Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #21

I'll comment on the suspension changes mentioned in post #18 , but I realize it is not to the main focus of this thread. I bought a 2019 Sunseeker which had stock shocks and rear sway bar. I drove it that way some, then installed Bistein shocks and Hellwig rear swaybar. I recommend those items but they were, in my opinion, a minor improvement. They are certainly not night and day improvement.

In any event the recent defeaturing of the Forester line really has nothing to do with the chassis. Forester River is basically in charge of building the house of the RV, and they are cheapening the product by removing features as described earlier in this thread.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #22
Certified Curmudgeon

Apples

Avengers,
Thanks for the background information. It really adds credibility to your comparison knowing that you have direct experience to draw on.

I am not interested in replacing my unit which is discontinued :-( however I am very interested in the suspension upgrades that delivered your improved ride.
My V-10 has the 5star so the difference in power is negligible. Noise/heat is not an issue for the hard of hearing Florida geezers.
Old 11-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I'll comment on the suspension changes mentioned in post #18 , but I realize it is not to the main focus of this thread. I bought a 2019 Sunseeker which had stock shocks and rear sway bar. I drove it that way some, then installed Bistein shocks and Hellwig rear swaybar. I recommend those items but they were, in my opinion, a minor improvement. They are certainly not night and day improvement.

In any event the recent defeaturing of the Forester line really has nothing to do with the chassis. Forester River is basically in charge of building the house of the RV, and they are cheapening the product by removing features as described earlier in this thread.

Does your sun seeker have air bags too? Not sure if that makes a difference. I installed a steering stabilizer on my 2017 because of the sway and was prepared to do the same with the new unit but it drives so nicely, much quieter in side and bumps/rattles are night and day.
avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengers View Post
Does your sun seeker have air bags too? Not sure if that makes a difference. I installed a steering stabilizer on my 2017 because of the sway and was prepared to do the same with the new unit but it drives so nicely, much quieter in side and bumps/rattles are night and day.
I did also install a SafeTPlus steering stabilizer on our Sunseeker. The Sunseeker did come from the factory with Firestone RideRite air bag springs on the rear axle. I experimented with different pressures, and found the results were stiff ride, or very stiff ride. I installed the AirLift WirelessOne air compressor and I can change the bag air pressure on the fly while driving from the dashboard wireless control. I generally run just 20 PSI in the bags, but a little more if I am running up towards 9000 pounds on the 9600 pound rated rear axle.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:07 AM   #25

I think this may be a new 2021 3011 with the changes. Trim work looks different around bay doors, rear change with bumper etc and what’s up with the ugly cheap looking white wheels??? I’ve seen some dealers “mix and match” photos so just going by what was on their post. So don’t shoot the messenger. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	242620Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0435.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	242621
Old 11-07-2020, 07:43 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by itgoes211 View Post
I think this may be a new 2021 3011 with the changes. Trim work looks different around bay doors, rear change with bumper etc and what’s up with the ugly cheap looking white wheels??? I’ve seen some dealers “mix and match” photos so just going by what was on their post. So don’t shoot the messenger. Attachment 242620Attachment 242621
Well, if this is indeed the new model, it would be a step in the wrong direction. Making the furnace and water heater panels black, and trimming the storage doors in black is exactly the opposite of what I would want to see. This makes the exterior look all choppy and busy (and ugly). As for the rear bumper, the license plate and low mounted rear taillights are less visible and could be easily obscured by bicycle racks and cargo carriers. Has the sewer hose storage location been moved, or is it now gone?
Old 11-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #27
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Well, if this is indeed the new model, it would be a step in the wrong direction. As for the rear bumper, the license plate and low mounted rear taillights are less visible and could be easily obscured by bicycle racks and cargo carriers.
The lights being as low as they are on our Sunseeker 2430S, was the principal reason I installed higher lighting on my cargo box. Granted they are on my cargo box, but it will now be the way we travel 99% of the time.

Before the cargo box addition, I was going to mount the same LED strips at about the same height vertically, right alongside the back wall attachment seam, on the actual back wall of the motorhome for added visibility.

If I am towing, my toad’s lighting system is even higher than the motorhome.

Just my $0.02.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF326DF1-BAA9-4C65-B3F5-2C67AD82456E.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	398.1 KB
ID:	242628   Click image for larger version

Name:	E6249D22-94F1-4544-B0A4-DA31248C9C10.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	242629  

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengers View Post
We had a 2017 2861 that was totaled. We loved that unit and decided to replace it with the same. Happy we got the touch screen in the new one, having access via Bluetooth is a huge advantage.

The outdoor kitchen really makes the unit for us, especially with the induction cook top. With the sink and frig outside we can do most of our cooking and prep outside. The awning being on that side was a good choice too, completely covers the cooking area.

