Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #1

Charging batteries

Will the coach batteries charge if the master disconnect switch is turned OFF if plugged into shore cord 110v?
JWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #2

Mine don't.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
Site Team

If you turn the the battery disconnect switch ON, it prevents the battery from recharging, when plugged into shore power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If you turn the the battery disconnect switch ON, it prevents the battery from recharging, when plugged into shore power.
Huh? On my Georgetown.....using the OEM Battery disconnect switch....

With my digital meter, while plugged into shore power, battery disconnect switch in the ON position, my batteries read 13.6 to 13.7V.

With my digital meter, while plugged into shore power, battery disconnect switch in the OFF position, 48 hours later my batteries read 12.6V.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Huh? On my Georgetown.....using the OEM Battery disconnect switch....

With my digital meter, while plugged into shore power, battery disconnect switch in the ON position, my batteries read 13.6 to 13.7V.

With my digital meter, while plugged into shore power, battery disconnect switch in the OFF position, 48 hours later my batteries read 12.6V.

It only seems to make sense to have the disconnect switch in the on position when plugged into shore power. If nothing else is on inside it should recharge the batteries....but because I’m a newbie and this will be my first winter with my RV I’m open to all comments
Old 11-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Huh? On my Georgetown.....

There it is. You're both right by the definition and wording on the switch itself. If kenandterry have the standard GT battery disconnect illuminated bar switch it actually spells out what to do. If the battery disconnect on the other is just labeled "battery disconnect on/off" it is ambiguous to say the least and doesn't function as labeled. This ridiculous subject is covered in another recent thread without a resolution.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
There it is. You're both right by the definition and wording on the switch itself. If kenandterry have the standard GT battery disconnect illuminated bar switch it actually spells out what to do. If the battery disconnect on the other is just labeled "battery disconnect on/off" it is ambiguous to say the least and doesn't function as labeled. This ridiculous subject is covered in another recent thread without a resolution.

I don’t view it as a ridiculous subject...I want to make sure that I’m doing the right thing to protect my batteries and appreciate the information.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWallet View Post
I don’t view it as a ridiculous subject...I want to make sure that I’m doing the right thing to protect my batteries and appreciate the information.
Ridiculous subject is not a reference to your post wanting to know something it is a reference to the battery disconnect switch nomenclature battle that raises its ugly head occasionally. Your question was answered; don't disconnect the batteries when on shore power to keep the batteries charged. They won't charge if disconnected. Whatever the position of your switch is to not disconnect them is correct.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Ridiculous subject is not a reference to your post wanting to know something it is a reference to the battery disconnect switch nomenclature battle that raises its ugly head occasionally. Your question was answered; don't disconnect the batteries when on shore power to keep the batteries charged. They won't charge if disconnected. Whatever the position of your switch is to not disconnect them is correct.

Thanks....I plugged it in today..it’s been winterized and covered for a month and I just want to make sure that I get it right
Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 PM   #10

Charging

You want the battery switch on to charge batteries. Just check your battery water level ever month.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
You want the battery switch on to charge batteries. Just check your battery water level ever month.

Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWallet View Post
Will the coach batteries charge if the master disconnect switch is turned OFF if plugged into shore cord 110v?
Attached is a RV electrical schematic that is typical for many RV's and is how my 3011 is wired. You can see the (RED) path from the shore power connection does not go through the battery disconnect (PURPLE). In this scenario the batteries should charge regardless which position the battery disconnect is in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Electriclal Schematic 1.png
Views:	150
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	219888  

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Attached is a RV electrical schematic that is typical for many RV's and is how my 3011 is wired. You can see the (RED) path from the shore power connection does not go through the battery disconnect (PURPLE). In this scenario the batteries should charge regardless which position the battery disconnect is in.

Thanks! Makes sense.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by newRVer View Post
Batteries tend to slightly drain down when disconnect turned to off for a couple weeks. Other than removing neg. cable on batteries is there a better way to shut off batteries?
BEMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALLZITCH View Post
Batteries tend to slightly drain down when disconnect turned to off for a couple weeks. Other than removing neg. cable on batteries is there a better way to shut off batteries?
You can put a quick battery disconnect on the negative battery terminal, that way you don't have to remove the cable. There are several different types available.

Chuck & Lois
newRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #16

Yep, the terminology used is confusing. The switch SHOULD be labeled BATTERY ON or BATTERY OFF.

Interesting bit of trivia. On the Vengeance toy hauler I had if I had shore power hooked up and I disconnected the battery nothing appeared to happen. Alll the12 volt items ran off the converter output. The only thing the battery connect did was allow battery charging.

However, on the Forester while hooked up to shore power (or generator on line) if I disconnect the battery via the switch the entire 12 volt system shuts down. No lights, no televisions, no nothing. Air conditioner, microwave and other AC items continue to work. Maybe that's their way of telling me the battery is not charging.

Tags
batteries, charging