Old 05-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #1

Battery Recommendations?

The batteries on my 2014 Sunseeker are just about shot and I'm looking for recommendations for replacements. We don't boondock and generally just go to horse shows with the SS where we will plug in to a 30amp pedestal (or a 50amp one with adaptor). Consequently, I am not looking for solar or the latest ones for super power or anything. Just your basic 12V deep cycle replacement batteries. When not in use, I keep the SS in an enclosed Pole Barn where I have a 30 amp/120V pedestal installed that I can plug into.

BTW, are these group 65 batteries?

Thanks in advance.

Newly Retired!!!!
Atlanta Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Panther View Post
The batteries on my 2014 Sunseeker are just about shot and I'm looking for recommendations for replacements. We don't boondock and generally just go to horse shows with the SS where we will plug in to a 30amp pedestal (or a 50amp one with adaptor). Consequently, I am not looking for solar or the latest ones for super power or anything. Just your basic 12V deep cycle replacement batteries. When not in use, I keep the SS in an enclosed Pole Barn where I have a 30 amp/120V pedestal installed that I can plug into.

BTW, are these group 65 batteries?

Thanks in advance.
You can use any RV Marine battery. It doesn't matter since you are plugged in all the time.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #3

Group 65 is the chassis battery. Most house in SS are group 27.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #4

I think that a battery group number refers to battery size and post configuration (and probably other things). You could get the RV/Marine batteries that fit and I would shop at a national chain for warranty purposes.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Group 65 is the chassis battery. Most house in SS are group 27.

Can also use an Interstate Group 29 and any Group 31. These hold more power than the group 27.

OP May not boondock but the larger batteries can come in handy on a cold evening if stopping overnight without hookups.

Smaller batteries may "Last" but chances are they're discharging more than the 50% depth of discharge limit for max battery life. A larger battery won't cost much more but will last a lot longer under normal circumstances.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:59 PM   #6

Duracell group 31 from Sams is a good choice and price. Mine are still doing well after 3 years and we have the same style as you. I did change my WIFCO charger for a Progressive. I fell the Progressive does a better job at keeping the batteries in good condition.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 PM   #7

Walked thru Costco today.

They have the Interstate gc2 6 volt batteries in stock.

$93 each. The two sixes have a lot of output.

If they fit. Got to measure.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Duracell group 31 from Sams is a good choice and price. Mine are still doing well after 3 years and we have the same style as you. I did change my WIFCO charger for a Progressive. I fell the Progressive does a better job at keeping the batteries in good condition.
I just upgraded to the Duracell AGM group 31s from Sams this weekend. They fit in my 2016 Forester perfectly. My rig came with a 60 amp progressive converter.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Can also use an Interstate Group 29 and any Group 31. These hold more power than the group 27.

OP May not boondock but the larger batteries can come in handy on a cold evening if stopping overnight without hookups.

Smaller batteries may "Last" but chances are they're discharging more than the 50% depth of discharge limit for max battery life. A larger battery won't cost much more but will last a lot longer under normal circumstances.
I have 2 group 31 bats AGM in my step with a 4 stage converter. I figured I would just tell him what came in it new.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #10

Final Question

So based on what I am reading from y'all, the Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 from Sam's for $179.74 seem like the way to go as they are the largest batteries I can easily fit in the compartment and are maintenance free. Even though these are the cheapest AGM batteries I have found in the group 31 size, they are still almost double the price of the regular wet cell batteries. Having said that, it is a PITA to constantly be checking battery water levels, etc, in the wet cell type batteries so I am probably going to buy the AGMs. However, I just wanted to double check and make sure that there is no maintenance at all with these...I just take out the old house batteries, put these in the battery compartment and hook them up and nothing else needs to be done...the 3010DS's charger will keep these batteries' charge where it needs to be. Like I said in my OP, we don't really boondock, just hook up to 30 or 50 amp shore power at the horse shows and then plug in to my 30amp RV hookup at home.

Am I understanding this correctly? Does that sound like the way to go?

Thanks gang, for your help in this and other posts!

Newly Retired!!!!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #11

First congrats on retirement. Im still 9 month out. Still running the wfco, if so this is a good time to upgrade for your new batts.
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:59 PM   #12

Thanks, Hoglou...you've helped me out before. By "Upgrade" I assume you mean change out the WFCO9855 convertor to a Progressive which seems to be recommended on some of the postings. Couple of dumb questions:

Are you just suggesting I replace the "silver box on the floor" or do I also need to replace the Power Center as well which is obviously also a WFCO?

Will a different manufacturer of the "silver box on the floor" match up with the WFCO Power Center?

The WFCO9855 is a 55 amp convertor and the 3010DS is only for 30amp. Should I stick with the 55amp or go to a 65amp or higher? Do you have a recommendation?

Does the Convertor and the Power Center have to be the same amp rating?

Do these convertors automatically know to charge the house batteries and "top them off" without overcharging them or do I need something else?

I guess I need a 101 on this stuff.