We also have the dual AC units. We haven’t had enough heat to say how big the difference will be but it does cool down faster.

Fit and finish is about the same. The fabric and cushions on the sofa are nicer. Though we replaced the sofa with recliners. Jury’s out on the micro/convention placement, It does work well though.

The Sony head unit is perfect if you like to connect your phone via apple/android. The cameras appear better and the passing alerts work well too. There is new side mirrors with built in signals. There dash layout and information center is a nice addition. There is also tire pressure monitoring.

The new flooring material and lighter cabinets really brighten up the space and look good.

There was a comment about the frig and impact on the shower space, what they did is moved the cabinet towards the back about 2”. So when you open the bathroom door to the magnet it’s at a bit of an angle. Shower space is still the same. The frig itself cools down fast and is much larger inside.

Here is a pic of the new recliners and upgraded faucet. Attachment 242574Attachment 242576

Let me know if there are any other questions.

Did you replace the recliners after purchase or did they also switch the recliner supplier to the Thomas Payne?
Old 11-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Did you replace the recliners after purchase or did they also switch the recliner supplier to the Thomas Payne?
i changed my jack knife sofa to recliners. those recliners look at lot like my RecPros

Bill
2005gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #30

So now no stainless wheel covers, cargo doors outlined in black and tail lights in the bumper? Is FR trying to kill Forester? My earlier post listed all the cheapen and take-away items. Just can't believe even more horrible things done to this RV.
Old 11-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
So now no stainless wheel covers, cargo doors outlined in black and tail lights in the bumper? Is FR trying to kill Forester? My earlier post listed all the cheapen and take-away items. Just can't believe even more horrible things done to this RV.
A Forest River rep told me:

"The new fiberglass bumper was for a better look. We were having a hard time getting the chrome rims so we are having the dealers supply and install the chrome rims."
Patten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:05 PM   #32

Here is the updated list I've been able to capture so far...

2021 Forester Classic Changes:
- 6.8L Triton V10 replaced with 7.3 V8 engine
- One Control(Lippert Multi Plex) discontinued. Not replaced with Firefly in Forester Classic. Forester Classic will use standard Convenience Center.
- Solid surface countertop have been replaced with Vinyl Pressed countertop
- No Cedar-lined closets
- No Carbon fiber dash
- Comforter/pillow shams: Same Shams and pillows as before, just different fabric to go with the new Grey fabrics.
- Paint options: Standard, Midnight Blue, Diablo Red (confirmed with Kary). Standard option graphics are the same except some white trim pieces are now black to avoid changing color (cargo doors).
- The color of the MCD shade has changed to grey color to go with new grey cab interiors.
- Small closet in entryway replaced with coat hooks.
- Automatic Leveling System changed to product from Equalizer Systems

Notes:
- Dash-mounted touchscreen is a Sony with Apple Carplay/Android play and 8” touchscreen.
- Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning are only included on the Transit model.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patten View Post
A Forest River rep told me:

"The new fiberglass bumper was for a better look. We were having a hard time getting the chrome rims so we are having the dealers supply and install the chrome rims."
Years ago in the '70, there was a lot of rear taillights in bumpers and as you notice today they don't do that because it is harder to see. Also there is a reason for the third brake light. They are not on any RVs I see today. People tend to drive closer and when they notice the bumper lights, it may be too late. And then if people have bikes, tow a micro trailer, it is even more difficult to see. Putting the lights in the bumper is just a plain bad idea. Those that think it isn't, may regret it when they get rear-ended. And if that happens, you will probably wait months to get fixed or totaled. You won't like the limited replacements dealers have on the lot or the disappearing discounts and high prices.

Everyone drive carefully. A crash may wipe out a whole camping season!
Old 11-11-2020, 10:44 PM   #34

Be wary of the 2021 Forester brochure, https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...erbrochure.pdf. I noted three discrepancies and there could be more. I always figure when I see a few mistakes, everything in the brochure then becomes suspect and needs to be verified.

Under the page 4 top features listing for the Classic Forester, the brochure lists cab magnetic blackout privacy shades, but in the standard/option feature list on the last page 12, it shows them standard only on MBS models, not Classic.

In the page 3 specs for LE models, the rear axle weight rating for Ford E-350 models is shown as 9600 pounds, but according to Ford specs in their 2021 E-series .pdf, the E-350 DRW rear axle spec is actually 8500 lb. When you add the CCC and the UVW for the E-350 models, the sums are weird numbers that don't add up to the GVWR like they do on E-450, MBS, and Chevy models.

On the page 11 Transit specs, the CCC and the UVW weights add up to the old 10,360 pound GVWR, but the GVWR is listed in the same chart as the new 2020 cutaway DRW model's 11,000 pound rating. The CCC is potentially higher than what the brochure says.

