Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Best tires

I need my second set of tires on my 2014 3010DS. I have Michelin’s on now and there not holding up well at 28,000 miles.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bednarski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 PM   #2

I would go with Goodyear tires. If you do not get better service from Goodyear tires, there isn’t likely a better tire made than Michelin or Goodyear. General brand tires will usually save money when purchased and provide decent mileage for their cost. I don’t vacation 8,000 miles per year in my motor home, I’ll likely need to replace my General brand tires due to age before tread wear.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #3

I’ve had two bad blowouts with these Michelin’s. Both on the rear. I keep the required amount of air them which is 80psi.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #4

Two things are likely responsible for the two blowouts (separations). One is age of the tires. All tires are date coded. If the tires that failed were 6-years or older, that alone can be the cause of them separating or blowing out. The other thing is the weight the tires are carrying. The tires are likely carrying near their maximum rated capacity when the coach is fully loaded. There is nothing wrong with that, except when a tire reaches the six-year mark. I suspect it was both weight and age that caused the tire separations. Our motor home is a 2018 model on a 2017 MY chassis. While I have not checked the date code on our new motor home tires, the tires may already be close to three-years old. Meaning we may have to replace them in the next four years.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:24 PM   #5

I don’t think I’m carrying too much weight but my rig is a 2014 so guess the five year mark is pretty close. I’m on the road so will just buy all four for the rear.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Team

If I didn't buy Michelin I'd buy Continental. If you are a FMCA member they have a good discount program for both brands. See Here. Their tire program is more helpful in smaller markets than in bigger cities with a lot of competition.

Your rig may be a 2014 but those tires may well be a bit older. The only way to know for sure is to check the tire date code. See Here.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
If I didn't buy Michelin I'd buy Continental. If you are a FMCA member they have a good discount program for both brands. See Here. Their tire program is more helpful in smaller markets than in bigger cities with a lot of competition.

Your rig may be a 2014 but those tires may well be a bit older. The only way to know for sure is to check the tire date code. See Here.
I noticed you mentioned Continental tires in your post, I don't know if you're aware of it or not. But Continental is having a bunch of tires recalled because of sidewall separation. The NHTSA has been recalling a LOT of them in all sizes & designs over the last year or 2. I was looking at putting load E Continental tires on my Silverado & was talked out of it by my tire dealership because of the problems they are having. I signed up for the NHTSA website for recalls on my truck & tires & just about every month I've been getting Continental tire recall emails for a while now. Just thought I'd pass that along in case you haven't heard.
zippersbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:01 PM   #8

Check out General Grabbers. They have ability to carry 90 psi and a higher load rating. I'm going to buy those on my changeout next year.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #9

Grabber HD | General Tire

2nd from bottom of the tire specs. 225/75/r16C 3085 lb @90 psi.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 PM   #10

had Michelins recalled on me before, then used Mastercrafts due to lack of Michelins due to the recall, had a blowout after 4 years and maybe 14.000 miles, don't recommend them. Just had Bridgestone's Duravis R225 R16 installed, local tire supplier said they equip all local FedEx trucks with them. I was surprised at the smooth ride compared to the Mastercrafts. Remember, these larger Class Cs are taxing these tires close to their maximum weight limits... I have a 2860 DS.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #11

After my blowout I found a tire shop and just put four new ones on. I will be smarter next time and at four years will just replace them all. Thanks for all the feedback from this great forum.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #12

I had a blowout on the rear inside tire this spring. They were just under 5 years old. The sidewalls had small cracks on them - I guess from dry rot. I really think RV tires just sitting for long stretches of time get hard. I went with firestone transforce.
johnlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #13

YeAh has me worried mine are just under 5 Years but it is stored inside from the elements and I store at 80 psi.

So tell me who changed the tire for you. Were you on the freeway when it blew? Were you using tpms?
Old 07-23-2018, 07:57 AM   #14

Best tires

I have gieco roadside assistance. It took 3+ hours for them to finally find a person who could change the tire. I guess all things considered it could have been worse.

No I do not have a TPMS. I bought a set a few years ago but could never get the signals to work. The front tires were the only signals being received. I even bought the signal booster the company recommended but it still didn’t work. I do wish I had a TPMS but don’t want to buy something again that doesn’t work
johnlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #15

Well I have used two systems. I like the new one better (Eez tire. But it doesn’t work well on the plastic valve stems I have on the inside rear duels.

So I’m going to take and have steel ones put on. It worked but just came loose and started leaking air slowly. Really pissed me off cause I was bragging to my brother about them and he was telling me just another pint of failure, and walla it was!

Also my brother is a big time heavy equipment Manager,, and he directs a major operation. He did a study a while back on the effect of differences in tire pressure. End result was, that I was putting too much emphasis on having all the tires at the exact same pressure. If you are within 2-3 psi, his study showed not to worry about the difference. It doesn’t affect tire performance. He also recommend in hot weather I run the duels at a reduced cold pressure.

So I’m running 76 psi cold and on the highway they are warming up to around 93-94 psi on a hot day. Maybe even more as I wasn’t out on the hottest day.

Also I had 3 tires at 76 and one at 78 psi, made me nervous, and they all ended up on the road within 1 psi of each other.

Interesting. The new eez tire seems to be much more accurate than my old TPms system.

Tags
tire, tires