Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #1
RV Wannabe

Bigfoot levelers - how low do the feet hang

Debating ordering the levelers on a 2300 Sunseeker on 4500 Chevy chassis. How much cargo carrying capacity will I lose do to the weight of the system?
Thanks
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
RV Wannabe

Bigfoot levelers - how low do the feet hang

Debating ordering the levelers on a Sunseeker 2300 on a Chevy 4500 chassis. In the stowed, up position, how far above the ground are the feet?
I have measured the lowest point of the chassis at about 6.5". It is the bottom of the axle "pig."

Thanks

EDIT by site team: merged two similar threads into one
Old 02-09-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Height is fine to worry about...carrying capacity? No way. We normally put the 2300 on an E350 (only rated at 12,500lbs). BUT we only buy one Chevy...the 4500 which is rated at 14,200 lbs. You'll have about 4,000lbs of carrying capacity on that unit. That's as much as some diesel pushers.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
RV Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Height is fine to worry about...carrying capacity? No way. We normally put the 2300 on an E350 (only rated at 12,500lbs). BUT we only buy one Chevy...the 4500 which is rated at 14,200 lbs. You'll have about 4,000lbs of carrying capacity on that unit. That's as much as some diesel pushers.
I'm with you there Brian. I love, love the OCCC of the 2300 on a Chevy 4500 Chassis.

I am always amazed checking class A's out at the RV show and looking at the yellow sticker to find ridiculously low cargo carrying capacity. Like, as soon as 2 people and a dog are on board, you are overweight.

So, sounds like Bigfoot weighs ~ 200 #.

What is the ground clearance of the feet when stowed?

Thanks
Old 02-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #5

How high..

If you don't have an answer by the time I get off work at 5 est I will measure the 2300 chevy 4500 big foot(s). They are low(er) compared to the rest of the coach but after two years I will say that I would really miss them if they were not there. That and things like the fiberglass roof, ducted heat pump, and the two way hot water were the reasons I keep coming back to Sunseeker during the shopping phase. I will also measure the rear axle pumpkin.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
RV Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
If you don't have an answer by the time I get off work at 5 est I will measure the 2300 chevy 4500 big foot(s). They are low(er) compared to the rest of the coach but after two years I will say that I would really miss them if they were not there. That and things like the fiberglass roof, ducted heat pump, and the two way hot water were the reasons I keep coming back to Sunseeker during the shopping phase. I will also measure the rear axle pumpkin.
That would be great, thank you so much.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #7

Tale of the tape

To put into context the bottom of the coach side door to the ground is 10".

The bottom of the front bigfoot to the ground is 6.5".
The oil pan is about 8" from the ground.
The bottom of the rear bigfoot to the ground is 8.25".
The bottom of the pumpkin (rear axle) to the ground is 6.75".
The rear bigfoot is 5' behind the pumpkin.

So the summation is that dragging the rear bigfoot is not a big concern as you have an inset of 1.5". But I do still cross driveways at an angle with this.

I would love to hear from anyone who has dragged, and if they did I would bet it was a lot longer than the 2300 (further beyond the 5').
I am more concerned about the clearance of the DW's Avalon.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #8
RV Wannabe

Hoglou,
great information, thank you so much!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:02 PM   #9

My 3050 scraped the top of my lawn the first 2 times I drove off the grass onto the road I had 55psi in the airbags I inflated to 75psi and it has not happened again but I wouldn't be surprised if I did have it to happen in another situation I do try to hit slopes very slow and at a angle my rv is about 32'
Old 02-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #10

I have a 2860ds and had the Bigfoot levelers added after my purchase and was also worried about clearance but after 12000 miles the only thing that ever drags is the rear hitch. Going up or down small inclines causes this but the hitch has 2 pieces that extend down that look like that is what they are for is to protect the underside. Just go slow and know it is ok. Bigfoot is the best never had to do anything but push 1 button and level
Pacostaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #11

Bigfoot

We have a 2012 Sunseeker 29' long. We store it on a concrete pad and the actual measurement is slightly less than 6" in the stored position for the Bigfoot levelers.

Diana
neikolaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:29 PM   #12

I have the 33 foot forester with levelers. Both the low point on the back of the hitch and the levelers have dragged. Once the hitch dragged on a very steep incline coming out of a gas station and the levelers dragged when i was driving on a semi steep incline on a dirt road. I still would never get another RV without levelers though. No damage was done.
motodude79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:44 PM   #13

Six items

Six points:

- I did not check the bag pressure, but at most it has 85 (my setting, last checked before xmas). This would cause a difference in the pumpkin and the jack.

- The post above with less than 6", was that front or rear? Possibly a ford/chevy variance. We are also on a pad (that is possibly too flat slow rain run off).

- I would love to know the distance between the pumpkin and rear jacks for the various units (the other variable of wheel base is posted).

- We need some other 2300 units with bigfoot to validate the consisitency of my measurements.

- This is an academic exercise as those with jacks (for the most part) wouldn't part with them..

- Lastly, you do need to make a small thin wood platform for the hula girl to properly ride on the dash...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	69559