Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #1

Chevy Ford Sunseeker 2300

Hi,
I'm a newbie here. I'm ready to purchase a 2016 Sunseeker 2300 and have the option of buying one with the Chevy 4500 chassis or ordering one with the Ford 350 chassis. I've seen some of the postings discussing the pros and cons of each, but am looking for some real-world experiences similar to what I expect to encounter. Although I drove the Chevy and it seemed adequately powered, the drive was limited to flat land and no dinghy. I plan to tow a Chevy Sonic (a little less than 3,000 lbs.) and spend time in the mountains. I was wondering if any of the Chevy chassis owners would share their thoughts if they drive in the mountains and pull a dinghy. Do any owners of the Chevy wish they had gotten a Ford instead? The cheaper cost, extra cockpit room, and reputed 1-2 mpg advantage in gas mileage make me favor the Chevy, but I wonder if the lesser torque or some other negatives should change my mind. Is finding places to work on the Chevy an issue since most motorhomes are Fords? Also, I wonder if the gas mileage advantage would disappear and even favor the Ford if the Chevy has to work harder than the Ford when towing or climbing. The lower cargo carrying capacity of the Ford doesn't bother me since I will be the only occupant.
Thanks,
Roger
rogerwag53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #2

I don't tow. However, to me the Chevy I own is:

- more comfortable
- better visibility
- better fuel economy
- better ride and handling

I have nothing against Ford at all. Just my opinion. Love my Chevy 2300 and it has plenty of power even on some very steep terrain. I have not towed but have no fear of power when it comes time (given a reasonable TOAD).
Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
I don't tow. However, to me the Chevy I own is:

- more comfortable
- better visibility
- better fuel economy
- better ride and handling

I have nothing against Ford at all. Just my opinion. Love my Chevy 2300 and it has plenty of power even on some very steep terrain. I have not towed but have no fear of power when it comes time (given a reasonable TOAD).

x2. Lots of reserve power. Performs well in the Ozark mountains (my only mountain experience thus far). Excellent shifting, and tow/haul mode makes it even better on steep grades up or down. The 6 speed tranny is a gem.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #4

Assuming the two previous posts haven't driven a Ford chassis, I'd love to hear from someone that has actually driven both, otherwise there is no way to compare.
knockando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockando View Post
Assuming the two previous posts haven't driven a Ford chassis, I'd love to hear from someone that has actually driven both, otherwise there is no way to compare.
- For sure: I recommend driving both as well. Everyone is different.

- I have not driven the 2300 in a Ford Chassis. I sat in the Ford chassis and instantly didn't like the seat comfort, seat position or visibility with the dash configuration.

- I've gotten as high as 12.7 mpg and as low as 10.2 mpg. I average an easy at 11.7 mpg almost every trip through varied terrain. The power from the Chevy on a 4500 chassis was plenty for what I do. Even in the mountains.

- The ride and handling issues on the new Ford units has been beat to death on the forum although I don't think everyone has all the issues that were mentioned. Just something to consider.

Like I said, everyone is different and those were just my opinions. As a company I like Ford just as much as Chevy. Just giving my 2 cents.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:39 AM   #6

Thanks to all who replied.
Roger
rogerwag53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #7

I chose the Chevy (2251- similar size) 2015 chassis- 2016 box.
Drives and pulls good.
Only complaint I have is the steering is slow.
I think the Ford (used to own a big F150 4x4) has a lighter steer.
May try about 75-78 lbs n the front tires to lighten that up.
So far- I like it. 9.5-10 mpg so far- no pulling yet.
Pretty basic unit which is what I wanted.
No traction control. stability control, etc.
Just ABS for electronics.
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #8

I drive a 2010 E450 on a 32ft Sunseeker and have never driven the Chevy. I shop for a MH first and a chassis second.

Nice
- v10 power, which should tow better than v8 although I haven't towed yet
- Seats are extremely comfortable, IMO.
- Steering seems easy for a 32 ft rig but don't have anything to compare to. I can one hand it going down the interstate but will go 2 hands when getting passed by a large truck and/or high winds.

