Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #41

I have the 2018 3011 DS with the Dura shield and I’m having the same mildew problem. Upon research I found changing it would be under warranty so I had it done this week by Mirror Images in Slidell Louisiana. I also understand that today begins a new warranty. I have another five years so I’m giving it one more shot. While talking to the Gentlemen at Mirror iImage I was informed the best way to get the old one off is with a steamer in case some of you are past the warranty. But this must be done before begins to crack. Good luck.
CruisingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:07 AM   #42

I just sent Dura Shield a e-mail explaining the issues with their product.

Hopefully I get a reply with info on what we need to do to get this corrected !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:29 PM   #43

dura shield replaced

I just got my Forester back today form getting the dura shield replaced. So far looks good.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
What you are experiencing is the same thing as people experience with water filters that have clear canisters and have them mounted outside their vehicles.

Sunlight can cause algae and mold to grow. All it takes is for there to be be a few of the "spores" present and in time they reproduce when their environment is favorable.

If the "clear shield" was applied in a humid environment moisture was trapped. That and the material itself provided the nutrients for the organisms to grow. Add to that the fact that some glues and polymers are actually good food for mold/algae.

In short, unless a product that prevents biological reproduction is applied it just goes with the territory. If getting it replaced it might be a good idea to have the replacement product applied in a town like Yuma in the middle of a summer afternoon where the humidity is around 12%. At least trapped moisture issues will be reduced
Sorry to be late with a reply but I wanted to be sure my information is correct.

The film is applied using water and can be moved around/trimmed as necessary to achieve perfect placement.
The painted surface is treated with Isopropyl alcohol just prior to film installation.
Either the alcohol step was not performed properly or skipped or the water contained contaminants.

This film is applied in a clean climate controlled bay.
Sharpline is trying to locate such a place for me but so far we've found no one locally that meets the requirements with the door height to get my 3051 inside.
The one place less than a mile from me unfortunately has ductwork 10 feet from the floor. The top of my roof air conditioner is11' 3" so no go.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #45

Kirt - Do you have a contact name or # for Dura Shield / Sharpline ? They have not responded to my e-mails !

Lacrawgator - Did you have it done under warranty ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 04-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #46

Steeljag, yes I had it done under warranty. The company that makes durashield is Sharpline. I was dealing with Suzanne Calvert, suzannec@sharpline.com, hope this helps.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrawgator View Post
Steeljag, yes I had it done under warranty. The company that makes durashield is Sharpline. I was dealing with Suzanne Calvert, suzannec@sharpline.com, hope this helps.
Thank you !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 PM   #48

I had the Dura Shield replaced today under warranty, and it looks great ! The company was great to work with, and sent their tech to my home for the removal and installation ( after asking if I had a covered area for the RV).

Thanks to all on this form for sharing the info, as I would have tried to do this myself, or paid someone to do it !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 06-21-2019, 08:06 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
I had the Dura Shield replaced today under warranty, and it looks great ! The company was great to work with, and sent their tech to my home for the removal and installation ( after asking if I had a covered area for the RV).

Thanks to all on this form for sharing the info, as I would have tried to do this myself, or paid someone to do it !
Glad to hear yours is done and you and lacrawgator are satisfied with the work.

I didn't answer you about the contact at Sharpline as lacrawgator beat me to it [emoji2] .

I'm also working with Suzanne. She set up a tech to come to our house. He can remove the mildewing film in the driveway but he needs a covered bay to replace it.

I haven't been able to find anyone willing to let me use a space and I'm at the point where if they will remove it I may just leave it off.

I'm willing to travel to a shop if necessary.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk S View Post
Glad to hear yours is done and you and lacrawgator are satisfied with the work.

I didn't answer you about the contact at Sharpline as lacrawgator beat me to it [emoji2] .

I'm also working with Suzanne. She set up a tech to come to our house. He can remove the mildewing film in the driveway but he needs a covered bay to replace it.

I haven't been able to find anyone willing to let me use a space and I'm at the point where if they will remove it I may just leave it off.

I'm willing to travel to a shop if necessary.

Can you pull the nose into your garage. I don't know if that would be enough shelter.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 01:54 PM   #51

Kirk - Did you purchase your RV locally ? The tech told me had I not had a covered area, my options would have been his shop, or the selling dealer, due to it being a warranty issue.

Good luck, and hopefully you get it taken care of soon !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Old 11-04-2019, 10:44 AM   #52

Well, between scheduling conflicts for several months the awful looking mildewed paint protective film on my hood and front cap has been removed. All I had to provide was a couple of ladders and power for the steamer.
There were no paint or decal pulling issues while removing the film and my Forester looks like new again.

Suzanne at Sharpline hooked me up with a mobile film technician who came to our house on a Sunday morning. He used a plastic putty knife along with a handheld steamer and was finished in less than 4 hours.
The holdup was finding a clean, climate controlled bay to put the new film on. After an exhausting search, no shop wanted the liability of having responsibility for my vehicle so I opted to not replace the film, just remove it.
If anyone else is experiencing this film issue, don't give up. There is hope!
Old 11-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #53
Citrus County, Fl.

Waiting for warmer weather to remove mine. It's a shame mine was not installed by Sharpline as it would be covered. Next spring I will remove it and install a bug shield like I have had on my Super Duty for almost 20 years.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Well, between scheduling conflicts for several months the awful looking mildewed paint protective film on my hood and front cap has been removed. All I had to provide was a couple of ladders and power for the steamer.
There were no paint or decal pulling issues while removing the film and my Forester looks like new again.

Suzanne at Sharpline hooked me up with a mobile film technician who came to our house on a Sunday morning. He used a plastic putty knife along with a handheld steamer and was finished in less than 4 hours.
The holdup was finding a clean, climate controlled bay to put the new film on. After an exhausting search, no shop wanted the liability of having responsibility for my vehicle so I opted to not replace the film, just remove it.
If anyone else is experiencing this film issue, don't give up. There is hope!
Kurt thanks for update Suzanne gave me a tec here in Florida to have mine removed just can’t get him to call me back. Looking forward to mine looking new again where I can wash and wax
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:07 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
Waiting for warmer weather to remove mine. It's a shame mine was not installed by Sharpline as it would be covered. Next spring I will remove it and install a bug shield like I have had on my Super Duty for almost 20 years.

I considered a bug shield, however, I thought this might just deflect more stones towards the front cap.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I considered a bug shield, however, I thought this might just deflect more stones towards the front cap.
Have a bug shield on hood have no issues of stones etc being thrown up to cap have an appointment in 3 weeks to have the clear shield remove than a nice coat of wax
Old 11-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #57

Dcbenny, I see you have an appointment so I'm assuming the film technician called you.
If that's not the case ask Suzanne if Ken, the traveling guy that removed my film, would be willing to remove yours. He did a fine job.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #58

Quote:
Dcbenny, I see you have an appointment so I'm assuming the film technician called you.
If that's not the case ask Suzanne if Ken, the traveling guy that removed my film, would be willing to remove yours. He did a fine job.
Kirk when he followed up he was going to call me back at the end of the month to confirm th actual date. If not I will call Susanne back thanks for the heads up
Old 11-18-2019, 03:40 PM   #59

Clear shield removed today OH what a difference not reinstalling

Tags
forester