Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Coach Battery, did i just screw up?

I bought a 2013 3170 back in January. During the walk through my dealer told me to check the water levels and replace with distilled water if they were low. I just did it for the first time. There are no labels on the battery, but one panel that looks like it has a hinge by the handle. I stuck my screw driver in and popped of the panel with the hinge. I added a little water and everything looked fine. Then I went back to put the panel back on and it will not seal. It just sits there. Did I just pop the seal on a no maintenance battery? If so what type do I buy to replace it? I am leaving on a trip tomorrow and need to get this solved now. Please help!
CoachPJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Berkshire 390QS

most coach batteries are maintenance free and if you had to use a screw driver to pop the panel off then recommend you buy a new one since you will not be able to seal it again. there has to be some labels or brand and model numbers on the top somewhere. call you dealer and ask him what kind of battery.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #3

I don't think there is any problem with the battery if you took the "sealed caps off" and can't get them back on/sealed. It just means you now have a vented battery and would potentially need to add water more often. I certainly see no need to replace them. So called sealed batteries sometimes need water added anyway but generally need it much less than vented ones. It depends on how hard they are used or charged. Some sealed battry failures are due to low water since few ever check it.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #4

Had the same question last month. Posted a question. Check the Sunseeker thread around 7-21. If your batteries are similar, I have identified them as AC Delco.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Get a new battery. I would not want a damaged unsealed battery in my coach. IMHO
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #6

You can get a deep cell marine battery the same size or is it just a standard automotive battery? Measure your battery and buy one the same size. Walmart has them or any auto parts store.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote