Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2022, 09:36 PM   #1

Class C E450 Extra Capacity Transmission Fluid Pan

I have a Forest River Sunseeker Class C motorhome based on a 2017 Ford E450 Super Duty chassis with the 6.8L V10 engine and 6R140 6-speed Torqshift automatic transmission.

I am thinking about adding an extra capacity (deep) transmission fluid pan. I expect the following benefits from one of these pans:
  • Extra fluid capacity
  • Improved cooling from aluminum housing with cooling fins
  • Easier fluid changes because of drain plug in new pan

Regarding the last item above - yes, I know I need to remove the pan and replace the filter when changing the fluid. It's still easier with a drain plug.

I am not really interested in hearing about the pros and cons of an extended pan, but I am very interested to hear from anyone who has installed one of these pans and what their experience has been with it.

The units I am considering are as follows:

BD-Power 1061720 Deep Sump 6R140 Transmission Pan
https://us.bddiesel.com/products/for...r140-trans-pan

ATS Diesel High Capacity Aluminum Transmission Pan Ford 6R140
https://www.atsdiesel.com/ats-deep-t...l-power-stroke

PPE Transmission Pan - 11-19 Ford 6R140
https://ppepower.com/collections/tra...um-ford-6r140?

Mag-Hytec F6R140 Transmission Pan 2011-2019 Ford Super Duty (Equipped With 6R140 Transmission)
https://mag-hytec.com/product/f6r140/

Note that the listings above primarily refer to transmissions behind the Ford 6.7L diesel, but the transmission behind my gas 6.8L V10 is the same. I have contacted the manufacturers and they confirmed that it should fit okay. My Sunseeker does not have any exhaust pipe or crossmember that would interfere with a larger pan.

Please let me know if you have experience with one of these pans. Thanks.
MarkK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:14 AM   #2

Following.
siskiyouline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:17 AM   #3
Certified Curmudgeon

Need vs Desire

I would be concerned with my ground clearance and I do not have the need or desire to go down this path.

So out of curiosity if you do not mind sharing what is driving your need to entertain this mod I would sure like to know.

These are things that I am factoring in:
How much weight is being towed and in what configuration.
The need for additional transmission PM beyond the recommended 30,000 mile interval.
The need to change the filter beyond the recommended 150,000 mile interval.
Actual operation temps from a scan gauge that indicate excessive heat.

I have the same production year powertrain and there is a basic temp gauge for the transmission. I drive predominantly in the Summer months and I always dinghy(light) tow. Been to all 48 and most provinces and my trans temp remains almost constant regardless of terrain.

In other words, what empirical data do you have? Inquiring minds want to know.

TIA
Old 03-11-2022, 07:56 AM   #4
Kanadian Kamper

Duck asked it all.

I’m watching.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I would be concerned with my ground clearance and I do not have the need or desire to go down this path.

So out of curiosity if you do not mind sharing what is driving your need to entertain this mod I would sure like to know.

These are things that I am factoring in:
How much weight is being towed and in what configuration.
The need for additional transmission PM beyond the recommended 30,000 mile interval.
The need to change the filter beyond the recommended 150,000 mile interval.
Actual operation temps from a scan gauge that indicate excessive heat.

I have the same production year powertrain and there is a basic temp gauge for the transmission. I drive predominantly in the Summer months and I always dinghy(light) tow. Been to all 48 and most provinces and my trans temp remains almost constant regardless of terrain.

In other words, what empirical data do you have? Inquiring minds want to know.

TIA
Ducky, thanks for your feedback. My main goal is to reduce transmission fluid temperature to help increase transmission life. Based on my research, a larger trans fluid pan with more capacity will do this. An aluminum pan with cooling fins should also help to dissipate heat.

