Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 09:09 PM   #1

Class C Cabover protector

I have a 2013 Class C Sunseeker 2860DS. The cabover has what seems like a vinyl protector over most of it. After about 30,000 miles, most of that on interstates, the vinyl has numerous digs and zings making it look unsightly. Is this vinyl protector removable or even perhaps replaceable? Before I call the dealer I thought I'd check here.

Thanks for any replies.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:20 PM   #2

I recently removed the clear protector from a 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe. Local body shop put a new one on for $75. Said it would have been $110 if they had removed it. Next time I’ll pay the higher price because the removal was definitely not easy. I wouldn’t attempt to remove the protection from the cabover.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:14 AM   #3

A campground neighbor in a class A did the removal job on the front of his cab. He used Goof-off, plastic scrapers, heat gun and other tools that i don't remember. The vinyl on his rig was huge, maybe 4'x8' and he spent days doing it. The finished job looked good, almost like new. I'd guess it took him 20+ hours.
He was lucky compared to our Class C's, he was standing on the ground or sitting on a chair the whole time. We would have to setup a scaffold of some type to be able to do the nose over hang, doing it on a ladder would be murder. He told me that there are solvent listed on the web, but he didn't use them. Maybe hang out in a body shop and see what they use.
My 3011DS 2018 has a few dings and bug juice stains but nothing bad yet. I believe that the black stains under the vinyl are mold and the small dings allow some moisture to get under the surface and start growing the black stuff. I wax the nose very well 3 or more times a year to seal it and I bought a long handle truckers squeege that I try to use daily when i'm on the road to get the critters off before they bake on.
My $02.
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:49 AM   #4

I posted a how to video in this thread.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f16/rust-203438.html#post2289586
dancort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
Certified Curmudgeon

fixed link...

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2289332
Old 09-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #6
Commercial Member