Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2021, 05:57 PM   #1

Black & Gray tanks

Ok let me have it, I have been under my 3011DS and I can not find or see where the tanks are, the 55gl gas tank is right behind the rear wheels and I know the black tank has to be right under the toilet but I can’t see it anywhere. Where the hell is it ?
Laissez les bon temps rouler
cmnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Many motorhomes/motor driven units do not have the tanks mounted in the under frame area as there simply isn't room with suspension components, driveshafts and such.

Tanks are often located under/behind floor cabinets or storage compartments.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

How could it be located behind a cabinet when it goes straight down ? And it not in a storage compartment
Old 12-03-2021, 07:03 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

There

The beauty of engineering.
Yes, your black tank is directly under the throne. Photo 1 is the flange that goes into the seal.

In the 2nd photo, the FW tank is on the right but you can only see the deep portion that is in the compartment. It goes over the frame and under the floor. There is a belly pan under it.

Just to the left of the FW tank you can see the black tank rear section and the two mounting brackets at the top The deep end of that tank is on the other (drivers) side where your waste valve manifold is and above your dump termination fitting.

The gray tank is aft of the black tank and sits in the same position. Your riderite inflation valve is in that same compartment. The tanks are only accessible in the outside compartments.

There are some exception to the above based on model. i.e. you might find the FW tank under the bed for example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E677C6C-6A3C-473A-AA06-FEC3A4CEDA3F.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	266379   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7D49F1C-2D66-4515-9D68-7C1598853A7C.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	266380  
Old 12-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #5

That you have difficulty finding the black and grey tanks is a tribute to one of the better engineering feats of the later Sunseeker/Forester line. The two tanks are not very tall or wide, but their length runs nearly the width of the motorhome. This allows the tanks to be under the motorhome floor, but not consume much of the space in the basement storage bins.

The easiest way to locate your waste tanks is to go to your dump compartment and follow the two drain pipes from the dump gates up to the tanks just above them. You’ll see they look like the passenger side photo in Duckogram’s post, dark grey plastic tanks with metal clamps holding up their ends. Whether the black or the grey is fore or aft might depend on the floor plan of the unit, in particular the location of the toilet, which is positioned over the black tank. Depending on model, a cover in the basement bin may need to removed to access the waste tank(s).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7810BF2-F231-4168-BA02-96B274BA5E59.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	266381  
Old 12-03-2021, 08:45 PM   #6

The waste tanks will run side to side for the most part the width of the coach. They will located above the frame rails under the raised section of the floor in the rear of the coach. At least when I had my 3051 thats where they were, most likely very similar on the 3011 floorplan.

2021 Newmar Baystar 3401
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk toad
2017.5 Forester 3051S Traded 7/2020
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
The beauty of engineering.

Yes, your black tank is directly under the throne. Photo 1 is the flange that goes into the seal.

In the 2nd photo, the FW tank is on the right but you can only see the deep portion that is in the compartment. It goes over the frame and under the floor. There is a belly pan under it.

Just to the left of the FW tank you can see the black tank rear section and the two mounting brackets at the top The deep end of that tank is on the other (drivers) side where your waste valve manifold is and above your dump termination fitting.

The gray tank is aft of the black tank and sits in the same position. Your riderite inflation valve is in that same compartment. The tanks are only accessible in the outside compartments.

There are some exception to the above based on model. i.e. you might find the FW tank under the bed for example.

Yes my fresh water tank is under bed

Tags
black, tank