Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #1

Coach battery problem

I have a 2017 Forest River Forester 2401 MBS RV and lately I noticed that after i changed my coach batteries and shut the power off to the back of the coach, a few days later I would turn it back on and they would be at 2/3 level.
It’s never happened before, usually when I shut the power to the back of the coach there is no drain to the batteries. Theses batteries are new BTW, and I believe everything is hooked up correctly.
When I’m plugged in the level is full, when I use the generator the level is full. If my battery is at 2/3 and drive down the road the batteries get charged and show full.
But bottom line the batteries seem to lose their charge just sitting with the coach button off.
Any advise?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7393.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	321.8 KB
ID:	238839
Russman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russman View Post
I have a 2017 Forest River Forester 2401 MBS RV and lately I noticed that after i changed my coach batteries and shut the power off to the back of the coach, a few days later I would turn it back on and they would be at 2/3 level.
It’s never happened before, usually when I shut the power to the back of the coach there is no drain to the batteries. Theses batteries are new BTW, and I believe everything is hooked up correctly.
When I’m plugged in the level is full, when I use the generator the level is full. If my battery is at 2/3 and drive down the road the batteries get charged and show full.
But bottom line the batteries seem to lose their charge just sitting with the coach button off.
Any advise?Attachment 238839
I just posted my solution. Also, how do you know the level (state of charge) is full ?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2410694
Old 09-10-2020, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
I just posted my solution. Also, how do you know the level (state of charge) is full ?

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2410694

I’m going off the battery level led readout on the control panel. I did bring the new batteries back to Autozone and they said they were ok, about 2/3 charged.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:40 PM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
I’m going off the battery level led readout on the control panel. I did bring the new batteries back to Autozone and they said they were ok, about 2/3 charged.
Thought so. The battery level meter on your control panel is a good visual aid however it is only good if your batteries are not being charged. If you are plugged in, running the genset or motoring down the road, the indicator will read full.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Thought so. The battery level meter on your control panel is a good visual aid however it is only good if your batteries are not being charged. If you are plugged in, running the genset or motoring down the road, the indicator will read full.
That's about all it is, a visual aid. An actual volt meter reading in tenth's of a volt would be more meaningful.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
That's about all it is, a visual aid. An actual volt meter reading in tenth's of a volt would be more meaningful.

Update: I drove several hours with the coach batteries in the on position hoping they would charge and they didn’t. But when I used the generator to move the slideout it jumped to full. Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Update: I drove several hours with the coach batteries in the on position hoping they would charge and they didn’t. But when I used the generator to move the slideout it jumped to full. Any suggestions?
Russman I do not know the capacity of your alternator so it may just be that either your battery isolator is not working or with the disconnect switch on you have too much draw for your alternator to overcome the load and charge the battery. In either case you need a meter to determine what is actually going on.

As for your battery indicator lights jumping to full when the generator is running, please reread the last sentence in post #4.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:06 PM   #8

Try checking the voltage coming from each battery by itself. You will need to unhook both batteries, then check each one. One battery might be bad and draining the other good one.
johnlantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery