Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Cable Tv question

We have a 2016 2861 DS. Did a search on this, and can’t find it. Anyway, we’re at a resort RV campground, tried to get their cable Tv using cable outside port on coach. Have booster and antenna off, set channel scan to auto like I’ve always done and we got 12 snowy channels. The campground maintenance guy hooked up their tv directly, their signal is good and he got 46 clear channels. We then hooked up directly to our outside tv in the outside kitchen and that worked. So it looks like something is faulty in the wiring in the coach. Ugh, now what?? We can call an electronic guy to come out, but is he going to have to tear my motorhome walls up to find the problem?? Our now $100 a night site is becoming even more costly! Any suggestions as to what to look for? We’ve been to this RV Resort before and hooked up cable Tv just fine. We’re stumped.
1979 Tioga 25' bunkbed (first RV in 1992)
LinandLen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If you have a SAT dish connection on the outside right next to your cable in, try hooking up to that.

And also if you have a SAT connection on the wall plate right by the TV's...try that as well!

Both new RV's I've purchased in the last 5 1/2 years had both of these connections wired up backwards from the factory.

In otherwords...I found the cable signal coming through the SAT wiring...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

I don’t have a SAT connection on the outside next to the cable. It’s not a situation with mixed up wiring as we have hooked up to Resort cable before without any problems.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinandLen View Post
I don’t have a SAT connection on the outside next to the cable. It’s not a situation with mixed up wiring as we have hooked up to Resort cable before without any problems.
Interesting...

One RV resort I used to frequent had a strange cable setup that I could never make work with my new 5'ver.

However, one time I forgot to change my TV from 'antenna' to cable, and guess what...I got the cable channels!

Turn the antenna amp off and try that to see what happens.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
However, one time I forgot to change my TV from 'antenna' to cable, and guess what...I got the cable channels!...
More than once for me
Old 08-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #6

The antenna and booster are off. No go. I wish it was a simple fix. The only thing I can think of is we had to remove the outlet panel that has the booster, cigarette lighter, and cable connection last month because our power cord fried, and maybe something came loose from that. #scratchinghead
Old 08-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

And you re-scanned your TV now set on “Cable”?
Old 08-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
The antenna and booster are off. No go. I wish it was a simple fix. The only thing I can think of is we had to remove the outlet panel that has the booster, cigarette lighter, and cable connection last month because our power cord fried, and maybe something came loose from that. #scratchinghead
That is probably it.

I had trouble with that in mine, too and it turned out that two wires were touching each other in there.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #9

Try turning the booster back on and try scanning on 'Antenna' instead of cable.

I can't remember how I did mine when that worked...
Old 08-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #10
D W

Quote:
My guess is that you have something gone awry in your T.V. wall plate. Burnt or loose connection?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:00 PM   #11

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3941.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	183641This is what our connection looks like. Cable runs into this plate and it’s hooked up to cable connection behind Tv. This is the way it always was when we were successful hooking up to cable Tv before. Never had a problem until now. We just took this plate off again to make sure everything was ok there. Wires are fine, nothing burned, all connected perfect. Arrrgh. I really don’t want someone coming in all over my dinette table and cushions to try and fix this.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:21 AM   #12

I would check all the coax connections you were working on, make sure all the copper wires in the middle are not bent over or too short. Check the crimps haven’t slipped or are loose and then re tighten with pliers.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:51 AM   #13

Your outside tv works ok. The rv guy hooked up his tv and it worked.
Did he try hooking his tv directly to that connection inside the coach? That would tell you if you're having trouble with your inside tv itself or the connection.

There can also be a very strange cause of a snowy tv and that has to do with LED lights. A faulty LED light in a friends coach near a wire caused a snowy tv. It had something to do with the shielding on the LED light.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:28 PM   #14

Update: We bought a better cable, hooked it up to the outside cable outlet, and then I hooked it up to the outlet in the bedroom wall (bedroom tv cabinet area), and the cable worked for the living room big tv. So that inside cable running from the bedroom to the front is ok. We then tried to hook it back up to work all tvs, and again the same problem. No cable tv. We're probably going to have to get a tester, but where does the cable run from the outside connection? When we lift the bed up, we can see where the cable comes in from the outside wall and under the bed. Then where? We're probably going to have to move the mattress somewhere. It's difficult holding that mattress up to see what's going on. Anyone who has a similar Forester ever go through trying to troubleshoot the cable wiring? If so, any advice you can give us would be greatly appreciated at this point. It also helps if you know what you're doing, and we're a clueless couple!!
Old 08-23-2018, 04:58 PM   #15

When you are connected to the coax connection on the outside do any of the tv's work?
If you connect to each TV direct from an outside source(not going through plug on side of coach) do you get reception?

Can you pull the antenna booster cover off and then connect one at a time to the cables attached with a coupler and retest the TV outside and in the bedroom.
If you get reception connecting direct and only Living room TV when connected to the outside terminal then when you fried your 12V connector you may have also fried your circuit board on the ant booster/splitter which goes to your outside TV and bedroom TV.
You can buy them online for about $30.
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHed View Post
When you are connected to the coax connection on the outside do any of the tv's work?
If you connect to each TV direct from an outside source(not going through plug on side of coach) do you get reception?

Can you pull the antenna booster cover off and then connect one at a time to the cables attached with a coupler and retest the TV outside and in the bedroom.
If you get reception connecting direct and only Living room TV when connected to the outside terminal then when you fried your 12V connector you may have also fried your circuit board on the ant booster/splitter which goes to your outside TV and bedroom TV.
You can buy them online for about $30.
None of the tvs worked when connected from the outside coax. Tvs worked when connected directly to the coax connection behind each tv. The front tv worked when connected to the coax connection inside the bedroom tv cabinet. I don't think anything fried inside the ant booster, just the faulty power plug fried, but the circuit board hasn't been tested. We're going to try one more thing, and take it to Pismo Coast, hook it up to their cable and see if it's a go then. They're allowing us to hook up and check it without charging us a nightly fee. There were others at Wine Country RV who could not get cable either using their outside coax. One was a 2017 Airstream. And yes, their booster was off and they even switched from their satellite connection to their coax connection. We think it could have possibly been a weak signal at Wine Country. If not, then we're going to have to get some testers, but we really don't know what we're doing!
Old 09-20-2018, 12:04 AM   #17

For what it’s worth, you seem to know a heck of a lot more than us!!! Best of luck!

Tags
cable, forester