Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Cold air drafts

Does anyone have any ideas or solutions for stopping the cold air draft under the couch slide on the 3071? I have searched without any luck. The draft is coming in around the gear tracks mounted to the bottom of the slide. The rubber flap cutout around the track does not stop drafts. Swim noodles from the outside does not work. Thought about stuffing rags but the last thing I need are rags pulled into the tracks. Any ideas are appreciated.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:59 PM   #2

How about some heavy duty v weather striping glued around the opening?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #3

For a draft, the air must have a passage (in and out). Do you leave your roof vent(s) open? Even a window just cracked open will give the air a passage.

To check the slide gasket on the inside - the slide raised floor has a carpeted fascia board that runs under the oven. There are two screws hidden in the carpet that will come out to drop that board. This will provide a good point for inspecting. You should also have the rubber wiper gasket under the couch behind the knee board. When the slide is extended you can reach the slide exterior gasket while holding up the wiper gasket. Inspect the exterior gaskets that they are making contact with the slide floor. There are some clearance cut-outs for the slide track - not much you can do about that. Maybe stuff some pool noodles from the inside along the slide floor
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
For a draft, the air must have a passage (in and out). Do you leave your roof vent(s) open? Even a window just cracked open will give the air a passage. To check the slide gasket on the inside - the slide raised floor has a carpeted fascia board that runs under the oven. There are two screws hidden in the carpet that will come out to drop that board. This will provide a good point for inspecting. You should also have the rubber wiper gasket under the couch behind the knee board. When the slide is extended you can reach the slide exterior gasket while holding up the wiper gasket. Inspect the exterior gaskets that they are making contact with the slide floor. There are some clearance cut-outs for the slide track - not much you can do about that. Maybe stuff some pool noodles from the inside along the slide floor
yep, we generally leave something cracked a kittle. Usually the bath vent. Out there today looking at the little problem. The rubber wiper gasket along the outside of the slide and the rubber flap behind the knee board are in place. When you lift the knee board flap, you can see daylight peeking through above the outside wiper. Not much but a gap. I think my flaps may be a little short. I had some 1" thick foam which I cut and from the outside, pushed it into the space. Seemed to help fill in and cut down on the draft.
I will keep noodling on it or just pull in the slide.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Someone on here a while back was using pool noodles around the bottom of the slide.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Phat Phrog

I use my thin blankets, roll them into a long roll, then tuck it in an under the couch. It takes two blankets to line the length of the couch, but It helps a lot!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Someone on here a while back was using pool noodles around the bottom of the slide.
We use pool noodles. Works better than anything else we tried.

thinner one cut to size for the rear, thicker one for the couch slide. As long as you cut them to fit (and not a foot hanging loose), then they really are hard to notice.

And we have orange ones.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Graduate Member

We stopped all the other drafts with a generous helping of Reflectix. Wife is VERY happy. Ergo I am a very happy (and often) camper.

Here's a link, with pics, price and ease of use.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...dyi-34074.html
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I will try the ideas and see which one the DW likes.