Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2021, 09:20 PM   #1

Bedroom reading lights

Hi. My wife and I are spending our first night in our new-to-us 2021 Sunseeker 2440DS and we feel like idiots because we can't figure out how to turn on the reading lights above the bed. We've pushed, pulled, tapped, and looked all over for a switch, but no joy. Can somebody enlighten us, please?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210925_201218.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	263438  
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
Camping the Natural State

Is that a reading light or accent/mood lighting ? I ask because my camper has those over the bed and over the recliners but they aren't reading lights. They are just blue mood lighting. Mine have a little silver button to push and turn on/off.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Is that a reading light or accent/mood lighting ? I ask because my camper has those over the bed and over the recliners but they aren't reading lights. They are just blue mood lighting. Mine have a little silver button to push and turn on/off.
I don't really know because we can't turn them on, lol. There's a thing in the middle that looks like a button, but it doesn't push. I think it just holds the moon-shaped plastic piece that covers the mounting screws.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:38 PM   #4

Push in on the lens itself ? Twist it ?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:39 PM   #5

What is the little square hole in the round base ?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #6

Tried all that. It's a USB charger, and I just noticed that it doesn't work. I'm starting to think they are supposed to come on with the bedroom light but there's a blown fuse or something. I'll look at that tomorrow. Thanks for trying!
Old 09-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #7

Bedroom reading lights

We have similar if not identical lights over the bed in our 2020 3011 DS. Unless the design has changed… it is a three way capacitive touch switch (it doesn’t ‘click’).

Assuming it has power… Tap the small silver circle that faces downward with your fingertip. Yes, the small metal circle surrounded by a crescent of white plastic next to the “base” of the adjustable lighting arm.

Tap that button once to illuminate the bright lamp at the end of the articulating arm. Tap the same button a second time to turn off that bright light and at the same time activate a much dimmer separate lamp. Tap it a third time to turn off both of the aforementioned lamps.

I hope I explain that well. Best wishes to you, please let us know how it goes. If I can find a video online I’ll try to post a link.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #8

That makes perfect sense, thank you. I don't think they have any power, so further investigation is in order.

I appreciate everybody's help.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #9

We have the same lights in our 2020 2440DS. As already described, the lights are operated via touch pad on the light’s base. The USB port should be active all the time. There is no other switch involved. If not working, the lights apparently have no power, probably because the factory screwed up.

I would remove the lights and check for power on the wiring. Also, these lights are the only powered devices on the bedroom slideout, and there is a 12 volt wire pair feeding them from the bed base. You might look under the mattress while the slide is out and look for the power feed wiring to the lights. Possibly the wire got snagged or caught and is damaged or disconnected.

See photo attached of the 12 volt wiring running under our bed feeding the reading lights. The wire runs under the bed from the power source in the base, to the front outer corner of the slide. This wire will be connected to 12 volt power in the bed base, which I can access by removing the two drawers on the bed base.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	517571AF-0657-4BB5-859C-5633B3902819.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	263441  
Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #10

I will do that. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:40 AM   #11
Commercial Member

can you take the light down and see if its wired correctly. it sounds like we might have messed something up. Sorry for the inconvenience.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 08:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
can you take the light down and see if its wired correctly. it sounds like we might have messed something up. Sorry for the inconvenience.
I appreciate it. That's what I'll probably do, but I just haven't had a chance to mess with it. It's inlay a very minor inconvenience, and we absolutely LOVE this motorhome so far.
Old 09-30-2021, 08:59 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Thanks you Rocklobster. if that doesn't fix the issue let me know and I will get you with someone from our technical team to see if we can help. I truly feel like there is a just loose wire.
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #14

Will do. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2021, 11:13 PM   #15

I have the same Sunseeker 2440DS (2021 model) .
The bedroom lights were initially working. However after several trips the lights stopped working. Turned out to be a lose wire in the slide out
Got fixed under warranty

Good luck with your fix
Taj-on-wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 11:35 AM   #16

Well, I finally got around to checking this out, and I found that the wire that powers the lights (under the bed) had pulled out of the crimp connector. Simple repair, and now the lights work like they're supposed to.

Thank you, everybody, for the help.
Old 10-24-2021, 12:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Well, I finally got around to checking this out, and I found that the wire that powers the lights (under the bed) had pulled out of the crimp connector. Simple repair, and now the lights work like they're supposed to.

Thank you, everybody, for the help.
Great! Thanks for posting a follow up. I’m glad it was a simple fix. It’s so sad that the factory can’t make a proper wire crimp on a new motorhome.

Tags
bed, bedroom, light, roo