Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

Batteries

I want to make sure my batteries don't die when I go on a long trip this spring/summer. I have one house battery now. If I want two, should I get 2 six-volt or can I get 2 twelve volt? I think I've decided to get ACMs. Can I get these installed at a battery store, or is it best to go to an RV dealer? Thanks for your help!
cmartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #2

To give you the most correct answer the forum needs to know the make, model and year of your rig. the type of batteries you install really depend on the type of camping you intend to do. Be honest with yourself when you consider the type of camping many folks spend tons of money on batteries to fit their dream (boondocking) when most of their camping is in campgrounds. Myself I would stick with the type of batteries that came with the rig. either or for installation, I would install them myself
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:03 AM   #3

Lots of prior posts here and other RV forums about batteries. Generally speaking, two 6v gives you more usable amps than two 12v, but at greater initial cost. I've only ever had two 12v and find they're okay for one overnight stop, but not enough without big solar panels or genset recharging.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Have Camera will Travel

We have two AGM 12 volt batteries in our rig. They last a couple of nights if you have the furnace on. You have to be careful of discharging them too far.
I've been looking at upgrading. The 6 volt GC batteries are much taller and won't fit where the 12 volts go. They are also wet cell which means that you have to keep an eye on them.
As far as changing a battery its no different than changing one in your car.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #5

Thank you for your answers. I thought my profile included my RV type--A 2019 Forester LE, 25 ft. I am hoping to boondock for a couple of days here and there. If I leave the electrical switch on (but nothing running) it goes dead and I need a jump start for the vehicle. Unfortunately I can't see the sides or lift the battery myself.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartz View Post
Thank you for your answers. I thought my profile included my RV type--A 2019 Forester LE, 25 ft. I am hoping to boondock for a couple of days here and there. If I leave the electrical switch on (but nothing running) it goes dead and I need a jump start for the vehicle. Unfortunately I can't see the sides or lift the battery myself.
Your user profile does include some information. I think that if you put it in you 'signature' like mine, it would help. Go up to UserCP on the top bar and choose 'Edit Signature'

You should be ok for a couple of days and you do have a generator if you need to charge the house batteries.

I don't know what the requirements are for your vehicle, but if you're worried, you might buy a portable car jumper (not recommending this one, just giving you a place to start) https://smile.amazon.com/BIUBLE-Batt...278298&sr=8-10
They also make ones that will jump your batteries and inflate your tires, but they cost a bit more. We carry the jump starter and a separate tire inflator.
In theory, if both batteries died, you could jump start the engine and/or the house batteries to get you going.and the generator started to take in the slide.

We've used the car starter several times on both cars and the rv. Got the idea when we called to get our car started and the tow truck driver used a supersized one (to start big rigs) to get the battery started.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:45 PM   #7

Thanks! I changed my signature to include my rig. I have a starter but I don't think it's strong enough. Do you have AAA or Forest River Roadside Asst?
Old 02-25-2021, 02:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartz View Post
Thanks! I changed my signature to include my rig. I have a starter but I don't think it's strong enough. Do you have AAA or Forest River Roadside Asst?
Even if it wouldn't start the vehicle battery, it would probably start the house batteries which would allow you to start the generator and take in the slide. After some charging, you should be able to jump start the vehicle battery from the house battery with the switch (don't know where it is on your rig though)
We joined the Family Motorcoach Association (FMCA) because they have medical and rig return protection as part of their membership. We also have Coach-Net, but any roadside assistance will do if they are capable of towing your rig and will go to your boondocking site. Just check in advance.

Tags
batteries