Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2400MBW

Black tank valve leaking

After our last 2 drives we hook up the sewer hose as usual EXCEPT, lots of black water rushes out when the sewer cap is removed from the MH.
Is it unusual for this valve to leak? It doesn’t leak between empties when stationary. We check it before we pull the valve.
Has anyone experienced this? And fixed it?
Thank you for any help.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:11 AM   #2

Could something be bumping the valve open or does it move easy enough for it to vibrate open a little? Mine is still tight for the past 7 years. Tight enough, I had to replace the handle cause I stripped the threads in the handle.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #3

Quick fix

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...gateway&sr=8-5

Permanent fix

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=valterra+...nb_sb_ss_i_2_6
Old 04-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #4

I have no cable operated valves, but I have read where it isn't uncommon for "stuff" to get caught in the valve. I have heard of wood chips, plastic from tank cut out, and even stuff that got flushed. I have dropped stuff in the commode that I had to retrieve... maybe someone dropped an item and didn't know or report the loss. Ink pens, bobby pins/hair clips, etc...

I got an inspection camera for my cell phone/tablet for like $20 on Amazon that would do a great inspection job. It is like 17' long and pretty COOL. I am now authorized to perform laparoscopic surgery.

If you do this... Empty tanks, flush pretty good and drain well before using your scope.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How much comes out?

I had two SOBs (some other brand) that would hold a quart or so in the black pipe between the valve (mounted near the tank) and the dump port. (near the side of the R/V)

You could let the tank port open for an hour after dumping and nothing more would run out. Close the valve, cap the port, move the R/V and then remove the cap again and about a quart would come out. I wound up using a dump port mounted valve as referenced in a prior post on those two units.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #6

Replacing the valves is easy if they're exposed, once the tank is empty and clean.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
Sunseeker 2400MBW

[QUOTE=emm-dee;2080377]Quick fix

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...gateway&sr=8-5

We went to an RV store and bought this exact thing. They told us the seals could wear out or a piece of crud could be caught.
They also recommended a tank treatment which I never use, I do the Geo Method. They said the tank treatment helps the seals.
Thanks for everyone’s input. This forum is lifesaver.
I REALLY want a scope!
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 PM   #8

Also colonoscopies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 01:37 PM   #9

We've had a twist on valve on our last 2 trailers and will always have one on.

It seems like there is a little stuff that over time migrates to the end of the pipe and when you open it it does as it's supposed to, pour out.

With the twist on you can plug everything in and then open the valve. Big thumbs up!
Old 04-25-2019, 01:52 PM   #10

Well, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
How much comes out?

I had two SOBs (some other brand) that would hold a quart or so in the black pipe between the valve (mounted near the tank) and the dump port. (near the side of the R/V)

You could let the tank port open for an hour after dumping and nothing more would run out. Close the valve, cap the port, move the R/V and then remove the cap again and about a quart would come out. I wound up using a dump port mounted valve as referenced in a prior post on those two units.
Well, of course! The outlet of the tank isn't on the bottom--there isn't enough ground clearance for that. It's on the side of the tank, maybe an inch up from the bottom. When you are level and drain the tank, that quart is still there on the bottom. Go around a few turns and it splashes up into the drain plumbing and runs downhill to the valve. You can't always find un-level ground at a dump station, in order to park with the valve-side low, although one of the dump sites at our regular campground is sloped this way.

I have the habit of connecting my drain hose at the far end first, then holding the near end under the outlet as I take off the cap which mitigates the problem without extra equipment.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Well, of course! The outlet of the tank isn't on the bottom--there isn't enough ground clearance for that. It's on the side of the tank, maybe an inch up from the bottom. When you are level and drain the tank, that quart is still there on the bottom. Go around a few turns and it splashes up into the drain plumbing and runs downhill to the valve. You can't always find un-level ground at a dump station, in order to park with the valve-side low, although one of the dump sites at our regular campground is sloped this way.

I have the habit of connecting my drain hose at the far end first, then holding the near end under the outlet as I take off the cap which mitigates the problem without extra equipment.

Larry
Of course... you missed several important parts of my post.

I indicated the valve was near the tank, not at the side of the R/V.
I also indicated I CLOSED the valve before moving.
That, left some liquid in the pipe that didn't come out on draining but did so after moving.
Had NOTHING to do with what was still in the tank.
Geesh.

Quote:
How much comes out?

Old 04-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #12

Mine occasionally leaks a little too. I put a small plastic bucket under the cap before I remove it to catch any leakage. Usually only a few drops, but sometimes a cup or so of liquid. The bucket is easier to dump and rinse than cleaning a spill.f
Geoff Ralling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #13

X2. I didn't have a leaky valve but I put this on as a backup just in case.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:51 PM   #14

Two valves?

Quote:
Of course... you missed several important parts of my post.

I indicated the valve was near the tank, not at the side of the R/V.
I also indicated I CLOSED the valve before moving.
That, left some liquid in the pipe that didn't come out on draining but did so after moving.
Had NOTHING to do with what was still in the tank.
Geesh.
You had two valves on the tank?

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:54 PM   #15

Black tank valve leaking

Before you go too far the next time you empty and flush your black tank, when you detach the sewer line open the black valve a spray it down real good. You may have a piece of toile paper stuck in it causing it to leak. Good luck.
SweetOleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
You had two valves on the tank?

Larry
Not originally... a valve at the tank and a CAP at the dump port. (Re-read the post)

I did though after I added the screw on dump port valve. (which I also mentioned previously)

But enough, we've derailed this thread far too much.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:49 PM   #17

We've had this happen twice. First time, on a TT, a cotton ball found its way into the toilet and got jammed into the valve seat. I know this because I removed the valve and found it. The 2nd time it happened was on our 5th wheel, where the valve was way harder to remove. A local RV shop sold me some valve cleaning goop to pour into the toilets, and, to my surprise, that worked. Must have been a piece of Jammed paper.

In my opinion, on a MH, if you go through the trouble of exposing the valve, I'd replace it not repair it.

Btw. I always carry the "quick fix" mentioned earlier.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #18

We use the Valterra valve also. It's a whole lot cheaper than paying someone to try to fix it.

One experience of having the black water gushing out when we removed the cap convinced us that the second valve was worth the cost.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #19

My drain hose comes up through the floor so I have a clear elbow to hook up to. Since the elbow is downstream from the blade valve I can clearly see if there’s any leakage before removing the cap.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 PM   #20
Sunseeker 2400MBW

“I have the habit of connecting my drain hose at the far end first, then holding the near end under the outlet as I take off the cap which mitigates the problem without extra equipment.”

My husband started doing this a few dumps ago, it had started having big drips when we took the cap off. Saved him, it would have been super disgusting otherwise.

Now I have this enzyme stuff, “Unique RV digest it”. don’t know if I should give up the Geo method. It’s hard to find water softener.

Tags
black, black tank, leak, saunseeker, sunseeker, tank, valve