Regarding your other comments:
  • I don't believe that ground clearance will be an issue, but I need to do some more measuring to be sure.
  • I am almost always towing something behind my Sunseeker, either a Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door toad or a 22 foot race car trailer (about 6,000 pounds loaded).
  • My E450 owners manual has the maintenance interval (fluid change and replace filter) for the automatic transmission at 150,000 miles, unless towing a trailer, in which case it is 30,000 miles for fluid change only. I am right at 30,000 miles on my rig now, so I want to take care of transmission maintenance before the camping/racing season starts. Note that I don't see much point in changing the fluid without changing the filter. $30 or so for a new filter seems like cheap insurance, especially if I have the pan off.
  • I do not currently have a transmission temperature gauge, although some of the pans I am looking at have a provision for a sending unit. I suppose I could crawl underneath and get the external temp of the transmission with my infrared thermometer, but I'm not sure how meaningful that would be. I will also check to see if my Bluedriver scan tool can give me a real time trans temp reading.
  • I will also be replacing the factory trans fluid with synthetic fluid, which help overall. I know that there is debate over the benefits of synthetic lubricants, but not in my mind.

Mark
Old 03-11-2022, 02:30 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

Spare Box

Well towing an actual trailer would certainly make a difference over dinghy towing so I can see where you would want some additional cooling. I have no idea why I thought you had a trans temp gauge. I’m going to claim temporary liquid impairment.

Thanks for the clarification.

This may be of interest to you. Tombsy installed a scan gauge in his dash where the coin tray and brake controller would reside. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2204417
You will have to ask him if he gets transmission data from the OBDII or just the silly open end wrench icon.
Old 03-13-2022, 07:19 AM   #7

I would do a little research on the subject, you may find it to be inaccurate data. If you have high transmission heat now a deep pan will only prolong the inevitable. They don’t add any. crazy cooling capacity, a couple of quarts of fluid won’t solve the problem. I personally would go after another transmission fluid cooler, more bang for the buck. I do like the drain plug, only if your actually going to use it. Internal filters don’t need changing on a regular basis either.
Old 03-13-2022, 08:13 AM   #8

Years ago I installed a BD aluminum pan on my F350 with 7.3 diesel hauling a large Lance camper and towing the Jeep. However I also put in the largest BM Racing aux. cooler and put exhaust wrap on a cross-over pipe that went under the pan. Those mods dropped my trans temp down to around 190 almost all the time. I think your larger al pan with cooling fins will do the job because the new trannies are so much better than my old E4OD was.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 12:03 AM   #9
Have Camera will Travel

If you check out hotrod shops there is also a universal cooler. It is an extruded aluminum finned tube with provision for fitting on the ends, They are about 2 inches in diameter and can be had in different lengths. This is an example.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-13249?rrec=true
2000 W inverter.
Koni FSD shocks and upgraded castor bushings.
Canadian Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 10:35 AM   #10

On your deep pan what provision is made for the trannie filter? It has been so long since I changed a filter I can't remember how they are held in place. But I believe you just pull it down after dropping the pan. If so how is it held in place with a deeper pan? I did all my work in 1999 and can't remember the details.
I do agree with the above poster about not changing the filter except when you install the new pan. You should change the fluid every 30,000 miles regardless of what anyone says including Ford. And use the OEM fluid spec'd by Ford. It isn't more expensive than auto parts store stuff. If the old fluid comes out red and clear, doesn't smell burned, and is nice and slippery between your fingers then there is no reason to change the filter. You don't want to be taking out all those bolts every time you change filters. The trannie case is aluminum and is just begging for you to screw up the threads on a bolt hole!!
After doing all that work it was very satisfying to watch the trans temp gage hardly move when climbing a long hill. Even more so when I had to do some start and stop in towns along the way. Good luck.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
On your deep pan what provision is made for the trannie filter? It has been so long since I changed a filter I can't remember how they are held in place. But I believe you just pull it down after dropping the pan. If so how is it held in place with a deeper pan? I did all my work in 1999 and can't remember the details......
On the 6R140 transmission, the filter is bolted to the transmission housing with three bolts.

Tags
class c, e450