Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Blow out rear tire. Question

We had a blow out of our inside dually passenger side tire this morning. It ripped out 2 sets of wires which no one can tell me what they are for.

Our leveling jacks work.
Our lights work
Our slide works
Our brakes work.

We do not know what these wires went to. Can anyone help. I will try to attach a picture in my next post.
colestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

Sorry I do not know how to add a picture.
colestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

Check all rear 110v and 12v outlets.

Check any 4 or larger trailer/toad outlets.

Tank sensors?

Generator?

Flux Capacitor?
Old 07-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colestat View Post
We had a blow out of our inside dually passenger side tire this morning. It ripped out 2 sets of wires which no one can tell me what they are for.

Our leveling jacks work.
Our lights work
Our slide works
Our brakes work.

We do not know what these wires went to. Can anyone help. I will try to attach a picture in my next post.
If you have voltmeter you can test to see which wires if any are hot. Sometimes wire color can help identify which if any are ground and the VOM should be able to confirm if 120v or 12V. Be careful. Start with everything shut off and have assistant turn on one item at a time.

RE tire failure. Have you read the thread "Why Tires Fail"
I know your current question is about the wires but preventing failure in the first place is a good idea. And if you don't know why the tire failed you may not be able to prevent a recurrence.
How did you discover the failure? If you don't have TPMS ( I am assuming you don't) there is no way to know how many miles you drove with the one tire loosing air which means you were overloading its mate and may have done serious structural damage to it. It needs to be dismounted and you need tire dealer to inspect and pronounce it OK IN WRITING.

Is the P/U a FORD? A Ford dealer should be able to ID the wires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Sorry I do not know how to add a picture.
Please post which forest river you have and model number. It is tough offering help if we don't have a clue whether you have the same RV as we may have.

Uploads can be accomplished by following the instructions shown below.

down below the frame where you type your message is an area called "Additional Options"

Click on the "manage attachments"

It will bring up a popup screen that allows you to upload attachments from your computer or phone depending on what you are using to access this site.

Hope this helps,
shermand
ShermanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #6

If your Sunseeker has Michelin tires, you may be in the period of a tire recall.
The recall was 2010 to 2012. If yours is a 2013, the cutaway may have been built in 2012 and the MH titled as a 2013. Worth a check.

Recall alert: Michelin recalls truck, RV tires | Clark Howard
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
If your Sunseeker has Michelin tires, you may be in the period of a tire recall.
The recall was 2010 to 2012. If yours is a 2013, the cutaway may have been built in 2012 and the MH titled as a 2013. Worth a check.

Recall alert: Michelin recalls truck, RV tires | Clark Howard

If your dealer registered the tires as he is required to do by Federal Regulation you should have received notice in the mail. BUT I would not count on either FR or an RV dealer doing what they are suppose to do as far as tire registration so check your DOT against the list.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

Thank you PenJoe for the information about the tire recall. I also have a 2011 Sunseeker with those tires and I never received any information about a recall. I will call Michelin tomorrow to see if I can get new tires.
rhughsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #9

Upgrade your tires.

• With one gone, and one possibly damaged, this seems like the perfect opportunity to upgrade your tires. Get tires rated for 81 mph and a higher load range. Most trailers are close to the load range limit of the tires under them, and that is a recipe for disaster.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:44 PM   #10

Pre wired back up camera?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:31 PM   #11
Previous Member

The wires you have in question my be for the Artic heating units on the storage tanks near the rear wheels Grey and Black tanks They may have the heat pads on the bottom under side. Just have a look under them. They are small gage wire 12v Allan Kay
allan kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #12

The wires are probably your clearance lights. The wires are routed along a rail forward of the tires. Insulation covers them up. I had a tire failure last month. Took out the wiring for the clearance lights. By the way, you may not have any clearance lights, tail lights or tag lights. If not, You will need to replace fuse #22 in the fuse box under the driver side, behind the parking brake. Mine is currently in the shop to replace the fender well. Beat it up good and opened a hole into the sub basement. Got a replacement light from Amazon. If the wires have a small clip on the end, clearance light forward of the wheel. Just get a new one and route the wire flex behind the bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #13

Posted a few pics
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469999731.598733.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	115936
Forward of tire

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469999776.283238.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	115937
Opened a hole into sub basement

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469999818.797890.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	115938
Clearance light wires

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1469999964.692723.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	115939
Now, I have this with TPMS thanks to Tireman9.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:

Our leveling jacks work.
Our lights work
Our slide works
Our brakes work.

Do you have tank heaters (Arctic pack)? Those wires are usually not well protected.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:32 PM   #15

First thing I'd do is get rid of the valve extensions. I've had them fail on me.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #16

The valve extenders did not cause my problem. I added them afterwards to support the new TPMS. I think I had a puncture as I had a very slight vibration in the steering wheel that I blamed on the road. I now have a TPMS that will alert me on that condition. So I installed the extenders to make tire checking easier. Had all of this on a get list, just pushed the purchase to the top. At the next tire replacement, I will look into the all metal, longer valve stems.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
tire