Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
Have Camera will Travel

Batteries, DC to DC, Inverter

Not a lot of room on the Ford Chassis for adding batteries but was able to have a bracket built that sits in front of the Step/battery box and lay two more Li batteries on their sides.
With that I added a DC to DC converter on the back of a mounting board and the inverter on the front of the board that sit in the panel behind and beside the passenger seat. There was enough room to cut out some of the floor behind the panel. There was a gap already there and other owners this may be something you want to look at filling with some foam to stop drafts.
Anyways the DC to DC inverter takes a lot of wiring as you can see but tried to make it as tidy as I could but certainly with some more planning it could have been better. I will leave the top of the panel off for now to get an idea of how much heat the DC to DC generates and if need be add some vent holes in the top panel.
The shorter lithium batteries gives you some room in the existing battery box to install a battery monitor shunt and a 150 amp fuse for the inverter. I will eventually run a 120V lead back to either the fuse panel or even just put an inverter fed 120 V plug in the back.
Now that the wiring is all in I'll have a cover made for the two underneath batteries.
While I was under the bus I bent back up a gas line that was hanging down in front of the tires and also strap up some wiring that had dropped down on the house inlet side.
I wanted to add that in case anyone travels on gravel roads or even runs over debris on the highway that could cause damage.
Please no hate on the white electricians tape. It was all I had left.
The last picture of the inverter should be shown as vertical and both the inverter and DC to DC are mounted onto 3/16 aluminum straps and the straps are screwed to the board at 5 points to distribute the load.
Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0023.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	261260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0025.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	261261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	261262  
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Wow! That is a lot of work. I am guessing that the DC to DC is for charging your Li batts.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:45 PM   #3
Have Camera will Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Wow! That is a lot of work. I am guessing that the DC to DC is for charging your Li batts.
Yes, The DC to DC was by far the biggest headache to install. Pos/neg in and Pos/neg out with #2 wire for the positive feed and #8 for the negative. The recommend that you run a dedicated positive to the unit also from the engine battery.
2000 W inverter.
Old 08-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #4

Check the manual for the inverter mounting position. Vertical is not allowed per the manual due to cooling fan issues. I doubt it really matters in reality but it may impact warranty if you do happen to have a failure.

When I was installing my 3000W inverter charger, I asked them about mounting on it's side so the fan shafts are still horizontal and they still said no, so it's just CYA for them.

I have my DC-DC mounted vertically like you. Don't forget to set the dip switches not just for battery type, but for charging voltage. I forgot the voltage and was not using the max for my batteries. I noticed a slight improvement in charging time once I up'd that.

Renogy bits: 3000W Inverter/Charger, 400Ah LiFePo4, 40A DC-to-DC
Rich Solar bits: 400W of panels, 40A MPPT
Misc bits: LevelMatePro+, SolidRemote based wireless controlled LED storage lighting
jbflag21ds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #5
Have Camera will Travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbflag21ds View Post
Check the manual for the inverter mounting position. Vertical is not allowed per the manual due to cooling fan issues. I doubt it really matters in reality but it may impact warranty if you do happen to have a failure.

When I was installing my 3000W inverter charger, I asked them about mounting on it's side so the fan shafts are still horizontal and they still said no, so it's just CYA for them.

I have my DC-DC mounted vertically like you. Don't forget to set the dip switches not just for battery type, but for charging voltage. I forgot the voltage and was not using the max for my batteries. I noticed a slight improvement in charging time once I up'd that.
Thanks, I really don't have any other options to mount the inverter so I'll have to see how it turns out. I did check the dip switches settings to the manual.
Thanks for the input.
2000 W inverter.

Tags
batteries, inverter