Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #1

battery does not charge whilee ont the road

I have 2014 3170DS and the battery does not charge while on the road.
I just drove 1100 mies in two days and the battery is very low.

any help will be appreciated
njjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

Does your unit have a voltmeter? If it does when you are running the engine does the voltmeter read above 13 volts?

Do your batteries charge when you are plugged into shore power? If so do they hold their charge?

If they are lead acid batteries have you checked the fluid levels?

If your voltmeter shows a charge of 13+ volts when you are plugged in and when you are running the engine it is probably the batteries. If not it could be many things (probably the charge controller).

If your batteries become discharged passed 50% too many times they stop holding their full charge and discharge quite quickly.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Unplug the trailer and check to see if you have 12+ volts with a meter between the top lug ground (under the tab) and the very bottom one which should be 12v positive. In you don't have at least 12v or higher, you are missing a fuse in the tv fuse block.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:53 AM   #4

3170 is a Motor Home, not a trailer.

NJJACK: Are you speaking of the "House Batteries" and not the "Chassis Battery"?

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:42 PM   #5

If you have the WURTH BCC (the black unit normally by the entrance door), there was a recall of them. I had one in my 2014 SS and it was changed out under warranty/recall with a different/better one. Could just be a fuse blown or some other minor issue if it did work at one time. I don't think mine ever worked from the beginning.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #6

There is a thread in the Forester subforum about the Battery Isolation Manager that might be applicable.

If I have low batteries, and start driving, I may or may not get them charged. If the BIM detects the house batteries are at least 12.6V, it will not charge them.

Well, if you charge batteries for even a few minutes, they will hold a false high reading for a while. So if you start out, then stop soon for gas, when you start up again the BIM will think the batteries are full. And on and on it goes throughout the day.

In my case I have solar panels. They also fool the BIM into thinking the batteries are charged. Even on a cloudy day.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

Check the fuse in the WURTH. Black panel in the step well. I had the same problem, New fuse and has been good since.
2014 3010DS
Old 11-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #8

Not knowing what kind of truck you have, the Owner's Manual for my 2013 Silverado 3500HD, clearly stated that I need to take it to a dealer who could make the necessary connection in the fuze box to insure 12v current through the seven pin trailer hitch wiring
Old 11-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #9

There are other tests you could do that might point to the problem area before you tackle a circuit problem. Assuming you haven't changed out your batteries since the coach was new, your batteries are at least 2 years old, and probably closer to 3 years old, and that's probably close to the life cycle of the OEM batteries.

I would first ensure that the water level was up on all the cells. Then, I would get a hydrometer and check the specific gravity of the solution in each cell. If you have a volt meter, you could check to see if you have a "dead" cell. Any one of these could cause the problem you are having. Finally, you could have an auto parts store run a "stress" test on your batteries to see if they hold up.

If your batteries check out good, then I would start checking out the electrical system as other posters have recommended.
WayneLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #10

I have a '14 and the Battery's are junk
I got $100 rebate and put two Interstates in the coach and life is good again
My advice is don't over think this if you too have the junk batteries from the factory

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 09:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Not knowing what kind of truck you have, the Owner's Manual for my 2013 Silverado 3500HD, clearly stated that I need to take it to a dealer who could make the necessary connection in the fuze box to insure 12v current through the seven pin trailer hitch wiring
Motor Home !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:33 AM   #12

Our 2012 3170 came from the factory not charging the house battery when driving. I called Forest River and was told that a fuse might be missing in the fuse panel by the coach door. He identified the location of the fuse and, in fact, it was missing. I added the missing fuse and all was well. I am not at the motorhome now, but I recall it to be a blue fuse. I will be there later today and will look and report if I can identify it. But in any event I suggest you check the fuses in that panel.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:54 PM   #13

I have a 2014 3170 and replaced the OEM batteries this past spring. Wanting the most and after a lot of research, I went with group 31 AGM and due to price, got 2 from Sams. I did upgrade my 12volt converter. Been well pleased thus far
These will fit but will not be able to use the tie down strap. The are the same height and width but are a little longer. Used split pool noodles to secure them. No issues. Hope this helps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1480305038.681251.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	125838

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:59 PM   #14

Bud, let us know the location and number of the fuse. This is good info to have. Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forum
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery