Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Brian, the Fixed Crack is recracking!

I'm one of those that had a crack repaired in a Sunseeker 3170 courtesy of Forest River.

Well, the crack is recracking, but not in the same direction. Instead of diagonal, it's more pointing down.

Forest River Forums - DXSMac's Album: Crack is Recracking - Picture

Can I just fix this with silicone or something? I don't have time to be without my RV again for a whole month. I have to leave for Iowa in early April! I have a paid job in Iowa for the summer.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #2

Crack repairs in my aviation days involved drilling a hole at the end of the crack in an effort to provide a stress relief point. Then depending on the skin material, we would construct the appropriate patch.

I think you could put silicone or some other exterior flexible sealant on it, but that does nothing to address and stop the growing crack. As to an approved repair method for the RV, well....

Just my $0.02.
carlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Love My Sunseeker

To Brian again, if I did need to go back to the repair place I went to in January, should I go to the RV dealer or to the body shop that actually did the repair? I don't know how much "warranty" the body shop gave, it's not on my paperwork.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:15 PM   #4

If you are going to stop drill the crack, like carlb said, make sure to drill ahead of the crack. The crack should continue to the drilled 1/8" hole and stop. You may need to stop drill the other end of the crack too. Then they can continue with the correct repair.
Minooka, IL.
checca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #5
Commercial Member

You should not be worried about using the unit, that crack was mainly cosmetic and would stop at the belt-rail anyway. Drill the hole, a dab of silicone and enjoy your summer. You would take it back to the dealer that did the repair...if their work was faulty they will be responsible to fix it.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
You should not be worried about using the unit, that crack was mainly cosmetic and would stop at the belt-rail anyway. Drill the hole, a dab of silicone and enjoy your summer. You would take it back to the dealer that did the repair...if their work was faulty they will be responsible to fix it.
I won't be able to go back to where it was fixed until October. By then, I think it would be too late for whatever warranty they had on the repair. Can I just pay someone to silicone and drill?

Old 03-26-2015, 03:26 PM   #7
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
I won't be able to go back to where it was fixed until October. By then, I think it would be too late for whatever warranty they had on the repair. Can I just pay someone to silicone and drill?
IMO, if you call them now and send pictures- they should honor the warranty when you go back.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Commercial Member

I would silicone and call it a day, or put a small piece of eternabond from the belt rail (raised metal trim running horizontal) to the slide opening. That would prevent any potential leaks and I don't see that crack growing beyond the belt rail.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Yes, by all means shoot a picture to mjankowski@forestriverinc.com with your VIN and enjoy the summer.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:26 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, I sent an email and a picture to mjankowski. However, my concern is that the Body Shop that did the repair may not honor any warranty because I waited too long.

Old 03-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #11

This is just an opinion based on the fact that I had an FR unit which cracked in this same area of a slide: There may be some damage to the structure of your unit just behind where these cracks have appeared. Most all RV units now are constructed of either a wooden frame or an aluminum frame with exterior and interior panels place on these frames. On my unit I found that with the wooden frame where two pieces came together at 90 degrees the staples had come loose allowing movement between these two pieces. The staples were not place correctly to start with. Imagine one wooden 2x2 "stud" being on a vertical plane, on the right side of the slide cut-out (as viewed from outside) and the other wooden 2x2 mating with this stud at 90 degrees to form the lower right corner of the slide cut-out. That is where the crack was on the exterior fiberglass panel. I came so close to pulling the slide room completely out of the TT to get to this area but finally found a way by pulling the couch out of place to get to the interior of the framework. I placed a sheet metal plate over each of the studs using wood screws to secure the plate in place. After drilling the mandatory 1/8" hole at the bottom of the crack I placed Eternabond tape over it and went on my way for well over a year. This patch was still on the TT when I traded it.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #12
Love My Sunseeker

I got a reply fro MJankowski:

JJ, thank you for your email and picture of the crack. It appears that the crack is in the body filler that is used on the seam when the original repair was made. Overlaying the crack with a sealant will solve the issue and a small flat molding could be glued over the crack which appears to be cosmetic. The other solution would be to use a longer ‘d’ seal on the slide seals and have it run down to the belt molding. When the slide closes, it would compress the ‘d’ seal and be an extra level of sealant against the crack. I will note the file and you can have it repaired later as you have time. Mike

I'm not sure whether "repair later" means Forest River pays or I pay. Whatever.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 AM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

Good news.

