Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #1

Bottoming out when towing

My 2015 Sunseeker 3010 with blue Ox towing setup bottoms out with the road surface when turning with an up or down grade. I am adding a 2" hitch raise adapter to try and avoid the issue.
Any comments/suggestions?
degates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #2

Are you sure its not the skids on the bottom of the frame. Mine does it in a lot of the southern states because of the way they drain rain run off. If you have air bags, increase air pressure. Towing car or trailer?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #3

Tow Mini Copper, it definitely hitting at the hitch connection with the Blue Ox. I Originally thought it was the auto leveling struts but I witnessed the contact with the hitch when my wife was turning while backing the rig up a grade without the toad hooked up.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #4

That's the nature of the beast. I tow a car trailer and pump the rear bags to 90 psi. Helps but still drags in some places. Does your hitch hang below the level of the skids? If so maybe a more straight ball mount may be better.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #5

Thx for the input. To be honest I don't know if I have rear air suspension. 2015 Ford E450 Chassis
Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Weekender

You can make a cursory check in the storage compartments directly after the rear wheels. This is where they normally install the Shrader valves to air up the suspension.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #7

Will do...thx
Old 07-23-2017, 01:11 PM   #8

Voila! I do hv air vales on both sides in the rear compartment behind the wheel. Thx
Old 07-24-2017, 03:20 PM   #9

re

Come off and on curb at an angle
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
Come off and on curb at an angle
X2 If you can exit/enter at an angle, it make a big difference on dragging. The air bag will help, but you must remember, you have a lot of overhang back there.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:18 PM   #11

I also tow a Mini. Airing up can help and changing the hitch adapter too. But remember it is recommended that the hitch on the RV and attachment points on the toad not be greater then one inch difference in height from the road or level.

I'm considering having a 2 inch lift kit installed on the mini and changing my drop hitch from a 6 inch drop to a 4 giving extra ground clearance. I haven't bottomed out yet but the Mini is very low to the ground but I'm concerned it might become an issue when we go to Alaska.
Chrisc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #12

Might loose it in a pot hole!😀😀😀😀😀
Old 07-25-2017, 07:20 PM   #13

BTW, how do you like the Mini as a toad? I get a kick out of being different. There's so many Jeep toads it makes me yawn their so ubiquitous.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Might loose it in a pot hole!😀😀😀😀😀
Actually it might be possible. I don't even know its back there its so small and light weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc40 View Post
I also tow a Mini. Airing up can help and changing the hitch adapter too. But remember it is recommended that the hitch on the RV and attachment points on the toad not be greater then one inch difference in height from the road or level.

I'm considering having a 2 inch lift kit installed on the mini and changing my drop hitch from a 6 inch drop to a 4 giving extra ground clearance. I haven't bottomed out yet but the Mini is very low to the ground but I'm concerned it might become an issue when we go to Alaska.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 PM   #15

Quote:
BTW, how do you like the Mini as a toad? I get a kick out of being different. There's so many Jeep toads it makes me yawn their so ubiquitous.
But you will be happy when one comes along to get ya outa' the pothole.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
But you will be happy when one comes along to get ya outa' the pothole.
If I can figure out which pothole its in😁
Old 07-26-2017, 08:45 AM   #17

Quote:
If I can figure out which pothole its in😁
In my youthful years, I used to race sports cars on a slalom course. The best I could ever place was second on a wet course. Number uno was a Mini driven by a doctor. He beat out the Porches, Vettes, and Jags that day. We both did. But after that day, I have always had an admiration for the Mini.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Actually it might be possible. I don't even know its back there its so small and light weight.
Might there be a front and rear air bag kit for the Mini. Air them up while towing and more rugged terrain and let them down for driving better roads.
The Mini, as it is, does so well with the low center of gravity.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Might there be a front and rear air bag kit for the Mini. Air them up while towing and more rugged terrain and let them down for driving better roads.
The Mini, as it is, does so well with the low center of gravity.
The lift kit fits my needs since I don't care to go off road or plan to drive it fast and wild. Airbags are a good thought for those who would be going off road.

Originally, we were going the Jeep route in order to have all the capabilities but after much thought the Mini seemed best pick overall. It doesn't cost nearly as much as a Jeep, doesn't have the frame rust issues, the engine is more reliable, much better mpg, and lighter to tow. The Jeep has much better clearance and off road capability. However, we don't get thrills from off roading and if we needed to go in the out and beyond we'd simply rent a Jeep and put the wear and tear on a rental instead. Net net we're way ahead for what we pay vs what we want from the toad.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #20

Chris, If u hv a 6" drop that says to me your rig is initially too high. (Class A??). My problem is my rig Is too low so I trying to raise the rear at the hitch with adapter and/or air bag PSI

Tags
towing