Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 03:09 PM   #21

I took the bottom strip off my door today. At the ball mount, the aluminum was bent and soon to break, about like the photos posted by 17racer. I would think that anyone with a 2014 Sunseeker will eventually have to deal with breakage at that spot.

I removed the ball. You have to use an angle grinder and grind the back side of it to remove it. My fix will not be the same as 17racer's. I will find something flat steel at the hardware store. 3/4 inch wide by 1/8 high by 4 to 6 inches long will do it. That will go inside the center channel of the door piece.

There is little to no clearance above (inside the door) for fasteners, so I'll have to pay attention to that, and maybe use epoxy as well as screws or rivets.

Before I proceed, I'm going to try to figure out who the door supplier was. If I find out, I'll call them and try to cajole them into providing me a beefier door bottom.
Old 10-23-2016, 03:39 PM   #22

Start with Lippert as door supplier, just a hunch!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #23

I found the tag on the door. There is no name, but the model number matches those made by Dexter Doors. www.dexterdoor.com

I will be calling them tomorrow.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #24

Dexter Door sent me a replacement door bottom, which they call a Strut Surround Sill, and a foam gasket tape for same. They also sent a new strut. I have to send back the old parts.

From me, they needed a picture of, or the numbers on, the build sticker on the inside of the door jamb area. And the VIN and purchase date.

The new part is the same as the old except when they squeezed the ball stem onto the backer plate, they did it in a way that did not curve the backer plate upward. It still doesn't look super strong, but they think it is strong enough, so I will find out.

The new strut is quite a bit slower acting, at least when new. I had already bought a 10 pound strut on my own. I tried it, and to me it behaves about the same as the stock 20 one did. Meaning the door flies quickly to the end of the travel and then flexes back and forth. With the new one that Dexter sent, the door moves out more slowly. So I am using it.

If you want to call them, the number is 574-848-4491. Warranty dept is x263. Mine was a bit out of warranty but they honored it. Assuming the price was reasonable, I would have paid if I had to. I tried to fix my old one, but there is so little clearance for the stud, and strut end, on both top and bottom that I could not get a satisfactory setup. If I could have found a really short ball with a threaded mount stud, I could have done it. But I couldn't find one shorter than the one I bought, which simply was too tall once the strut was attached to it.

Here is a photo of the stud mounting on the new part.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:48 PM   #25

I have had a chance to use the MH for several days. The new gas strut is very good for this problem. It is very slow opening, so there is not a big stress and strain when it stops. I hope it stays that way.

Tags
door, gas, repair