Ford specs for reference: https://www.fleet.ford.com/cmslibs/c...2020_ARLSD.pdf
Old 11-11-2020, 10:50 PM   #35

Quote:

I put them in myself. Wasn’t too difficult.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Be wary of the 2021 Forester brochure, https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...erbrochure.pdf. I noted three discrepancies and there could be more. I always figure when I see a few mistakes, everything in the brochure then becomes suspect and needs to be verified.

Under the page 4 top features listing for the Classic Forester, the brochure lists cab magnetic blackout privacy shades, but in the standard/option feature list on the last page 12, it shows them standard only on MBS models, not Classic.

In the page 3 specs for LE models, the rear axle weight rating for Ford E-350 models is shown as 9600 pounds, but according to Ford specs in their 2021 E-series .pdf, the E-350 DRW rear axle spec is actually 8500 lb. When you add the CCC and the UVW for the E-350 models, the sums are weird numbers that don't add up to the GVWR like they do on E-450, MBS, and Chevy models.

On the page 11 Transit specs, the CCC and the UVW weights add up to the old 10,360 pound GVWR, but the GVWR is listed in the same chart as the new 2020 cutaway DRW model's 11,000 pound rating. The CCC is potentially higher than what the brochure says.

Not sure if it has changed but we received the magnetic privacy shades in our classic.
Old 11-11-2020, 11:39 PM   #37

Quote:

Good catches on the brochure. Nothing that hasn't already been discussed, but in comparing the currently available 2020 vs 2021 brochures, I've noticed:

2020 vs 2021 Forester Brochure changes:
-"FR upgraded premium suspension system" renamed "EZ Ryde premium suspension system" for 2021. All descriptions and items appear identical.

-Removed from Classic Premium Camping Package:
- Smart phone in-coach remote system
- "Stainless steel" from microwave description
- Privacy front cab magnetic black out shades (but still listed in Classic Top Features section)
- Solid surface kitchen countertops

- Removed from Classic Top Features:
- ONEControl smart phone remote and monitor system
- "Stainless steel" from appliance description
- Solid surface kitchen countertops

- Paint colors do not reflect the new Midnight Blue and Diablo Red options
Old 11-12-2020, 09:01 AM   #38

From what I see they are cutting corners on some things but the price has gone up. I understand price increase, you will have that. But the combination doesn’t sit well with me.

Now I don’t want to be “that person”, but with all the changes, is it too much to ask the dealer to sign off on what I will get if I order and if there are changes I can either cancel my order with refund in deposit or we renegotiate price? I have ordered RV’s in the past and all I really had to worry about was having the as built sheet show options I ordered. Not what is standard. If I’m spending close to $100k there shouldn’t be surprises.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:45 AM   #39

After conversations with a FR rep at the factory, Kary-FR sales manager, and our salesperson we cancelled our order because we did not want to just take what they gave us. The dealership was great and they too were not aware of all these changes. We were still willing to take delivery if there was a price break, but the factory offered none.

Our new path will be to buy exactly the rig we see. We are willing to take our chances with scarce inventory, at least we will KNOW what we are paying for. This is our 1st RV and boy are we learning this is NOTHING like the car business. We have started to lean another direction towards Winnebago whom manufacturers most of their own parts.

We still LOVE the 3011 floor plan, but are worried about the quality. This is alot like buying a house---you can't get your heart too set on one thing. We are leaving our options open. When one opportunity falls through, there will be another better one along the way. That's what I tell myself anyway. I am sure many are happy with their FR rigs...it just wasn't turning out to be what we THOUGHT we ordered. Good Luck All!
Kjsbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjsbelle View Post
After conversations with a FR rep at the factory, Kary-FR sales manager, and our salesperson we cancelled our order because we did not want to just take what they gave us. The dealership was great and they too were not aware of all these changes. We were still willing to take delivery if there was a price break, but the factory offered none.

Our new path will be to buy exactly the rig we see. We are willing to take our chances with scarce inventory, at least we will KNOW what we are paying for. This is our 1st RV and boy are we learning this is NOTHING like the car business. We have started to lean another direction towards Winnebago whom manufacturers most of their own parts.

We still LOVE the 3011 floor plan, but are worried about the quality. This is alot like buying a house---you can't get your heart too set on one thing. We are leaving our options open. When one opportunity falls through, there will be another better one along the way. That's what I tell myself anyway. I am sure many are happy with their FR rigs...it just wasn't turning out to be what we THOUGHT we ordered. Good Luck All!
Good for you! It sounds like you are making careful, wise decisions. I hope you find the RV you’re looking for.

I did my shopping in 2018 and 2019. If I were shopping today, I doubt I would buy a Forester or Sunseeker, due to the recent changes in features.

Tags
forester