Bad
- I think people call it the Dog House but the big center console make it difficult to get out of the driver/passenger seats to the back of the coach. By no means impossible but just a little difficult.
- I like to put my foot down in the inside step sometimes but the door storage compartment completely fills this up, annoying.
- Maybe a little lower MPG but that is just from what I read.
- Driver seat position is restricted by the living room slide out, not sure in a Chevy

Other Observations
- I probably average around 10 mpg (8.2 - 11.5 on last trip to Black Hills) and would classify myself as an 'easy' driver. I don't floor it at a stop sign, I back off the speed on hills and try to keep RPM down.
- 65 mph cruise speed running around 2500 RPM
- Uphills around 55 mph it will jump between 3500-4000 RPM, you can really hear the engine speed up too
- Got above 4000 RPM in the Smokey Mtns a few times
- Regardless of RPM I have not noticed heat in the cab area and the temp gauge stays the same
Old 09-22-2015, 11:50 AM   #9

I've got a 2015 Forester 2301 - twin to the Sunseeker 2300, on a Chevy chassis and I love it. I just got back from a grand tour of Maine and it handled all the hills with no problem at all. You probably won't even notice a Sonic behind you. I'm thinking about getting a Chevy Spark or Fiat 500 for a toad for mine.

I picked the Chevy over the Ford as there feels like more leg room for the driver and passenger in the Chevy. Also I have a relative who's got a Class C with a Ford chassis and they complain about the noise and heat coming out of the doghouse. He's got an upscale brand motorhome so it's not a stripped down basic unit. Read up on Ford front end issues too...some people say it's not an issue and some do.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #10

I have a 2013 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy chassis and tow a 2007 Malibu LT. NO PROBLEMS. Have made a couple of trips to Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and the Blue Ridge Parkway towing the Malibu. About half of the 33k miles to date were towing. You will know the tow is behind you when climbing 7% grades, but I didn't have any Ford "C" chassis passing me with their toad either. I've had several "C's" and had to travel over 900 miles to find this one on a Chevy 4500 chassis. Ford chassis were all around. All the previous pro-Chevy posts are pretty much straight on. If you do get a 2300, either order it with a passenger swivel seat, or as I did, buy an after market swivel. Makes a huge difference being able to lounge inside. You can do a "2300" search and find other posts I've made about functional modifications to handle the corner bed.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #11

SunSeeker 3100SS E450 V10. 2012. Tow open car trailer and vintage car. Live in the north east. Arizona, Iowa, Florida, Colorado and every where in-between. Very close to 50000 miles. Bags in rear, sway bar in rear and panard bar in rear. Put Banks program in to change down shifting. Great package and MH. I have no complaints. Gets 8.5 plus mpg. And not afraid of passing trucks. Also had a proper front end alignment done.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #12

For what it's worth, if you want a Chevy buy it quick. There's another thread on the forum about no more Chevy vans coming off the assembly line this year.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...evy-91769.html

Skip & Deb
Old 09-22-2015, 07:55 PM   #13

You Chevy folks are makin' me feel bad. I have a 2300 on Ford Chassis. Never considered a Chevy because my late hubby (a top notch mechanic and auto electrician) was a strict Ford guy. ( and the price was great!) I'm happy with it but I don't tow, even tho I got a CRV so I could. A 2300 fits anywhere, don't usually need a car. I pretty much echo Knockando's comments. I imagine the pluses and minuses are pretty consistent. I expected better mileage but I don't have the skills he did to tweak the most out of the engine. You will like your 2300, regardless of the chassis. Not sure you can get the swivel front seat on a Ford C. I'm taking the uncomfortable dinette out in favor of a recliner.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #14

Quote:

Drove both the Ford and Chevy before purchasing the Chevy.

I've only shared the good experience I have had with the Chevy. Not saying anything negative about the Ford except the obvious lack of passenger leg room.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #15

Quote:
I've driven a similar size model (different brand RV) with a Ford chassis....I'll keep my Chevy. I'm not a Ford hater...I was an LEO for 40 years and every vehicle that my life depended on at work was spelled FORD running Goodyear tires. But I still like my Chevy better and I put Hankook tires on my personal vehicles!

Skip & Deb
Old 09-23-2015, 06:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiewaggie View Post
Not sure you can get the swivel front seat on a Ford C. I'm taking the uncomfortable dinette out in favor of a recliner.
We are ordering a 2290s ford (same length as 2300 but w/ dinette slide) w/ swivel pedestals and NO DINETTE) . Swivel pedestals are only on ford.
geeman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwag53 View Post
Hi,
I'm a newbie here. I'm ready to purchase a 2016 Sunseeker 2300 and have the option of buying one with the Chevy 4500 chassis or ordering one with the Ford 350 chassis. I've seen some of the postings discussing the pros and cons of each, but am looking for some real-world experiences similar to what I expect to encounter. Although I drove the Chevy and it seemed adequately powered, the drive was limited to flat land and no dinghy. I plan to tow a Chevy Sonic (a little less than 3,000 lbs.) and spend time in the mountains. I was wondering if any of the Chevy chassis owners would share their thoughts if they drive in the mountains and pull a dinghy. Do any owners of the Chevy wish they had gotten a Ford instead? The cheaper cost, extra cockpit room, and reputed 1-2 mpg advantage in gas mileage make me favor the Chevy, but I wonder if the lesser torque or some other negatives should change my mind. Is finding places to work on the Chevy an issue since most motorhomes are Fords? Also, I wonder if the gas mileage advantage would disappear and even favor the Ford if the Chevy has to work harder than the Ford when towing or climbing. The lower cargo carrying capacity of the Ford doesn't bother me since I will be the only occupant.
Thanks,
Roger
Is the Chevy 4500 & The Ford E350 the same size chassis ???
Our 2500TS,,, is on a E450 chassis !!!
Very happy with V10 power,,, MPH about 9,,, it's up from 8 !!!
But it has less than 4K miles on it !!!
My opinion would probably help much,,, because I am a Ford Guy !!!
Nice to know there is another Roger out there !!! LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #18

I thought I heard that F R was going to stop using the Chevy chassis ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #19

I was never a big Ford fan. But then we bought a 2013 Sunseeker 3170DS with the E450. To be honest, I really like it. The people we bought it from had only used it for some trips to Pismo out of the central San Joaquin, so it was "gently" used. The first thing I noticed was that after bumping air pressure in the tires to the proper specs, and adding 50 psi in the air shocks, that the ride improved markedly ( fuel economy too). So far we have had it over Donner (X2), Echo Summit (Hwy 50), Monida , Homestead , Bozeman, and Emigrant Passes. It does great with power to spare. I like to run it at around 2500 RPM on the flats (or nearly so), which is about 66-67 MPH, and over the passes at 3500 (if possible), but will do 4500 on the steep ones. Engine compression is excellent on the downhills, and only had to downshift a couple of time on 6-7% grades to keep from using the brakes too much. We went out of South Lake Tahoe to Minden Nevada on a steep and winding road, and it was the only time I had to pull over and let the brakes cool. I figured out pretty quickly why I didn't see anyone else on that particular stretch of road in a motor home! I have had to get the beast up and around some slower traffic (trucks) and it will do 75-80 no problem when needed (V-10). I figured about 10 MPG average over all terrain. But like I said, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Ford so far. We ran into another Sunseeker in Mesquite, Nevada who was towing and told us that there was no issue with pulling a toad at 65 MPH. We haven't towed anything yet, but that is soon to come. I plan on something fairly light like a Jeep Wrangler. I've seen a couple of Chevy class C's that I would love to drive too!
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Jim View Post
I was never a big Ford fan. But then we bought a 2013 Sunseeker 3170DS with the E450. To be honest, I really like it. The people we bought it from had only used it for some trips to Pismo out of the central San Joaquin, so it was "gently" used. The first thing I noticed was that after bumping air pressure in the tires to the proper specs, and adding 50 psi in the air shocks, that the ride improved markedly ( fuel economy too). So far we have had it over Donner (X2), Echo Summit (Hwy 50), Monida , Homestead , Bozeman, and Emigrant Passes. It does great with power to spare. I like to run it at around 2500 RPM on the flats (or nearly so), which is about 66-67 MPH, and over the passes at 3500 (if possible), but will do 4500 on the steep ones. Engine compression is excellent on the downhills, and only had to downshift a couple of time on 6-7% grades to keep from using the brakes too much. We went out of South Lake Tahoe to Minden Nevada on a steep and winding road, and it was the only time I had to pull over and let the brakes cool. I figured out pretty quickly why I didn't see anyone else on that particular stretch of road in a motor home! I have had to get the beast up and around some slower traffic (trucks) and it will do 75-80 no problem when needed (V-10). I figured about 10 MPG average over all terrain. But like I said, I have been pleasantly surprised with the Ford so far. We ran into another Sunseeker in Mesquite, Nevada who was towing and told us that there was no issue with pulling a toad at 65 MPH. We haven't towed anything yet, but that is soon to come. I plan on something fairly light like a Jeep Wrangler. I've seen a couple of Chevy class C's that I would love to drive too!
Timmy Jim - We're nearly in the exact same position and everything you mention about RPM and speed seems right on. I tend to stay around 65-67 mph on the flats because that is what the previous owner told me. What speed do you cruise at on the flats/interstates?

Tags
ford, sunseeker