Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 03:46 PM   #1

Coax colors and usage?

As you've probably seen in one of my other threads, I'm moving the entertainment center/TV from the center of the overhead to the right wall in the overhead.

I have a question for the collective knowledge of the group: Two runs of RF coax were routed to the back end of the antenna amplifer (white panel with power tap & F connector on the visible front side). These two were:

Black - run from the park F connector in the rear storage bay (and cut nearly in half 6" away from the amp probably by the router while cutting the holes in the panel, Arg!)

Gray - RF coax to the King Jack box for the antenna.

Here's the back of the antenna amp/power tap:

I see a third in the overhead of this cabinet just to the left of the radio:

This cable is bright purple; it is routed from a hole at the juncture of the wall & ceiling in the access hole at the top of the cabinet. It is connected to a plate with an F connector in the ceiling of the small storage behind the door to the left of the radio.

What is this purple RF coax used for? I don't currently have a pic posted on line but will get one added to this post.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Does it go to the radio or not? If to the radio, it might be the FM antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 03-30-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Nope, it is not routed to the radio.

The radio has a separate antenna lead - and it is the black sheath RF standard type with a push in connector found on automotive radios.

This purple coax is not in the same compartment as the radio. The opening is in the far upper left corner inside the cabinet, and is routed to the back side of the plate with the F connector in the ceiling of the storage cabinet.

Great suggestion, however!
Old 03-31-2016, 12:59 AM   #4

Purple should be your satellite prewire. You should also see a wall plate with HDMI close by. The purple coax should terminate up on the roof somewhere to connect a satellite dish.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #5

Thanks!
The HDMI cable was coiled up in the space, but wasn't routed to a panel. The other end of the HDMI was pinched between the back of the TV and the backer board, and was not plugged in. I thought it was a mistake on the assembler's part, but perhaps it was by design, for the satellite system.

I'll look over the roof to see if I can find where the other end of the purple coax might be routed to... (out of curiosity, we'll never have a satellite setup).
Old 03-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #6

Do have a separate coach radio?
I believe you do. Make sure you can play tv sound through radio speakers.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:18 PM   #7

That it does; you can see the coach radio in the last image of my original post. And yes, the output of the TV can be directed/played through the this unit.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #8

The HDMI that is on the wall plate near purple coax should go to HDMI input on tv. Its to connect satellite receiver to tv
Old 03-31-2016, 10:13 PM   #9

Would have been nice it they put the HDMI wall plate in.. all we got was a passage port and a coiled up cable in the top:

Though I've since snipped the HDMI cable & both audio/video cables, and the 110 romex that was run through this port on their way to the TV and cabinet.

Here's the view of the compartment ceiling from inside the compartment to the left of the radio:

And the purple cable & entrance point that spurred this question:

Up on the roof, I found an F connector under a cap just in front of the air conditioner:

and a detail view:

I didn't mic it out to see if the are one and the same, but I'm presuming they are.