RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Changes on Forester for 2021

(I copied my reply over from the Thread--"Firefly instead of OneControl in 2021 Forester MBS")

IF you are planning to order a 2021 Forester--I hope you benefit from all that I continue to learn...MANY changes from what you see on the Forest River Forester brochure & RV Trader 2020/2021s for sale...

It used to be that Forester had many standard upgrades in finishes as compared to Sunseeker...but that seems to no longer be the case...As far as I can tell the solid surface kitchen counter & the touchscreen--(Now possibly Firefly instead of Onetouch) are all the features that remain to seperate the two sister brands...

We are beginning to find out a lot of changes that will be new to our 3011DSF that is on order...No cedar-lined closets, no carbon fiber wrapped dash, no skirt paint if you are not chosing FBP, still looking for an answer on the dash-mounted touchscreen--We have heard that has moved to the rear-view mirror, new PLAIN comforter/pillow shams...

We ordered a new 2021 due to low inventory, but now we are missing many of the key features that drew us to the Forester...and I WISH the FR website had provided this information prior to ordering.

The Forester website could really use an update on what the 2021's will look like...I have seen a lot of "hybrids" out there...seem to have 2019/2020 2020/2021 features combined.

I am now filled with anxiety on what we will actually get when it comes in Feb/Mar... The literature on the website doesnt even show the Midnight Blue FBP...I saw that on a Lazy Days ad for the 1st time last week. I know print literature is expensive...but can the website have some new pics...? Or the FR dedicated Forester/Sunseeker YouTube channel provide a walk-thru that isnt of a 2020? How are we supposed to know what we are actually ordering...?

I hope this info provides useful to others knowing what they will be ordering in advance. It was mentioned that the brochure may be updated in November, but that is too late for us---when production is 4 mos out.

I guess we will just get what we get. Knowing what I know now I may have just taken my chances buying off the lot in Spring and then I would KNOW what I am paying for.
Kjsbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #2

I wonder if FR has dumped the Furrion 12 volt refrigerator from the Forester/Sunseeker line.

We went with a Sunseeker to avoid the Forester's touch screen interface, as we preferred good old switches. I wonder if the touch screen thing still separates Forester from Sunseeker.

We ordered in 2019, and like you, we were concerned that we might get undesirable changes by the time it was delivered. They called ours a 2020 by the time it was built, but fortunately FR had not yet actually implemented the changes for model year 2020. That was good for us, as we disliked many of the changes that came in 2020.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:46 PM   #3

according to the original thread I mentioned---it is still a touchscreen but now Firefly rather than Lippert...Which is supposed to be an upgrade, but this 2021 MBS owner had trouble syncing for the phone interface...
Old 10-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Forester 2021 Classic changes

we have made some changes on the new 2021 product for Forester classic. we are working now on updating lit for all the changes. if you go to our YouTube FR motorized Channel you can see many of the changes. We really haven't made too many.

https://www.youtube.com/forestrivermotorized

We are no longer installing the Carbon fiber dash, Cedar lined Closets, Multi Plex system or solid surface countertops in the kitchen.

Attached is the rendering of the New Midnight Blue paint job as well as an actual picture of the New Diablo Red
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Midnight Blue Paint Codes.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	242102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diablo Red full paint.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	242103  
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by karykatz View Post
we have made some changes on the new 2021 product for Forester classic. we are working now on updating lit for all the changes. if you go to our YouTube FR motorized Channel you can see many of the changes. We really haven't made too many.

https://www.youtube.com/forestrivermotorized

We are no longer installing the Carbon fiber dash, Cedar lined Closets, Multi Plex system or solid surface countertops in the kitchen.

Attached is the rendering of the New Midnight Blue paint job as well as an actual picture of the New Diablo Red

The straight lines are awesome finally no more swirls
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcbenny View Post
The straight lines are awesome finally no more swirls
Canít please everyone. I just showed the new graphics the wife. She said, ďI donít like it. I like the swirlsĒ.

I find the rear pattern rather boring, with just the straight bands of colors.

