3

Mine is on anytime I turn it on. Nice being able to see the toad!
Old 06-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
Wait till next year...

My 2015 has the rear/side view cameras on the rear view mirror.Controls to switch on the cameras are on the passenger side
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

I just need to push the on button on the front of the screen to turn it on. I use it all the time as an electronic rear view mirror. The only problem I've found is that after dark I need to shut it off as the headlights on the cars behind me cause too much glare. Check your owner's manual, mine explains how to wire the system so that it turns on automatically. The only reason I didn't do that is as mentioned, night time glare from following vehicles.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 06:45 PM   #6

I have mine angled down to keep an eye on the hitch.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I have mine angled down to keep an eye on the hitch.
Same here. Plus, if I angle it any further up to watch the toad, I won't be able to have an accurate view of how far away I am to objects as I back up.
That's why I have been looking for another camera to view and RECORD what's going on around the toad. Still no luck.[emoji16]

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #8

I have a wireless camera that ties into my Magellan, but it does not record. I have not seen any like that other then the next you put in the windshield.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #9

Same here - first thing I do when we head out is turn on the rear-view so I can keep a eye on the Toad
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #10

We must have the same camera system because mine does the same thing as the OP's. There is a "hack" to the system in order to have it on all the time, suggested to me in this forum and on the manufacture's web site. To keep the camera on all the time, you have to rewire the control box found under your dash. If I remember correctly, and that is somewhat questionable with my age, you remove the blue wire from the control box and connect it to a constant-on 12v positive wire. And, no, I have not done this yet.

I suggest that you look up the manufacturer's web site and determine if you can "hack" the camera.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusLwt001 View Post
Depends on the camera you have and the laws in your state. Some cameras are only designed for back up only, others like the Observation unit can be on all the time.
To add onto this - is there any way to adjust the rear view camera when watching the Toad to get a better view of traffic behind you?
Afawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 12:19 PM   #12

You have to loosen the screws that hold it to turn how you want. The more out the less you see right behind.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #13

I angled mine down to assist in connecting the trailer.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #14

I tried a wireless setup, but with a 34 ft trailer found it to be unreliable in reception. I got a combo 50 ft cable off ebay that would handle 12v power and rca plug for video. I routed it along the chassis to the hitch. When I am towing I toss the cable in the Yukon through the back door window. I plug the cable into the accessory port and to the monitor. The power makes the camera operate all the time and the monitor allows for complete coverage in the rear.... what's behind you, what's coming up, lane change safety, etc. I much prefer this setup over mirrors that have blind spots. Have used it three seasons now and it has proven very reliable.
Jfoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let the good times roll View Post
If I am correct, you have a Rear View Safety camera and a monitor in place of the rear view mirror. This system will always come on when in reverse gear. On the right side of the monitor "mirror" is a vertical row of touch screen buttons. The lower most button will turn the "rear view" camera on/off. But when the ignition is turned off, it turns the "rear view " camera off. When the ignition is turned on, you have to again press the on. Not sure which one of the other touch pad buttons it is, but it will also turn the camera off, but the screen will display "no signal".

A rear view camera has two circuits. One is a trigger that actuates when the trans is placed in reverse. The second circuit functions when the ignition is on. You will notice that when the rear view circuit is on and the the vehicle is placed in reverse, the screen goes blank for an instant because of the circuit change and again when taken out of reverse.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #16

That's how mine is. Since I have it on all the time, never noticed what it does going into reverse.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #17

Don't have a Sunseeker, but this may help...

In my coach, I leave the backup camera on all the time. Just very comforting to see my toad back there... But, since I leave that image on my radio all the time, it makes changing the music, using the phone, and GPS functions awkward to use.

After going over several options, I decided to go with a separate monitor just for the cameras. I went with a 7" quad-camera monitor from Crimestopper SV-8900.QM.II (Crimestopper™ Automotive Safety & Security Products). It can display 4 cameras simultaneously, or any camera on full screen.

I also wanted a dash cam, but with a 44' coach, only some of the areas of concern occur in the front, so I ordered a Crimestopper UBB-4.CQ Quad channel DVR. I'm feeding front, back, and both side view cameras through the DVR and to the stand-alone monitor.

I feed the output of the DVR to the video input of my new headunit (Pioneer AVIC-8200) - (the one the factory installed is a POS). So, I can view recorded video without hassles...

The best part is that nothing I've installed makes it look like I have any kind of dash cam. I'm quite careful and deliberate driving - so if something happens, I will have 4 views recorded to show exactly what happened. But, heaven forbid I do screw up - there's nothing visible that announces I've got a DVR...

Still waiting for the last of the equipment to show up. Should have it up and
running in a couple of days.
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #18

Towed the boat to the city today. Completely disappears behind the MH.
Was quite thankful for the rear camera.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:07 PM   #19
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I have a wireless camera that ties into my Magellan, but it does not record. I have not seen any like that other then the next you put in the windshield.
Yeah, you'd think SOMEONE would come up with a 2 camera RECORDABLE system for RV's; whether it's a motor home or TT, 5er, pup, etc. Wireless would be preferable so we wouldn't need to try and hide cables, etc.

But, in the meantime, I guess I'll get 2 single lens dash cameras that record. I do have a tendency to be a bit anal with security. Fort Knox ain't got nothing on the security in and around my home!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:53 PM   #20

I have the basic Furion back up camera. Everything I read prior to purchase is that it will only work in reverse. I found on this trip that is NOT true. Forest River wires it to the running lights. Therefore, as long as my running lights were on the camera worked full time. My real problem was that because of the distance, camera to monitor - about 45' , the signal was weak and the live action at times went out. But still very usable.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
back up camera