Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Can i use eternabond tape on roof

Trying to find out if I can use eternabond tape on the roof of my RV instead of dicor self-leveling caulk?
kitejunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I have used eternabond tape on a rubber roof with good results. Having said that, I would use the dicor when possible.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:51 PM   #3

Yes. Some folks like myself put a thin smear (not bead) on the eternabond edges after they are done.

Cleaning up the old dicor is very important.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:10 PM   #4

Yes, that's what Eternabond tape was made for. Shortly after getting my new rig home, and while the factory lap sealant was still soft, I put Eternabond over all the roof seams, around the skylight, vents, tv antenna and ladder attachments. Anyplace where the roof membrane had been cut, spliced and sealed. I just cleaned these areas good with Awesome cleaner and a brush, rinsed off, let dry, then wipe down with acetone. Then apply the tape. There are several good you tube videos, and several good write ups here about Eternabond tape.
Bought mine from Amazon.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #5

For many situations I would even say Eternabond tape is preferable over Dicor if properly installed.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidg View Post
Yes, that's what Eternabond tape was made for. Shortly after getting my new rig home, and while the factory lap sealant was still soft, I put Eternabond over all the roof seams, around the skylight, vents, tv antenna and ladder attachments. Anyplace where the roof membrane had been cut, spliced and sealed. I just cleaned these areas good with Awesome cleaner and a brush, rinsed off, let dry, then wipe down with acetone. Then apply the tape. There are several good you tube videos, and several good write ups here about Eternabond tape.
Bought mine from Amazon.

Did you put the eternabond over the dicor or did you remove all the dicor first?
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Did you put the eternabond over the dicor or did you remove all the dicor first?
My research led me to believe that I could lay the tape over the existing Dicor because the Dicor was still soft. If you choose to remove it, it must be scraped off. That requires spending a lot of time on that roof, and I've seen roof membranes damaged because someone twisted their shoes, and the rubber material wad up at that point. That stretches the material and it thins out. I believe you should spend the least amount of time as possible on the roof.

Work barefoot. I put the tools and tape in a bucket with a rope tied to the handle, climbed up, removed shoes, pulled bucket up.
Make sure the Eternabond tape you buy is wide enough to cover the seam plus at least a 1" margin on both sides. The tape is expensive, but this is not the place to save money. I bought a roll of 4" and a roll of 6" tape. In some locations I would split the 6" lengthwise to get 2 sections of 3" tape.
When you first start working with the tape, tackle the smallest job first, because there is a learning curve. I suggest this because the tape is not user friendly. When you remove the backing, make sure to not allow the tape to stick to itself. If it does, grab your scissors, because that piece is un-useable.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #8

Thanks

Thanks so much for your time I have a fiberglass roof, I'm going to clean the existing Dicor and then apply the tape. After that'll run it then amount of dicor either side of the tape. Thanks again
Old 03-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #9

Encapsulate the dicor , do not remove, that is a PITA job.
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Yes. Some folks like myself put a thin smear (not bead) on the eternabond edges after they are done.

Cleaning up the old dicor is very important.
Ditto on cleaning roof, I clean my roof 3 times a year and apply UV protector each time this is a priority to me.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #11

thanks

Do you use that UV protector on a fiberglass roof and what product do you use thank you for your time?
Old 03-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #12

Eternabond is a great product and is far superior to Dicor.

Removing the Dicor is only necessary to deliver a cleaner look. You can go over existing Dicor, but the result will be all lumpy. Removing it is preferable, but not requisite. Of course, you don't want to leave an eternabond edge on top of dicor.

There is absolutely no need to put dicor on top of the eternabond to seal its edges. This is just going to make a new dicor mess that adds no benefit to your roof seal and is just another area to create dicor cracks as it ages.

Preparation is important. Clean your roof with either the Eternabond cleaner, or wipe with acetone. You can overlap Eternabond if you need a wider width.

After applying, use a roller to get a good tight seal.

I have a 39' RV with an EPDM roof. I had multiple leaks around the edges that I couldn't get rid of. I finally did the entire edge circumference with Eternabond. Wonderful, all leaks gone away. Unfortunately, I do have lasting wood damage to the subroof and am going to need to remove the whole thing to have repaired. I'm going back with an Flex Armor Roof from RV Roof in Florida and getting rid of the whole EPDM/ Dicor mess.

