Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

Captain's Chair Upgrade for Forester 2251S w/ Ford E450 Chassis

I would like to change out the driver and passenger chairs in our motor home, however, I am learning that that is easier said than done... I found a chair manufacturer in this forum and believe I have the right chairs chosen, but how do I MAKE SURE that the chairs will fit our RV? Its a bit tight inside this Ford... and the chairs are very expensive. (I don't imagine the return policy is too favorable on these babies... lol)

I sure could use some advice! Thanks ahead of time!
Veitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 01:52 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Are you just trying to change out to leather, or a complete design change?
Are yours presently swivel seats or not?
Maybe your chair manufacturer can see your existing seats in a motorhome close to his location to see if there’s a seat difference issue for him.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:32 AM   #3

Thanks so much for your response, Ken and Terry. We are new to RV'ing and our motorhome's seats too uncomfortable for long distance trips. 2 days on the road means 5 days in bed with my husband's back. Ugh...

So, we are looking for a complete design change. My husband needs more support. We'd like to add more seat bottom and back support, thicker and more resilient foam and manual lumbar adjustment. Currently, our seats are not swivel, which is fine on the driver's side (there is not enough space), however it would be nice if the passenger seat swiveled.

Is there another chair manufacturer that you might recommend?
Old 04-19-2021, 09:51 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Some options for you:

https://shop4seats.com/

https://www.braddandhall.com/product...idCategory=122

https://www.braddandhall.com/product...idCategory=118

Hope this helps. I know back pain all too well.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the links, Just Ducky. I'll check them out this week and let you know how it goes. (Good luck with your back.)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:28 PM   #6

Captain's Chair Upgrade for Forester 2251S w/ Ford E450 Chassis

We researched the same and found none of the manufactures offered any Class C seats that mount to the stock Ford base plate. I did call a local upholstery and inquired about getting the stock seats redone with better foam and support. That was doable and something I may do this off season.
avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #7

Have you looked at the power drivers seat?
janice parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:35 PM   #8
Have Camera will Travel

I don't like the seats either but it was as much the height as the seat itself. I cut some spacers out of 1/2" aluminum and placed them under the seat frame. One of the studs had just enough thread but the others were all good. It certainly helped not having my knees bent. I may add a thinner spacer between the seat and the frame.
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #9

https://www.discountvantruck.com/rvh...tureAlante.htm
These seats can be customized to include messager, heater, lumbar, and power movement.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #10

Driver's Chair

Many thanks for the link you have posted. I've been looking for a replacement driver's chair for our 2015 Sunseeker for a long time and almost gave up. We don't take a lot of long trips because of the fatigue factor from the current chair. I'm hoping we can get something going with this new link. (At least new to me). I'll for sure post something if we get this problem solved.
Howy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:28 PM   #11

They are located in Lake Havasu Az. It might be worth a trip to them to find the right seat for you. Seems like you could try out all their seats. Better than ordering one and finding it’s not the right one. Between shipping and return shipping and all that headache. Hope they can get you the comfy seat you need.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #12

A long trip

Hmmm....great advice, but it's a long way to Lake Havasu from eastern Virginia! It still looks like the most promising site for our needs. Thanks.
Howy2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #13

Virginia to Az is too far in a seat that’s uncomfortable. Maybe a phone call to them explaining your needs will get you the right seat.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:25 AM   #14

Has anyone just added any seat cushions or add on seat covers with cushioning they enjoy? I would whole heartedly agree that the seats are less than comfortable for a day drive.

John
aeguy010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #15

My 2017 has the most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat in . two hours and have to get out and walk around to continue. No seat cushion has helped ( I'm a big person 6"4" and 250 lbs ) . Being in Az. I will now make my next trip to lake Havasu to get a new seat so I can enjoy the whole trip. The factory seats are the worst seats I've owned in 5 MHs !

RZR- XP1000
DaveCinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 09:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCinda View Post
My 2017 has the most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat in . two hours and have to get out and walk around to continue. No seat cushion has helped ( I'm a big person 6"4" and 250 lbs ) . Being in Az. I will now make my next trip to lake Havasu to get a new seat so I can enjoy the whole trip. The factory seats are the worst seats I've owned in 5 MHs !
Please give us an update if you find a seat that works for you.

Tags
e450, ford, forester, upgrade