Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2022, 10:00 AM   #21

One more thing, about this latching noise coming out of the Stair Well -- It does not bother my wife. Not at all, it only bother me, apparently. She thinks I have become obsessed with a minor little noise. She seems to think this is normal. But, some have stated that they do not have this latching noise -- so, it is not normal. Thanks for that response from Billww3, letting me and others know that he does not have this problem sound coming from a Sister Coach -- thanks Bill -- Now, one mystery is closed -- it is not normal, something is going on. This BIM switches are not cheap, maybe I can wait and go to Lithium Batterys and then change the BIM out at the same time? I know, different thread. Thanks for all of the input, and for Mike having opened this one.
danbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbax View Post
Hey, that is a good description for the sound coming out of the Stair Well -- A latching sound. Perhaps I am on the wrong thread? The object, behind a cover in the Stair Well, is a Battery Isolation Manager -- or -- BIM 160. I found out where the sound was coming from but not the reason why or if it is faulty. Forget about all of the explanations as to how it works or even why -- here is what it is doing, and while this may not be happening with other motorhomes, it is happening with mine and a couple of others, from what I have read, but no real answers. Here it is -- sitting, parked, engine off, hooked up to shore power and every now and then, say an hour to two hours, the Latching Sound occurs. It is very noticeae and not quiet, it is as if the door is latching open and then closed. It does this twice, sometimes three times, a couple of minutes apart, then nothing for another hour or two later, then it repeats. Does it do it while driving? I have no idea, as the cabin noise and stuff, who could tell, but it does do it, while parked. I did go to the ignition seat switch and could get the BIM to repeat the exact same Latching sound, but still not sure that is the problem (a faulty switch?). I am going to disconnect the Driver's Seat Ignition Switch and see if that stops this from happening -- So far, no dead batteries, no problems -- at least nothing noticeable.
So, what say you all? Thanks
This is normal operation for the BIM. Mine (2020 Sunseeker) makes the click or thump every hour or so. Perhaps your’s is just a bit louder than most as the wife and I hardly notice ours, but it’s there. No need to fix what isn’t broke unless you just want to replace the BIM in an attempt to make it quieter. Then again you might waste time and money replacing parts only to find the sound didn’t change. You might also just check that everything in that box is mounted tightly.
Old 07-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbax View Post
One more thing, about this latching noise coming out of the Stair Well -- It does not bother my wife. Not at all, it only bother me, apparently. She thinks I have become obsessed with a minor little noise. She seems to think this is normal. But, some have stated that they do not have this latching noise -- so, it is not normal. Thanks for that response from Billww3, letting me and others know that he does not have this problem sound coming from a Sister Coach -- thanks Bill -- Now, one mystery is closed -- it is not normal, something is going on. This BIM switches are not cheap, maybe I can wait and go to Lithium Batterys and then change the BIM out at the same time? I know, different thread. Thanks for all of the input, and for Mike having opened this one.

"sister coach" got me to thinking... maybe not a true sister - my Forester is 2020, the OP has 2014 Sunseeker in profile. possible or even probable that my switch is in a different location that i just don't hear. i don't think there is a standard wiring schematic they follow rigidly - i have never found a copy of one - if anyone has such an item i would really like that file!!! KaryKatz??
bill