Old 08-04-2020, 10:30 PM   #1

Change tow hitch?

I own a 2016 Sunseeker 2250SLE on an E350 chassis with the 6.8L V10. I want to tow a 2014 Toyota Sienna which weights approx 4500lbs. With the weight of the tow dolly I will definitely be pushing the 5000lbs rated tow hitch. Should I change the hitch with a higher rated hitch?
lvoorhees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Ambassador Member

Toad Load

Your toad weight will prevent you from using your toad to transport ďstuffĒ. So no bike rack, kayaks, Amelda Marcos shoe collection etc. The 5,000 lb rating is what your hitch can haul. I would not be concerned unless you are going to exceed 5k.
No PMís.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #3

Tow dolly? As in two wheels down towing. Actually, the overall result is the same as 4 wheel down towing. Minimal tongue weight. If its the Ford receiver, it’s likely marked 5000# Max trailer weight carrying. However, it will be marked different if a WDH is used, mine is 11600# Max trailer weight.
Almost all the towed weight is on the toad axles. The receiver can handle it, since it doesn’t rip out at well over 11600#.
Receiver hitch limits are in part predicated on that tongue weight IS 10% of the towed weight. And that receiver can only hang 500# on a platform stuck in it. But, as mentioned above, it can pull a lot more than 5000#.
Do you have a picture of the receiver weight sticker to confirm?
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #4

Currently no plans on using my toad to transport items. I am the 2nd owner of this motor home, but believe the hitch came already installed. I guess it could've been installed by Forest River.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	314.5 KB
ID:	235842  
Old 08-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #5
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerweps View Post
Tow dolly? As in two wheels down towing. Actually, the overall result is the same as 4 wheel down towing. Minimal tongue weight. If its the Ford receiver, itís likely marked 5000# Max trailer weight carrying. However, it will be marked different if a WDH is used, mine is 11600# Max trailer weight.
Almost all the towed weight is on the toad axles. The receiver can handle it, since it doesnít rip out at well over 11600#.
Receiver hitch limits are in part predicated on that tongue weight IS 10% of the towed weight. And that receiver can only hang 500# on a platform stuck in it. But, as mentioned above, it can pull a lot more than 5000#.
Do you have a picture of the receiver weight sticker to confirm?
I have the same brand receiver on my Forester. As you see below it can pull 7500 pounds with 500 or 750 pounds tongue weight.

There are a lot more factors involved in determining max PULLING weight. Maybe this hitch can pull 10,000 pounds but youíll be over max combined weight. Or, maybe itís a transmission or engine heat issue. Think back to the early Rams with the EcoDiesel. It was the exact same truck as a hemi unit but its trailer weight limit was almost 2,000 pounds less. Had nothing to do with the hitch...it was a temperature issue with the turbo intercooler.

The OP wants to know if itís okay to pull 4,500 pounds. Simple
Answer is yes, every day, all day forever.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #6

On a slightly unrelated note - Unlike many other hitches that have permanent (stamped in the metal) or semi-permanent (weatherproof sticker) markings, these Buyers products have labels that eventually deteriorate. While I have no doubt the hitch will perform at the rated values, Buyers should have spent an extra few cents on the labels...

Back on topic - if your pull weight is within the range of the posted values, then you are fine.

As other have stated: Note that a hitch rating is not the end-all rating, as the chassis has a tow rating as well. If the chassis is limited to 500/5000, then it wouldn't do any good to install a 750/7500 hitch, as you would then be exceeding the chassis ratings if you have a trailer/toad weight that exceeds the chassis rating.

I have a similar setup - we have the 500/5000 Buyers on our 2250 Sunseeker/Chevy, and my toad (2012 GMC Canyon 4WD crew cab) including the canopy & hitch gear is in the 4500 lb range. It tows w/o issue.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #7

Thanks emm-dee and brucemc!
According to the ford manual (E350 cutaway w/6.8L dual rear wheel) the GCWR is 18500 and the GVWR is 12500lbs, so even if I loaded the motorhome to the max 12500lbs I should still be able to pull 6000lbs. I have a weight station close by to confirm weights, but my main concern was getting close to the weight limit printed on the hitch.
Attached Images

Tags
hitch