Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 04:16 PM   #1

Batteries, Batteries, Converter

Good Day to All,

I own a 2013 forester 3011 DS. Since the beginning this RV has had a problem with the 12v Batteries. the first set of Delco's were replaced by the Dealer when after a week of dry camping one had depleted beyond repair and the other was weak.

The second set faired a little better but after 6 months of several full hook up trips one was bad and the other was recharged and saved. The cycle repeated itself approximate 12 months later.

Since both Delco's were out of warranty I replaced both with new Interstates. The dealer told me that they had problems with the Delco brand so they stopped buying the Delco brand and started purchasing Interstates.

Last week, while attending the RV Show in Pomona California, I had the opportunity to express my complaint to the Forester factory Rep Jeremy. He told me that my problem was most likely connected to the WFCO Converter that was taking 39 hours of continuous 110 power to bring the batteries to 90% charge. Further that several months ago Forester stated installing a different converter that would bring the batteries back to 90% charge in 4 hours.

I called Forester and spoke with the warranty guy, Russ, he told me that he did not know anything about the converter but that a different power distribution center was being installed in the new models and that some older, out of warranty, Foresters were being approved for a power distribution center replacement; and that based on my VIN it appeared that mine was eligible.

I called the dealer , they submitted the claimed that was denied. I am waiting to hear why. . However, I am out of patience so I am using this forum to vent and to ask if any of you out there in Forester land have any information regarding this circumstance or had a similar experience.

Thanks for reading,

Tom
campingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Altho I'm no fan of wfco converters my camper has one and has worked fine with two interstate batteries since 2011

BTW a wfco converter goes into float mode after 48 hours.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:53 PM   #3

Had the same problems Batteries dead very trip. Finally got the Control Center replaced. Problem solved.
2014 Forester 3051s
2013 Fiat 500 Sport
Workin on my Curmudgeon badge
rapiniii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #4

We've had similar problems...the converter went bad. Can you hear your converter running ? Sounds like a small fan running under your bed. We were camping in Glacier Nat'l park when ours went. Didn't know it was the converter..thought the battery's had died on us. Bought new battery's and they died too. Called our dealer..told us is was the converter that we could recharge the battery's with a charger to make due until we got back home. If you can not hear that converter running it's not working.
Frank & Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #5

Power Wire Gauge Battery -> Converter

I'm in the process of my solar installation and it seems wire gauge is really important to minimize voltage drop. Looking at my factory installed red positive wire from the battery to power converter (WFCO) it appears to be 8 AWG. WFCO charge at a max of 14.4 where Trojan Batteries suggest 14.6-14.8. With the voltage loss you will never be able to fully charge the battery bank.

8AWG

0AWG

Voltage Drop Calculator

If you are upgrading your converter you may consider upgrading the power wire from the converter to the battery.

Has anyone done this upgrade and seen any improvements.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingtom View Post
Good Day to All,

Last week, while attending the RV Show in Pomona California, I had the opportunity to express my complaint to the Forester factory Rep Jeremy. He told me that my problem was most likely connected to the WFCO Converter that was taking 39 hours of continuous 110 power to bring the batteries to 90% charge. Further that several months ago Forester stated installing a different converter that would bring the batteries back to 90% charge in 4 hours.

Tom
I am the one that pushed for the Progressive Dynamics switch. It was not because we were having issues with batteries...most of the industry uses the WFCO converter and has good luck with it. I pushed for it because the users on here spoke very highly of it. When a converter went bad, everyone said not to bother with WFCO, get the PD. So for the few dollars extra it seemed worth it for me. In testing the Progressive Dynamics quickly noticed a badly drained battery and went into boost mode. The WFCO was slower in recognizing the dead battery and would often times just go into float, not going into boost for a while.

Battery issues are very hard to diagnose. In many cases, usage is the culprit. (not saying that is the case, but unless you diagnose a specific issue then that has to be in play). If the batteries are drained down below 50% you start to lose charging capacity. Most people don't realize that the disconnect needs to be in the ON position to charge the batteries. When dry camping you need to make sure you are not letting them get too low. The fact that you had the issue when plugged in is more puzzling but not unheard of. Testing of the converter/charge line would be the first step before replacement under warranty.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Commercial Member

One more note. The power distribution box is the box just as you come in the door on the left (step well area). We got those from Wurth for a time being and had some issues with the BIM. If the BIM was replaced normally that took care of the issues.

I your unit was a Precision Circuits model, then those have had no issues.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I am the one that pushed for the Progressive Dynamics switch. It was not because we were having issues with batteries...most of the industry uses the WFCO converter and has good luck with it. I pushed for it because the users on here spoke very highly of it.
Are you saying that Forest River is making the switch to PD converters? I just bought a 2015 8280WS. Is it possible my trailer has a PD converter?
Ham_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham_Bone View Post
Are you saying that Forest River is making the switch to PD converters? I just bought a 2015 8280WS. Is it possible my trailer has a PD converter?
Not necessarily forest river as a whole.
Sunseeker in general.

