Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #1

can i tow a truck with dolly

hello everyone been a while since I was on this sight. Hope everyone is doing good. Different times for sure. I was wondering if anyone tows an F150 4x4 with a dolly. i heard you can do it as long as you back on the dolly. we have a G5 Pontiac but were hopping to get ride of it and just keep the truck. we would be toing it behind our 31 foot C class. any thoughts would be appreciated. thank you and hope you have a great new years
happy retired camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #2

What does your Ford F-150 owners manual say about dinghy towing?
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #3

Why not just flat tow it?
Trksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #4

As per post#2, read the F-150's owner's manual about recreational vehicle towing. Often the manual offers guidance, and in some cases very detailed instructions on how to tow the vehicle.

If you are looking for comments from someone else who tows an F-150, it would help if you would include the model year of your truck in your post.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
As per post#2, read the F-150's owner's manual about recreational vehicle towing. Often the manual offers guidance, and in some cases very detailed instructions on how to tow the vehicle.

If you are looking for comments from someone else who tows an F-150, it would help if you would include the model year of your truck in your post.
ok thanks its a 2015 5 liter 4x4 F150
Old 12-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trksr View Post
Why not just flat tow it?
thought about it but this way when we trade in the truck dont have to worry about getting the next one all set up. we would just use the same dolly
Old 12-31-2020, 12:30 AM   #7

Have not done this myself but I know someone that flat tows a 4x4 1/2 ton. All he does is put the transfer case in neutral.
Dolly towing shouldn't be any different.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:31 AM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Wondering

I cannot answer your question directly however it appears that you have a vehicle that can be dinghy towed. I have towed a sedan on a trailer, economy car on a dolly and now I dinghy tow a 1/2 car. Of the 3 methods, dinghy towing is the easiest only because I can reverse for short distances. Trailer towing is next and backing is no problem. Dolly is last, fuhgettabout backing. When you get to your destination you must then find a place to park a trailer or dolly so they do not walk away. Based on my experience it appears you are looking to avoid installing a baseplate on a 2015. The money savings does not appear to be there.
Because of the weight of your pickup you need a stout dolly. They are not cheap, even used. The cost of a brake buddy or alike can be transferred to your replacement toad down the road.

Now for the part that causes me to wonder: How can you be a Retired Camper and still be motoring about in a 31’ C? Come to think of it, how does one retire from camping at all? Do the squirrels give you a stipend?

YMMV
Old 12-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I cannot answer your question directly however it appears that you have a vehicle that can be dinghy towed. I have towed a sedan on a trailer, economy car on a dolly and now I dinghy tow a 1/2 car. Of the 3 methods, dinghy towing is the easiest only because I can reverse for short distances. Trailer towing is next and backing is no problem. Dolly is last, fuhgettabout backing. When you get to your destination you must then find a place to park a trailer or dolly so they do not walk away. Based on my experience it appears you are looking to avoid installing a baseplate on a 2015. The money savings does not appear to be there.
Because of the weight of your pickup you need a stout dolly. They are not cheap, even used. The cost of a brake buddy or alike can be transferred to your replacement toad down the road.

Now for the part that causes me to wonder: How can you be a Retired Camper and still be motoring about in a 31’ C? Come to think of it, how does one retire from camping at all? Do the squirrels give you a stipend?

YMMV
lmao I am retired and love camping. just retired at the start covid so we got a seasonal campground in white lake in Ontario for the summer last year hoping to head to BC for the summer this year and then covid permitting head down south this winter. We love our C class has everything we need. Did not retire rich but was lucky enough to still be fairly healthy with a bit of money in my pocket after 40 years underground .but I am going to have to look into flat towing starting yo sound like the better alternative
Old 12-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #10
llr

My 2017 (2015 is the same gen so probably the same) F150 manual clearly states 4 up on a trailer or 4 down on the ground. Not either end on the ground.

I have read about drive shaft disconnects a long time ago, if these are still available and available for the F150 then a dolly should work. I wouldn't consider a dolly without this.

I agree that 4 down is the best.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:46 AM   #11
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy retired camper View Post
hello everyone been a while since I was on this sight. Hope everyone is doing good. Different times for sure. I was wondering if anyone tows an F150 4x4 with a dolly. i heard you can do it as long as you back on the dolly. we have a G5 Pontiac but were hopping to get ride of it and just keep the truck. we would be toing it behind our 31 foot C class. any thoughts would be appreciated. thank you and hope you have a great new years
1. A LOT, not all, but A LOT of 4X4 vehicles CANNOT be dolly towed because the axels need to turn at similar speeds.
2. A LOT of 4X4 vehicles can be flat towed. Look in your owners manual under the heading of “Recreational towing”.
3. MOST 4x4 vehicles are towed on a trailer.....all 4 wheel off the ground.
4. Your F150 4X4 is a pretty BIG toad for a Class C.
5. Your G5 makes an awesome toad ......May or may not be flat towed, and certainly can be dollied.....check owner’s manual.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

Towing a F 150

That may be too much weight to tow behind a C-Class. Check your towing capacity. If you are within capacity you will need to either flat tow the truck or put it on a trailer. If you flat tow then you need a good breaking system added to the truck as well.
G Hollingsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
thought about it but this way when we trade in the truck dont have to worry about getting the next one all set up. we would just use the same dolly
Assuming, of course, that your next truck can be towed using a dolly.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Provided you have not already exceeded the tow limit, let's compare safety features of the dolly vs the flat tow. The dolly has two wheel brakes (most likely surge actuated drum) and two braking areas. Flat towing the 2015 Ford F150 has 4-wheel disc brakes. Flat towing braking systems are proportional and can be used on other toads. The base plate would be the exception, depending on your next toad purchase. For safety reasons, you are towing twice the weight of your current toad with the same braking capacity. If the dolly has drum brakes, they will overheat pretty quickly and may substantially increase your stopping distance vs the flat tow setup.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+be+flat+towed
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:58 PM   #15

You can tow it on a dolly with a little bit of work. Once you have it on the dolly you will need to disconnect the drive shaft and tie it up.
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:33 PM   #16

My Dad towed his 2019 F150 4x4 all four down behind his class C. He had to go through several steps to get everything in neutral. When he completed the process a message would come up in the DIC stating it was in neutral and ready to tow.
The steps should be easy to find, either in the owners manual or a ford website/forum.
Flat towing is way easier than messing with a dolly.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:03 AM   #17

Years ago I flat towed my jacked up F150 4x4 pickup behind a U-Haul from AZ to CA. I found out to my chagrin that the towed vehicle needs to be lower than the hitch on the towing vehicle. Every once in a while we'd make a turn and the front wheels on the pickup would turn sideways, and drag us to a halt. This usuallly happened in the middle of an intersection. When we were in San Diego, I had my young son steer the pickup around the corners for us. By the time we got to the bay area, the washers holding the tow bar to the truck had almost pulled out of the bumper. On our move back, we flat towed my wife's car (lower than the hitch) with no problems.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #18

Quote:
thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. after reading the responses I think i will stick to towing our little car as we have been. just wanted to see if i would be able to use the truck. but after reading your comments I believe its much safer to keep doing what i have been thank you hope you all have a great new years eve and many more to come
Old 01-01-2021, 01:07 PM   #19

Quote:
thank you everyone for taking the time to respond. after reading the responses I think i will stick to towing our little car as we have been. just wanted to see if i would be able to use the truck. but after reading your comments I believe its much safer to keep doing what i have been thank you hope you all have a great new years eve and many more to come
You’re welcome and from my family to yours, have a wonderful new year. Safe travels!
Dsimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsimes View Post
You’re welcome and from my family to yours, have a wonderful new year. Safe travels!

X all of us!
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
truck