But, itís probably time for a change.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #7

Changes to Forester compared to 2019 model

I may not have this perfect as I'm taking it from the 2021 model pictures on the Forester website and pictures also from Lazy Days. To me there is a lot not to like. I pray if my 2019 has to be replaced, it may be a used 2019 model. Things that have cheapen on the 2861, yet with a higher price:

Outside skirt paint is not offered anymore from 2020 on; solid surface countertop gone, one picture shows a wireless phone charger mounted inches from the kitchen sink bowl (just where I want to have my phone located) No One Control touchscreen (love it or hate it, but it has it's neat factor) and does it's replacement Firefly work with a smartphone and also a duplicate touchscreen in bedroom?; Comforter and pillow shams, and window treatments look overly plain, no cedar in closets; oven gone with micro there now (way to low); 12 v refrigerator that will eat up batteries in about a day; shower sidelight gone that may make shower area even smaller to accommodate 12 v refrigerator space; no more carbon dash; a goofy screen mounted out from the dash; (bump or hook anyone?) Screen covers up some of the slot area that fit my walkie talkies perfectly wife used in positioning the rig; Couch and dining seat covering look cheap compared to 2019 model; 2021model displayed by Lazy Days shows white cream cabinetry that may look dirty quicker from road dust and touching and harder to touch up nicks. These are improvements over the 2019 model? Yuk!
Old 10-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2019 View Post
I may not have this perfect as I'm taking it from the 2021 model pictures on the Forester website and pictures also from Lazy Days. To me there is a lot not to like. I pray if my 2019 has to be replaced, it may be a used 2019 model. Things that have cheapen on the 2861, yet with a higher price:

Outside skirt paint is not offered anymore from 2020 on; solid surface countertop gone, one picture shows a wireless phone charger mounted inches from the kitchen sink bowl (just where I want to have my phone located) No One Control touchscreen (love it or hate it, but it has it's neat factor) and does it's replacement Firefly work with a smartphone and also a duplicate touchscreen in bedroom?; Comforter and pillow shams, and window treatments look overly plain, no cedar in closets; oven gone with micro there now (way to low); 12 v refrigerator that will eat up batteries in about a day; shower sidelight gone that may make shower area even smaller to accommodate 12 v refrigerator space; no more carbon dash; a goofy screen mounted out from the dash; (bump or hook anyone?) Screen covers up some of the slot area that fit my walkie talkies perfectly wife used in positioning the rig; Couch and dining seat covering look cheap compared to 2019 model; 2021model displayed by Lazy Days shows white cream cabinetry that may look dirty quicker from road dust and touching and harder to touch up nicks. These are improvements over the 2019 model? Yuk!
On 2020 Sunseeker, a few other things that got worse on our model after ours was built: range hood that vented outdoors disappeared, kitchen sink faucet is more cheaply made, number of lights in the ceiling reduced from 12 to only 7, house entertainment system no longer has a CD/DVD player. Forester for 2020 may have suffered the same losses. We are glad we bought before these features began disappearing.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:27 PM   #9

Here is the list I've been able to compile from this and other threads regarding 2021 models...

2021 Changes:
6.8L Triton V10 replaced with 7.3 V8 "Godzilla" engine
One Control (Lippert Multi Plex) replaced with Firefly
Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning included
No Solid surface countertop
No Cedar-lined closets
No Carbon fiber dash
No Skirt paint (if you are not choosing FBP)
Plain comforter/pillow shams
Paint: Standard, Midnight Blue, Diablo Red

Open questions:
1) Is anything changing with the dash-mounted touchscreen (includes Radio, Camera view, Apple/Android)?
2) We've seen the Midnight Blue and Diablo Red, is there any changes to the Standard?
3) Is there a 2nd Firefly touchscreen in the bedroom?
4) What brand/model is the Automatic Leveling System?
4) Anything else this list is missing?

@karykatz - Can you please confirm each of the changes and answer the open questions? Thanks for your help and guidance!!
Patten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:29 PM   #10

A few adjustments to my earlier post on the 2861DS to add: Another picture appears the shower footprint did not change; Outside awning position has shifted from covering the dining window (not covering dining window as before will add more heat inside that the awning provided. Who needs it over the large OS kitchen flip door?); Looked at two different sellers featuring the 2861DS and there is no touch screen control but just a Convenience Center with switches that doesn't cover all the info that the touch screen covered before - uses dumb lights for tank levels; didn't notice battery voltage reading, etc; No touch screen control in bedroom - just two switches; kitchen faucet is a cheaper model without the flex spring spout - now a fixed faucet; another contributor noted 5 less ceiling lights and no DVD player. Yet the price goes up and the cheapen changes are more than disappointing!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 7.50.58 PM.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	242196  
Old 10-29-2020, 10:20 PM   #11

I think the convenient center with switches is an upgrade. I have the touch screens in my 2019.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #12

Looks like the new brochure is available on the website. And the Firefly is only available on the MBS. The smart interface was a selling point for me.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:15 AM   #13

Yes. The Forester is now exactly like the Sunseeker except for the outside decal or FBP choices and the window valance choices. All of the other 11 standard upgrades/finishes that distinguished the Forester from the Sunseeker have been eliminated. They are the same 3010/3011 for all sister models. If you watch the YouTube channel they even duplicate the videos on features of the Sunseeker as Forester.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #14