Thanks so much...very much appreciated!

Newly Retired!!!!
Old 07-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #13

Battery Recommendations?

Hoglou and I are on the same page.
Oct 2015 I replaced my WIFCO with a Progressive charger 9160. My charger is a stand-a-lone unit. Different coach.
Feb 2016 Purchased house batteries from Sams. Duracell Group 31.
I have had no issues. When home, I leave it plugged into shore power and we very rarely boondock. However, on our current trip, we Cracker barreled one night and Walmart one time. Batteries held up just fine. Kept everything running. Fridge, a little TV, vent fans.
Inclosed is a picture of my current batteries. You asked about maintenance, oh, about every 6 months , I dust them and check for bugs and such and check terminal tightness, if I remember.
Oh, the blue things are split pool noodles. I lay 2 split pool noodles on top as I could not get the hold down strap connected.
Hey, Hog, what are you doing for hold downs?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2238.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	209473  
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Panther View Post
So based on what I am reading from y'all, the Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 from Sam's for $179.74 seem like the way to go as they are the largest batteries I can easily fit in the compartment and are maintenance free. Even though these are the cheapest AGM batteries I have found in the group 31 size, they are still almost double the price of the regular wet cell batteries. Having said that, it is a PITA to constantly be checking battery water levels, etc, in the wet cell type batteries so I am probably going to buy the AGMs. However, I just wanted to double check and make sure that there is no maintenance at all with these...I just take out the old house batteries, put these in the battery compartment and hook them up and nothing else needs to be done...the 3010DS's charger will keep these batteries' charge where it needs to be. Like I said in my OP, we don't really boondock, just hook up to 30 or 50 amp shore power at the horse shows and then plug in to my 30amp RV hookup at home.

Am I understanding this correctly? Does that sound like the way to go?

Thanks gang, for your help in this and other posts!

If you want total SIMPLE, not having to do much more than check the connections to the batteries once a year, and don't Boondock, go the AGM battery route. No water to tend to and a pair of them would be more than adequately maintained by the existing converter/charger.

Sounds like you will either be plugged in at an RV Park or driving most of the time and if just spending a night alongside the road (Rest Area, Parking Lot, etc) those batteries should keep you in light and warmth just fine.

Battery types and the number of batteries become more of an issue when you Boondock and you may not be hooked to grid power for a month or more while traveling.

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:44 PM   #15

change is good...

AP... I swapped out the wfco 55 with a PD9260C PD 9260C 60 Amp RV Converter/Charger for $177.00. I have COSTCO rv/marine batts and they now stay in the 13.15 to 13.50! range. I can tell you exactly how the batts are a doing cause I also put in a handy dandy victron monitor with the bluetooth that I can read from the "bark-o-lounge" in the den.

I was having batt problems where the satt dish would drain off the batts and not lift the jacks after being on shore power all week at a campgroung. PD resolved my issues and I still am using those same batts.

The old wfco is on the left with the PG to the right. It is just a three wire swap (+,-, grn) out. The PG is a little larger (note the big heat sink on top), but no additional mods required except mounting it where you want it. The victron install takes a little longer, this may require a second day utilizing the pellet grill for a pork shoulder and adult hydration supplied by the host.

Buy your toys and come over to the house (have 30/50 in the driveway) and we can put it together, just cost ya a ribeye steak at longhorn (only steak house in town where there are more cows them people, can you believe that).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_081014.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	209534   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190328_151105.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	209535  
L'IL Foot" 2014 Sunseeker 2300
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 PM   #16

Hoglou, TitanMike and Garrette...thanks for the info! Just ordered the PD9260C with the remote pendant...probably same place as Hoglou...$177 plus $11.50 shipping. Looks like a straightforward installation. Going to pair it with two new Duracell AGM Deep Cycle Marine and RV Battery - Group Size 31 from Sam's for $179.74 each. Going to hold off on the Victron for now due to skinny wallet, although it sounds like a nice option to have.

Just got to the Callaway Gardens RV Park with the adult kids and grandkids. About to uncork a cool one. Hope ya'll are enjoying one as you read this!

8>)

Newly Retired!!!!
Old 07-11-2019, 03:53 PM   #17

If you don't "boondock" then ANY battery is fine as all it will be expected to do is power the trailer brakes in the event of a break-away from the tow vehicle and powering a ceiling light or two if you enter the dark trailer when not hooked to the truck or shorepower.

-- Chuck
Old 07-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
If you don't "boondock" then ANY battery is fine as all it will be expected to do is power the trailer brakes in the event of a break-away from the tow vehicle and powering a ceiling light or two if you enter the dark trailer when not hooked to the truck or shorepower.

-- Chuck
Chuck, the OP has a Motorhome.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Chuck, the OP has a Motorhome.
You mean that is why this thread is in the motorhome section?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #20

If you use tapatalk and don't go to the very first post, then it just looks like a general post!
Mine says battery at the top.

Tags
battery, converter, sunseeker