Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #1

Broken Shower Skylight on a 2014 SS 2250SLEC

Has anyone replaced the exterior shower Skylight Dome on a 2250? I have been searching for "Replacing Skylight" on FRF and google. A dead branch fell on mine this fall. The ones I see on EZ Top and Icon are "Lexan" ,which appears to be almost non breakable. I measured the dome dimension to be 14"x22" and the outer edge I believe is 17" x26". I currently am covering the crack with 3M tape and a piece of plastic (a kludge!).
In theory, this looks like an easy fix after watching some YouTube Videos. My problem is that one edge (flange) of the Skylight appears to have been installed under the trim covering where the roof meets the sidewall. Will this be a problem that I should have it done by an RV Technician or can I ( a novice) do it? I'll see if I can attach a photo of where it's located on my 2250.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SkyLight.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	157623  
Old 12-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

My SS2300 is the same way, with the rear seam overlapping the skylight. It was a P.I.T.A. to replace because the screws along the rear edge of the skylight are under the seam! If you remove enough of the seam screws, you can pry it up enough to get at the screws for the skylight. When I put in the new skylight I didn't replace those screws, Dicor followed by Eternabond Tape - no problems after one year. The inside part of the skylight had to be modified to fit the new lexan skylight.

Phil
PhilG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:36 PM   #3

Broken Shower Skylight replacement

Phil,
Thanks for the info. What did you need to modify on the inside of the Skylight? I was hoping a Lexan replacement Skylight would match the original fairly well. Did you buy a Skylight with predrilled holes or did you get one where you had to drill them yourself. The EZ Top product looks like you have to drill the holes yourself. That way I can drill holes to match the existing holes in the roof. Icon Skylights look like they come pre drilled. The SS 2300 looks very similar to the 2250 as far as the shower skylight is concerned. I've been in a 2300 in our local Campers Inn.
Thanks,
Allan
Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #4

Because the old, flimsy skylight was a rectangular shape and the new skylight was an oval shape, the interior part would not fit properly. Once you remove the interior part you'll see that the roof is about an inch thicker on one side than the other. I measured each corner and used a cutting wheel to trim off the inside part. I then bought a piece of plexi-glass and glued & chaulked it together- actually looks pretty good.
My replacement skylight was pre-drilled, but the holes lined up! The only holes I had to drill were for the seam screws to go thru the skylight. Make sure you use flat-head/sheetmetal screws and don't over tighten them to prevent the skylight from cracking!
Did I mention removing those screws under the seam are a Royal PITA!!
**Have plenty of adult beverages handy and no-one nearby that might be offended by profanity!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:55 PM   #5

Phil,
Sorry for so many questions. Did you replace both external and internal Shower Skylights? I looked into the hole that the branch made on mine and the interior Skylight is several inches below the top of the roof. I'm just replacing the exterior Skylight. From the info on EZ Tops, the Skylight is flat on the bottom where the Flange is so I would expect the Oval Lexan Skylight will sit flush on the roof and I only have to worry about the seam. Maybe the SS2300 Shower Skylight setup is different than the 2250.
I just ordered Eternabond on Amazon. This looks like a better seal than just Dicor Lap Seal. It's about 20 degrees here in MA at night and 40 during the day so this will be a Spring project.
Thanks again.
Allan
Old 12-05-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

I was rushed due to the approaching hurricane last year, so I slapped down the dicor. Remove the interior part of the skylight and check to see what yours looks like before ordering the new skyight parts.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #7

Try to wash your roof, that's pretty bad!
Old 12-06-2017, 09:27 PM   #8

Thanks. I was in the process of washing the roof when I noticed the cracked SkyLight. I started at the front and was working towards the back when I saw the SkyLight damage so I stopped. I have an ADCO designer RV cover which does a good job in our weather. It's supposed to be in the 40's tomorrow so I might be able to clean the roof with Dawn Ultra and finish up with a liquid wax. Finally the cover goes on, which is rather heavy.
I was wondering about the interior dome and Skylight Garnish. I was looking at it through the cracked outer Skylight. It appeared to be OK but I'm not sure how much water went in and where it went so I guess I'll try to remove it and check for dry rot or other damage. The limb that fell on it was rather small. I was surprised that it could break the exterior skylight. Looks like a double PITA job to me! I'll have to search to see how to remove the interior Garnish to look for damage.

Tags
2014, light, show, shower, skylight