I wonder if Forester and Sunseeker are now priced the same, since they have identical features.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #15

Yes. Instead of lowering the price of the Forester when they removed these additional features, FR has raised the price of the Sunseeker to match the Forester pricing. We have subsequently cancelled our order for the 3011DSF. We will be looking for either a used Forester that still has the features we wanted and thought we would be getting when we ordered new OR looking at another Make/Model entirely. Pretty disappointed in these changes. I wish everyone else the best!
Old 11-05-2020, 05:12 PM   #16
Kanadian Kamper

Iíve been TRYING to keep track here in this thread, but......

Is there really any need to continue to make Sunseekers AND Foresters?

Iím finding it difficult, if not impossible, to define the differences anymore.

Anyone else?

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S with Trekker cap
and only rarely pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:20 PM   #17

They are sister brands so that dealers near each other can both sell and not be in direct competition is the reason...In my market Camping World sells the Forester and all other dealers nearby sell Sunseekers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Iíve been TRYING to keep track here in this thread, but......

Is there really any need to continue to make Sunseekers AND Foresters?

Iím finding it difficult, if not impossible, to define the differences anymore.

Anyone else?
Old 11-05-2020, 11:39 PM   #18

We just picked up our 2861. It is a 2021 and must have been an early build. We don’t have the cedar lined closets but we have everything else. The touch control with the separate quick access switches when you enter and in the bedroom for light and slide control is great. The 12v frig is awesome! We camped a weekend, no power and the batteries did just find over night with the heater, frig and my cpap on the batteries, plenty of power left in the AM. We also got the solar package. We have the solid countertops and upgraded faucet. The new Sony head unit up front is a huge improvement with XM and apple car play. The induction cook top in the outside kitchen works perfectly.
The outside shower is in the dump compartment now, perfect for quick clean up.

The biggest improvement over the previous model is the V8 and suspension/bilstein upgrade. Both the ride and power are a HUGE improvement over the previous V10. No excessive heat or screaming engine going up grades. The power is smooth and available a cross the RPM range. The ride is much quieter and smoother, bumps are more controlled. The V8 sounds awesome too! Lol. They hit a home run!
avengers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 07:50 AM   #19
Ambassador Member

Pros and Cons

From reading this thread it sure appears that the bulk of the good changes are either directly from Ford or pertain to the shortcomings of the generic Ford chassis. The rest appears to be corrections to poor supplier products or efforts to bolster corporate profitability. YMMV

Avengers,
Thanks for the info on the 2861. That was my second choice floor plan due to the outside kitchen not being useful for me. Just curious as to which Forester/Sunseeker you had to make the comparison to pertaining to the V-10 vs V8 and suspension?

TIA
No PMís.
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #20

Changes on Forester for 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
From reading this thread it sure appears that the bulk of the good changes are either directly from Ford or pertain to the shortcomings of the generic Ford chassis. The rest appears to be corrections to poor supplier products or efforts to bolster corporate profitability. YMMV

Avengers,

Thanks for the info on the 2861. That was my second choice floor plan due to the outside kitchen not being useful for me. Just curious as to which Forester/Sunseeker you had to make the comparison to pertaining to the V-10 vs V8 and suspension?

TIA

We had a 2017 2861 that was totaled. We loved that unit and decided to replace it with the same. Happy we got the touch screen in the new one, having access via Bluetooth is a huge advantage.

The outdoor kitchen really makes the unit for us, especially with the induction cook top. With the sink and frig outside we can do most of our cooking and prep outside. The awning being on that side was a good choice too, completely covers the cooking area.

We also have the dual AC units. We havenít had enough heat to say how big the difference will be but it does cool down faster.

Fit and finish is about the same. The fabric and cushions on the sofa are nicer. Though we replaced the sofa with recliners. Juryís out on the micro/convention placement, It does work well though.

The Sony head unit is perfect if you like to connect your phone via apple/android. The cameras appear better and the passing alerts work well too. There is new side mirrors with built in signals. There dash layout and information center is a nice addition. There is also tire pressure monitoring.

The new flooring material and lighter cabinets really brighten up the space and look good.

There was a comment about the frig and impact on the shower space, what they did is moved the cabinet towards the back about 2Ē. So when you open the bathroom door to the magnet itís at a bit of an angle. Shower space is still the same. The frig itself cools down fast and is much larger inside.

Here is a pic of the new recliners and upgraded faucet. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5556.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	356.3 KB
ID:	242574Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4987.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	242576

Let me know if there are any other questions.
avengers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forester