Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #1

Carbon Monoxide Alarm during Generator Use

While using the generator gas fumes can be smelled from inside the coach. After some time, (maybe 10 min) the carbon monoxide detector goes off. I found the generator exhaust points down towards the ground under the coach. Anyone else having these problems and come up with a solution that would allow generator use? There could be some serious consequences using the generator.
mainer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:15 PM   #2
Site Team

It's always nice if you put the RV you have either in the post or in your sig so that we don't have to go look at what you have.

Most people have an external exhaust pipe that routes the generator exhaust up the side of the RV. That will prevent the fumes from entering the RV. A popular aftermarket system is the Camco Genturi system.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #3

I have the same issue with my 5th wheel. The exhaust is under my bedroom and that freaks me out. I stopped using he generator as a result and primarily go to full hookup locations....however that should not be the solution.

Here is the link to the Genturi mentioned previously. I have not bought one yet.....

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gen-Tur.../dp/B000BUU5XG

2014 Spartan 1032
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4WD/Duramax
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It's always nice if you put the RV you have either in the post or in your sig so that we don't have to go look at what you have.

Most people have an external exhaust pipe that routes the generator exhaust up the side of the RV. That will prevent the fumes from entering the RV. A popular aftermarket system is the Camco Genturi system.
Sorry, I thought I was posting in the Forest River "Forester" Class C section. I have a Forester 2861DS.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainer30 View Post
Sorry, I thought I was posting in the Forest River "Forester" Class C section. I have a Forester 2861DS.
He also had year, brand and model in his profile.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #6

Quote:
As far as I can see you are posting in the Forester Class C section.

Let me share some information please.

1. You generator should have an exhaust pipe that aims the exhaust away from the rv. If it is just blowing straight down, not only will CO surround your rv, if parked on dry grass it can start a fire.
Even with the correct exhaust system, if possible, you should always park so the wind will help carry the fumes away rather than toward the rv.

Unfortunately, Forest River chose to install our generator in a compartment below the slide-out in a way that the exhaust pipe doesn't clear the edge of the vehicle when the slide is open.

2. My generator owners manual has 2 warnings:

Do not sleep while operating the generator. Personally, I think if you have a working CO alarm it would be okay but my wife and I will not both sleep while it's running.

Adding equipment like the Genturi is not recommended as it can affect exhaust operation and back pressure.

2017 Forester 3051S / Savannah GA
Old 07-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netgain View Post
As far as I can see you are posting in the Forester Class C section.

Let me share some information please.

1. You generator should have an exhaust pipe that aims the exhaust away from the rv. If it is just blowing straight down, not only will CO surround your rv, if parked on dry grass it can start a fire.
Even with the correct exhaust system, if possible, you should always park so the wind will help carry the fumes away rather than toward the rv.

Unfortunately, Forest River chose to install our generator in a compartment below the slide-out in a way that the exhaust pipe doesn't clear the edge of the vehicle when the slide is open.

2. My generator owners manual has 2 warnings:

Do not sleep while operating the generator. Personally, I think if you have a working CO alarm it would be okay but my wife and I will not both sleep while it's running.

Adding equipment like the Genturi is not recommended as it can affect exhaust operation and back pressure.

I attached a couple pictures of mine. The 2nd picture shows the pipe directing the exhaust to the ground. I would have thought your gen exhaust was similar to mine. My generator is also under the slide-out, but exhausting straight down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator1.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	178127   Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator3.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	178128  
Old 07-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #8

You are missing the exhaust pipe which runs under the generator toward the front and beyond the side of the coach. Either it was not installed or fell off. Here is a picture of my 2861ds exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_062731.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	178140   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180703_062714 (1).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	178141  
HopHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #9

X2!! Mine looks just like HopHed's. Mainer30, you definitely need to get that taken care of!! Glad your alarm made you aware before there were deadly consequences!

Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Empty Nesters

X3.
My Sunseeker 2250 has the exhaust extend at least 8 inches past the side of the coach on the drivers side. I actually hit a construction cone in Oregon when they had the lanes extremely tight for road work!
Old 07-03-2018, 05:32 PM   #11

Quote:

A properly installed Genturi system can't increase back pressure. The hot exhaust gas is directed into a larger diameter pipe and this creates venturi effect that sends both the hot exhaust and cool air that is sucked in upward where it dissipates above the RV.

works pretty much the same way as the vent pipe above a gas water heater.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
A properly installed Genturi system can't increase back pressure. The hot exhaust gas is directed into a larger diameter pipe and this creates venturi effect that sends both the hot exhaust and cool air that is sucked in upward where it dissipates above the RV.

works pretty much the same way as the vent pipe above a gas water heater.
I agree... just stating what I read in one of my generator manuals. I don't know why they would care except just to cover any possible liability.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #13

Quote:
I agree... just stating what I read in one of my generator manuals. I don't know why they would care except just to cover any possible liability.
Their concern is that way too many people just add more and more exhaust pipe of the same diameter.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Your post's show up for everyone and if we don't look we don't know what it is. put the info in your signature line and it will show up every time. I wish that was somehow a mandatory requirement.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Your post's show up for everyone and if we don't look we don't know what it is. put the info in your signature line and it will show up every time. I wish that was somehow a mandatory requirement.

Most of the time I use the Tapatalk app on an IPad or phone and signatures are disabled by the admins, when checking new posts I have to make sure what forum its in.
Tombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 PM   #16

Forest river replaced the exhaust pipe for the generator on my 2011 Georgetown because it directed the exhaust to the side of the rig which was under the slide when it was open. Even with the slide closed, I was getting exhaust into the rig which set off the CO alarm. The original placement of the exhaust pipe met RVIA standards so there was nothing "wrong" with it.

The replacement pipe exits the underside at the back end of the slide, with the exhaust gasses headed away and to the rear of the rig. This completely solved the alarm problems.

I'm very glad that I had this fix done years ago. Now, when I travel in the rv, I either have to stay in a location with an electric hookup or run the generator all night. Medical equipment, drawing more power than I have available from the house batteries, has forced this change.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #17

Carbon Monoxide Alarm during Generator Use

From a Cummins presentation... one section showing undesirable exhaust modifications. https://cumminsengines.com/uploads/d...r_2017_002.pdf
sask is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator