Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Choice of oil in heavy usage generators????

Just wondering what oil people are choosing to use in their generators. Mine is a Onan and it gets ran for around 48 to 60 hours straight almost every weekend. I beleive Onan suggest straight 5 weight.

What do you trust?
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 PM   #2

"Mine is a Onan and it gets ran for around 48 to 60 hours straight almost every weekend."
================================================
I imagine the neighbours appreciate that.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"Mine is a Onan and it gets ran for around 48 to 60 hours straight almost every weekend."
================================================
I imagine the neighbours appreciate that.
Doesn't help with my question much, but to answer your question about my neighbors (who also have their generator running) when you are at a motocross track with 100 other generators running and 200 dirt bikes going, nobody seems to mind much. When at a camp ground I do choose to use the hook ups.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Best thing to do is look it up. However that being said most small 4 cycle engines suggest straight 30wt in above freezing and multigrade with lage temp fluctuations. I run 10W30 Synthetic in my Honda EU3000is. But then I run synthetic in everything from my compressors to pressure washers my John Deere tractors you name it.

Cummins Onan

Just enter your genny model info.
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Yes, I can see how running your generator at night while everyone else is doing it would not be an issue. But I have seen so many generator addicts pull into a quiet dry campground, and the first thing they do is fire up their generator and crank up the air conditioner.
Luckily, there is usually rules for quiet at night. although they usually don't start until 10 or so. So the result is all of the quiet campers trying to enjoy their campfires while the generator people sit in their air-conditioned camper. Experienced it far too many times.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #6

Why does a simple question turn into attacking someone on what they do when they camp? Why can't the poster get a straight answer to his question without all the side comments and irrelevant discussion?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:12 PM   #7

Thanks for the link Sasks. I was just wondering what other people trusted. My fiance has Crohns Disease and my 10 year old son is diabetic, we depend heavily on our generator, we have medication in the fridge at all times. Sorry if my generator offends you, but yes, you will hear it running as I pull into a camp ground until I get set up and have power hooked up. On race weekends it runs non stop from the time we leave until we get home.

Thanks for the post tmmar! There are a few threads that your post would work well in.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #8

"we depend heavily on our generator, we have medication in the fridge at all times"
===============================================
Yeah, the fridges don't work very good on propane.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"we depend heavily on our generator, we have medication in the fridge at all times"
===============================================
Yeah, the fridges don't work very good on propane.
I really have no need for your thoughts on how ignorant you perceive me to be, people like you are a waste of time.
It has become obvious that what I do in my motorhome is way to much for you to grasp and understand. Which I assume means your pushing 80. I don't stay in camp grounds!!!!! I thought I made that clear but I guess not. I use my motorhome as a home away from home. I stay at motocross tracks (they race those things with two wheels and handlebars called motorcycles) I don't have the luxury of plugging it in and running a hose to it. According to your picture you have no idea what the lay out of my rig is, the self contained propane bottle is not that big. We actually use our stove, oven, water heater, furnace and outside grill as they were intended, therefore we don't have extra propane for the fridge to be running off of it all the time, which means I use a GENERATOR. I'm glad you have a happy healthy life and don't have to deal with some of the crap I have to, but I wouldn't change my family for the world. If keeping them safe means disturbing your peace for 20 minutes, then I'm glad it bothers you, I hope every generator you hear makes your skin crawl.

***ATTENTION ADMINISTRATOR- You can just delete this whole thread, it serves no purpose any more and has no need to be on here. I will consider the feelings of others more before I post.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

Yikes...all I want to say ios Onan suggested 5w40 WHICH i CAN NOT FIND ANYWHERE....SO i MAY GO TO SYNTHETIC AS WELL. i AM GOING TO INSTALL A POWER INVERTER FOR THE LONG DRIVE TO nc THIS SUMMER. aNY THOUGHTS ON IF i SHOULD HOOK IT UP TO THE FRONT CAB BATTERY OR THE 2 REAR ONES. tHANKS

ps.. sORRY FOR THE CAPS...i AM A TYPING ILLTERATE AND CAN NOTTYPE WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE KEYS!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Yikes...all I want to say ios Onan suggested 5w40 WHICH i CAN NOT FIND ANYWHERE....SO i MAY GO TO SYNTHETIC AS WELL. i AM GOING TO INSTALL A POWER INVERTER FOR THE LONG DRIVE TO nc THIS SUMMER. aNY THOUGHTS ON IF i SHOULD HOOK IT UP TO THE FRONT CAB BATTERY OR THE 2 REAR ONES. tHANKS

ps.. sORRY FOR THE CAPS...i AM A TYPING ILLTERATE AND CAN NOTTYPE WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE KEYS!
Thank you for the honest reply. Thats all I was looking for, what Onan suggest or what others have used. I have 3 Onans and all three manuals have had different oil weights listed.

If our motorhome is running it charges all the batteries, I don't think it would matter much if your just going to be using it while you are driving. If you will be using it while you are camping I think I would want it hooked up to the house batteries. Less likely to run them low and they will get charged by the generator also if you use it.