Turbs
Old 10-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
Commercial Member

What turbs said. This is a Forester sub forum. I only handle the Class C's.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #11

Upgrading the positive wire (8AWG) from battery -> converter may also help with getting full voltage during charging. In my case, this wire is 20ft long and is above the recommended <3% voltage loss.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #12

Thank You Everyone,

Brian, my system has been looked at more than once by the dealer without finding a reason. Our first, dry camping, was to Yosemite in November 2012 at Thanksgiving We took delivery of the coach on September 15, 2012. Prior to leaving the batteries were fully charged and our first night was spent in a full hook up KOA. Our first night in Yosemite the heater shut off and we had no power. the next morning I found that both batteries were just barley making 12v. I ran the generator, illegally, for 8 continuous hours . The meter showed 12.8v and the idiot light showed full. the batteries did not last the night. the next day I ran the generator and attached a battery tender that was plugged into the coach. Once again the batteries showed full but did not last the night. This process repeated each night we were there. Not much fun in the rain and cold. Took it to the dealer they diagnosed
bad battery and replaced both. Next dry camping trip process repeated. Back to the dealer. So far I have had 6 replaced batteries, the last 2 I paid for. Now two years later I am a little frustrated and when I had the opportunity to explain to a factory rep at the RV show is when I learned that the solution may be in replacing the "Power distribution Box." I am going to call dealer and get it in for testing of the entire charging system.. my converter and the fuse/ breaker box are both WFCO and I suspect that that is what the dealer asked to be replaced. I have a call in to check. thank You for your information it was very helpful. I will post later with the final results. Tom
Old 10-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Thank You Everyone,

Brian, my system has been looked at more than once by the dealer without finding a reason. Our first, dry camping, was to Yosemite in November 2012 at Thanksgiving We took delivery of the coach on September 15, 2012. Prior to leaving the batteries were fully charged and our first night was spent in a full hook up KOA. Our first night in Yosemite the heater shut off and we had no power. the next morning I found that both batteries were just barley making 12v. I ran the generator, illegally, for 8 continuous hours . The meter showed 12.8v and the idiot light showed full. the batteries did not last the night. the next day I ran the generator and attached a battery tender that was plugged into the coach. Once again the batteries showed full but did not last the night. This process repeated each night we were there. Not much fun in the rain and cold. Took it to the dealer they diagnosed
bad battery and replaced both. Next dry camping trip process repeated. Back to the dealer. So far I have had 6 replaced batteries, the last 2 I paid for. Now two years later I am a little frustrated and when I had the opportunity to explain to a factory rep at the RV show is when I learned that the solution may be in replacing the "Power distribution Box." I am going to call dealer and get it in for testing of the entire charging system.. my converter and the fuse/ breaker box are both WFCO and I suspect that that is what the dealer asked to be replaced. I have a call in to check. thank You for your information it was very helpful. I will post later with the final results. Tom
You are out of warranty, I would install the progressive direct replacement for the WFCO. Being that you boondock you can use the wizard. That will force your 4 stage charger into 14.6 volts, less time charging. It will bring your battery up to 90% then drop to 13.6 to 100%. WFCO systems do not have that option and will not go into float at 13.2 for 48 hrs reading no parasites or it will not drop to float at all. Progressive will read the parasites and stay in float. I'll attach a link, get rid of the WFCO it only ruining your batteries. The cost difference is like $30.00 bucks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Progressive.pdf (443.5 KB, 57 views)

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Quote:
Thank You Everyone,

I learned that the solution may be in replacing the "Power distribution Box." I am going to call dealer and get it in for testing of the entire charging system.. my converter and the fuse/ breaker box are both WFCO and I suspect that that is what the dealer asked to be replaced. I have a call in to check. thank You for your information it was very helpful. I will post later with the final results. Tom
Just wanted you to be aware that the item that was getting replaced was the BCC (Battery Control Center) not the converter (and in most cases just a chip). Not saying the converter did not go bad, just trying to further explain the info the rep gave you.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You are out of warranty, I would install the progressive direct replacement for the WFCO. Being that you boondock you can use the wizard. That will force your 4 stage charger into 14.6 volts, less time charging. It will bring your battery up to 90% then drop to 13.6 to 100%. WFCO systems do not have that option and will not go into float at 13.2 for 48 hrs reading no parasites or it will not drop to float at all. Progressive will read the parasites and stay in float. I'll attach a link, get rid of the WFCO it only ruining your batteries. The cost difference is like $30.00 bucks.
Power max also has a "boondocking" special converter.
Best converter has them.
I'd recommend that to progressive dynamics especially if you boondock alot.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Powerma...rs-_c_154.html

Turbs
Old 10-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #16

BClemens Thanks to you I now know where to look. The BBC installed in my MH is a precision and not the Wurth. So I am OK there. I plan to switch out the WFCO converter for the Progressive Dynamics as recommended by gljurczyk. My goal is to get depleted batteries up to service levels before they die. Thanks again to everyone for the help

Tags
converter, battery