Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 10:00 AM   #1

Catalytic Converter Protective Devices

There has been a lot of discussion about converter thefts and devices to deter theft. I was wondering if anyone has evidence that one of these protective devices actually worked other than your converter is still attached to your RV. As an example, maybe there was evidence that someone tried to circumvent the device somehow but failed. I wish I could keep my motor home at the house but I can't, so short of high priced indoor storage some type of cat device is the next step. Thoughts?
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:54 PM   #2

While I’m not aware of how it relates to real-world deterrence, many law enforcement agencies and service clubs are hosting “etch-athon‘s” where you’re welcome to bring your vehicle and have a volunteer engrave that vehicle’s VIN number onto the catalytic converter housing.

It’s typically free, and could possibly bring some peace of mind while you consider other options.

As the volunteers sometimes put the vehicles on ramps, it would probably be a good idea to contact the event organizer in advance to confirm they’re equipped or willing to get beneath your motorhome.

If you happen to have, or can borrow a quality engraving tool, it may not be a bad DIY effort?

Best wishes, and please let us know what you find, here or in a more topical thread not limited to Forrester‘s or Sunseeker‘s
Old 01-17-2022, 10:59 AM   #3

I know you've asked for real life experience, but I'm still waiting for the insurance to be sorted out for my cat theft from several weeks ago.

In the meantime, I purchased the Cat Strap (alleges to make it much more difficult to cut off so the thief will hopefully go to the next one) and accompanying alarm (hopefully the 130 dB alarm blasting under the rig will encourage the thief to move to the next one).

After the new cat's on, I will be installing this along with cross my fingers. I'll post something after it's on.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:38 AM   #4

How would having the converter etched with the VIN have any affect on a thief , the buyer is also a crook and would not care .
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
As an example, maybe there was evidence that someone tried to circumvent the device somehow but failed. I wish I could keep my motor home at the house but I can't, so short of high priced indoor storage some type of cat device is the next step. Thoughts?
ANYTHING, anything that makes your CAT a little harder to steal then the guy next to you is better then nothing...

On a high-sitting Toyota I used to own, I tightly wrapped the pipes leading up to and away from the cat with 3/16" aircraft cable from HDepot, then clamped as many muffler clamps as I could over the cable and pipes to cause a physical barrier from getting to the pipe close to the CAT... I also wrapped some of that cable around various points on the frame close to the pipes making it more difficult to remove the CAT and pipes without even more cutting.

I figured if instead of having to make two cuts they had to make 4 or 6 more difficult cuts then they would look elsewhere... and maybe they did cuase I never lost my CAT and other Toyotas that parked near me DID.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:56 PM   #6

Now you guys have me thinking about some concertina wire wrap and a bed of cholla stems.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:57 PM   #7

Welding Shop Cage!

The best deterrent I've seen against catalytic theft was an expanded metal cage with angle iron frame a weld shop made for a box truck. It's been 6 - 7 years in use and is parked in an isolated parking lot at night with no security system and no cameras, and the cat is still installed. I think my wife's company paid about $1,000 for the cage, but this was after they lost a cat and just the cat replacement cost them $3,200 - so probably well worth it.
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:08 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
My motorhome was hit in late December, Allstate just approved and now the Ford dealer is trying to get a catalytic converter for a 2006 E450. Ford is out and has no production date, the aftermarket one is in short supply.

I was looking at a CatClamp (cable lock) but they are sold out for a while.

I did pick up a small 125db motion alarm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09JNHM6W5...roduct_details

I plan to power it off a USB charger (and solar) in the storage lot. Mounting it behind the battery box. Any motion under the motorhome should be alarming.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:23 PM   #9

So will the motion sensor get activated if a cat or a raccoon crawls under your RV?
Old 01-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
So will the motion sensor get activated if a cat or a raccoon crawls under your RV?
I would think so. Because it's in a storage yard, I don't see it as a problem. It might even keep raccoon from trying to find a warm home.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
I would think so. Because it's in a storage yard, I don't see it as a problem. It might even keep raccoon from trying to find a warm home.
If nobody is in the storage lot to hear the alarm... then what?

6 of 12 special needs school buses were hit the last weekend evening in the Cincinnati area... and although there is published video footage, the thieves had all night to do their dirty work... because nobody responded to any alarms, if any.

a hoodie is all you need to defeat a camera image... a hammer might take care of a speaker making noise...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 06:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
If nobody is in the storage lot to hear the alarm... then what?

6 of 12 special needs school buses were hit the last weekend evening in the Cincinnati area... and although there is published video footage, the thieves had all night to do their dirty work... because nobody responded to any alarms, if any.

a hoodie is all you need to defeat a camera image... a hammer might take care of a speaker making noise...
All fine, please provided any valuable alternatives.
Old 01-20-2022, 06:45 PM   #13

I started this thread looking for thoughts on how the devices on the market work, thankfully there isn't anything that proves the available devices are a waste of money. Thanks for everybody that takes this issue seriously and give useful feedback, it's helpful in my opinion..
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:37 PM   #14

After mine was stolen and replaced I bought a Catstrap and dedicated alarm. Haven’t installed it and don’t plan to. A LEO friend of mine pointed out that a BG is likely to get the converter anyway and is even more likely to be annoyed and do some other damage whilst under there. Cut brake lines, wiring harness or even a frame section for example. My thief was skilled and considerate enough that replacement was a simple bolt on operation. I got over it.

Tags
cat, converter