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

I just went over the Dicor. I also put 6 inch wide tape under the Antenna to prevent wear and vibration holes where the antenna legs sit on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 036.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	101459  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #14

Herk7769,
The Enternabond you put on really looks good and will last many years. But those small circle vents need replacing after a few years due mainly to sun/weather exposure. I think the Eternabond is very hard to get off. So when I did a motorhome I did not put any around the vents or antenna fearing the job of having to take it off. I had to replace the vent covers after about 5 years. I removed the vent covers and the rest just came apart so I had to replace the whole thing and remove all the caulking. I did not have Eternabond on those vents.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by txredfish View Post
Herk7769,
The Enternabond you put on really looks good and will last many years. But those small circle vents need replacing after a few years due mainly to sun/weather exposure. I think the Eternabond is very hard to get off. So when I did a motorhome I did not put any around the vents or antenna fearing the job of having to take it off. I had to replace the vent covers after about 5 years. I removed the vent covers and the rest just came apart so I had to replace the whole thing and remove all the caulking. I did not have Eternabond on those vents.
Actually, I did think of that. Eternabond makes a permanent seal to itself, so you just cut away what you need to access the vent or whatever; then EB over everything. You never really remove it.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #16

Just checked with our dealer here in Kelowna and a 50 foot role of eterna bond tape 6 inches wide is $250.00. with our unit being a 2014 and with me checking the lap sealant on a regular basis , and with a fiberglass roof it does not seem practical to put eternal bond over di core that is not deteriorating/ cracked from age. Best to clean up is mineral spirits for the di core. The biggest issue I had with the Sun Seeker roof was on each side where all the screws were exposed and had no di core covering them when It left the factory. This has since been remedied.
Sealing on each side of the eternal bond with di core seems to be a bit of overkill.
Less time on one's roof the better, other than checking it and washing every 3 - 4 months.

Brandon2
2500 Sun Seeker2500TS
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon 2 View Post
Just checked with our dealer here in Kelowna and a 50 foot role of eterna bond tape 6 inches wide is $250.00. with our unit being a 2014 and with me checking the lap sealant on a regular basis , and with a fiberglass roof it does not seem practical to put eternal bond over di core that is not deteriorating/ cracked from age. Best to clean up is mineral spirits for the di core. The biggest issue I had with the Sun Seeker roof was on each side where all the screws were exposed and had no di core covering them when It left the factory. This has since been remedied.
Sealing on each side of the eternal bond with di core seems to be a bit of overkill.
Less time on one's roof the better, other than checking it and washing every 3 - 4 months.

Brandon2
2500 Sun Seeker2500TS

We bought two 25' rolls of tape on eBay for $75.98 free ship - they are 4" wide tan colored

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

I got mine online for a small fraction of that.

Let me look it up and I will post a link.
Herk

http://www.eternabond.com/RoofSeal-p/cr-rs.htm

So to do the front and back seams takes 1 6 inch 25 foot roll with LOTS of spare wide tape for emergency repairs. $ 75.76

To do ALL the roof penetrations requires just one 4 inch 25 foot roll $ 50.50 (The 50 foot roll is $84.39)

1 14 oz can of Primer/cleaner http://www.eternabond.com/EternaPrim...me%20spray.htm $ 25.79

Total cost $ 152.05 plus shipping and sales tax.

I did my roof the second summer after I brought it home. The first roof service was $250 by my dealership. (Basically Dicor, wash, and UV treat)

All subsequent summers are just a wash UV treatment that I do myself (essentially free).

Just found this site that is even cheaper.

http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341

4 inch 50 foot long roll $ 55.95
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11341
6 inch 50 foot long roll $ 83.95
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=11342

Eternabond Primer http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=17940

GET THE SEAM ROLLER! $ 5.95
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15008
Old 03-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrle View Post
Ditto on cleaning roof, I clean my roof 3 times a year and apply UV protector each time this is a priority to me.
Can you expand on this RV UV roof protector? What Brand, Where available, (RV dealers?)

Thanks, Ornery
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornery View Post
Can you expand on this RV UV roof protector? What Brand, Where available, (RV dealers?)

Thanks, Ornery
Dicor Roof-Gard RV Rubber Roof UV Protectant, Gallon - Arizona RV Parts Center

I bought a gallon several years ago and still have PLENTY left!

Tags
eternabond, roo, roof