The body shop said they did a repair like that in another RV and it didn't quite "take" and they had to re-fix it, so they will take care of mine. They also said it's ok to put a "band aid" on it for now and bring it in during late October. I was told they warranty their repairs for two years, so I'm good! They estimate a week, so..... will be without my RV for a week...... oh well.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:43 AM   #14
Love My Sunseeker

Well, my "recracked" stress crack got worse. My correspondence with FR indicates it's probably in the "filler" used. I cannot get this fixed until October. The place I had it fixed in January is going to redo it.

For now, I have it siliconed. Here is the "Before"

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ture12856.html

Here is the "After"

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ture12857.html

I covered the cost of the "Band aid." The place that did the "band aid" advised me to keep a caulk gun handy as they think it will keep cracking.

This is just a temporary fix as I will not be able to go back to the body shop that did the original repair until October.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #15
Commercial Member

looks better than the repair

Old 10-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #16
Love My Sunseeker

Ok, update on this.

I am one of the Sunseeker 3170 owners that had a "stress crack" repaired. I had it repaired last January, took about three weeks (plus I had some other repairs done, so four weeks total....).

It re-cracked in the same general area in March 2015. At that time I couldn't go back in for another repair because I was going to be gone all summer. So talked to someone at Forest River, got a verbal authorization to just caulk it (but I had to pay for it, FR didn't pay for that...).

During the summer, got the "re-repair" scheduled for end of October (about now....) Just got the RV into the body shop.

Ok, the body shop rep told me they were going to talk to Forest River again to see how to proceed. Um..... I didn't think they needed to get Forest River involved, because Forest River paid for the initial repair, FR isn't going to pay for the "re-cracking...." But the body shop says they will try anyway. All I know is..... I am not paying for the repair.

They are going to take two days to brainstorm it, then START the repair on Monday. Supposed to take only a week after they START the repair..... Hope it takes only a week......

Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
Love My Sunseeker

Called for a status update. My RV is supposed to be done Friday. I went to the same body shop that I went to last January, kind of.... had to..... I think this body shop is really trying hard to do a good job and make sure it's fixed right.....but I find that the representative I'm dealing with doesn't like to answer questions. He just "blabbers words in the hope that you will shut up."

I emailed the prior correspondence between the body shop, Forest River, and me as a reminder. I asked if they were going to attempt the "suggested repair" by Forest River. I got told that the body shop came up with a "better" way, but the rep would not explain what was meant by "better." Actually the words he used was "more reinforced." But he wouldn't explain what "more reinforced" was.....

I asked why this one is taking only a week where as the January repair took three weeks. I was told that last January they were busy and had to "work mine in." But this time, I scheduled it five months in advance so they were able to schedule "devoted resources" (my words, not theirs....) to it.

Whatever..... I just hope it lasts.......

Old 10-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #18
Love My Sunseeker

Well, I discovered B Clemens is now with a different division. Ok, I hope someone took his place and is seeing these updates...... and taking notes for whatever......

And Brian, thanks for all your help and support for Sunseekers.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #19
Class C Representative

I have been following this thread. Brian clemens still chimes in every once in a while. As for right now it sounds like your rep is handling it to the best of their ability.
PLEASE do not send questions via Profile comments or Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
Joshua Cavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:39 PM   #20
Love My Sunseeker

Thanks! I'm scheduled to pick it up at 3:30 today at Chehalis Collision.