Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 03:27 PM   #21

Yes, the thread is about sockets, but. The OP has stated they are inexperienced. They do not know what they do not know. A slight departure from sockets to tools or other essential equipment for maintenance and safety seems appropriate to me.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:04 PM   #22

I always carry a bag of various tools, an electrical box with electrical tools and connectors and most importantly a torque wrench and set of 1/2 in deep impact sockets while we are traveling/towing. Whenever I try to pare it down I find I need just toe tool I left home, so take them all now.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:09 PM   #23

A metric Crescent wrench ...that sounds like some of the stuff Geri pulled in the Army, sending newbies to pick up 'box of map grid squares' or 'a can of squelch grease' to cut down the squeaking noise in the radio, at the supply office.

The answer was the same for both: "GTFOoH"
Old 08-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Years ago I purchased a Stanley took kit similar to this:

My kt maxes out at 3/4" wrench and socket size so I have larger sockets as needed (one for lug nuts, one for Anode rod)

I carry other tools but the thread was about socket sizes. If I need a socket, I think I'm covered for anything i might run into.

Total weight about 20 lbs.
Years ago, when I first started going out with my wife, I bought a set like that so I has some sort of tools to work on things at her house. They just stayed in her closet. Now that set goes with the camper!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:32 PM   #25

Being a retired farmer that always fixed my own equipment, I carry a complete tool set in the bed of my truck and it has paid off many times. If youre not handy at fixing things then you better keep your AAA membership current.

jerry
Smoker 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:37 PM   #26

Size your tools with your mechanical capabilities and needs.
Carry only the tools that you're capable of doing the work on. If you're a shade tree mechanic then there is no limits on what you should carry with you.

The all in one tool kits shown in the other post would suffice for the average RV'r to fix most items. Once you start getting into the 1 inch and larger sockets that's usually a major job.
A good jump box or a set of jumper cables would be a good idea to have on hand.

I carry a Rigid 1/2" impact for taking off lug nuts along with the deep impact sockets.
I carry the Milwaukee 1/4" 18V Fuel impact along with the Milwaukee 18V Fuel drill. Assortment of drill bits and small sockets for the drills.
Metric and SAE sockets and wrenches up to 1 inch.
Screwdrivers and one pry bar.
Carry the 3 larger wrenches I need for the hitch just in case.
Tape and rope and wire and Zip Ties and a large hammer round out most of my tools.
Gary

Nothing lasts forever, So live it up,laugh it off, take chances, & never have regrets, because at one point, everything you did was exactly what you wanted.
GlowPlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #27

I used to carry a cheap set of sockets. After the plastic internal gear broke in the ratchet I changed. It was a long drive to a store that I did not want to make twice, so I bought good equipment and extra adapters. The wrenches that almost fit and the fake crescents that don't hold tight are also an issue. Get good tools whatever you decide to buy.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 PM   #28

Sockets and wrenches

1) Open end adjustable wrench = Crescent brand wrench
AKA Crescent Hammer. If you can't turn it you beat it into submission.
Best used for rounding off nuts you don't have the right wrench or socket for and busting knuckles, also improves the kids' knowledge of blue language..

2) Vise Grips / Channel Locks
Used to further round off nuts or bolts that the crescent hammer couldn't budge and rounded off. Work well to grab the heated nut so you don't burn the fingers.

My first ship if we reached for the crescent hammer the Chief or MM1 would appear out of nowhere to dope slap you and make the trip to the tool box for the correct tool. Saved a lot of busted knuckles and rounded off nuts.

Chief Machinist's Mate
USNR(RET)

Seriously now.
Get a good set of screwdrivers and add a #2 square drive / Robertson square drive.
Have the screwdriver and bits for the drill. Saves a lot of trouble.

Safe travels

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #29

What tool to bring

Definitely an interesting thread.
Obviously the experience and confidence of each user will help determine what one brings.
My mantra has always been - The last thing I want to experience is an incident where I know how to repair a failure but do not have the tool required for the task.
Obviously most of us cannot bring everything we have at home.
Experience will play a very large part in these decisions.
I have found I probably use my tools most of the time helping others who did not bring the tool they needed at that time and place.

Interesting to read what follows on this thread.
Quilter3446 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #30

tools

For tools I like to be equipped.I carry all the mentioned tools and more. My fluke meter, some wire and connectors, a water pump and a fuel pump. Some torx drivers are handy too. Soon you will need torx plus also.
To each his own on this stuff. My home shop is 2ea 6' boxes and long low snap-on rolling box filled with impact wrenches and sockets only. Too much to list, better said that a picture is worth a thousand words.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:23 PM   #31

I have found this clam-shell cased DeWalt tool set to be super handy for the smaller things in the trailer. As many I carry several sets of tools including a Ryobi 18V drill, extra battery and charger. I believe last Xmas these DeWalt sets were on sale maybe at HDepot for like $30... I bought two. Set includes 4-14 mm and 5/32 to 9/16 six-point sockets in 1/4 in drive with bits for the driver handle. I got one set behind the seat in the TV and have used it a bunch just in the last 6 months.

Also have a long breaker bar and deep well sockets for all of the lugs on truck and trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dewalt-kit.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	235390  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #32

Your best tool kit is a winning smile and a humble expression. Be friendly to your neighbors, when you need something, they will have it. Also, ask, ask, ask! " How do I? The experts will come from every where. True story, 3rd year at the same park for the winter. One "Old Goat", would not exchange even a nod. I continued to speak to him, when walking by his site. My sewer backs up, nothing is working, my neighbors are making suggestions: out of know where, "Old Goat" and his son-in-law show up with tools and have me fixed up quickly! Campers are always willing to help, even "Old Goats"!
tonys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:33 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys View Post
Your best tool kit is a winning smile and a humble expression. Be friendly to your neighbors, when you need something, they will have it. Also, ask, ask, ask! " How do I? The experts will come from every where. True story, 3rd year at the same park for the winter. One "Old Goat", would not exchange even a nod. I continued to speak to him, when walking by his site. My sewer backs up, nothing is working, my neighbors are making suggestions: out of know where, "Old Goat" and his son-in-law show up with tools and have me fixed up quickly! Campers are always willing to help, even "Old Goats"!
Neighbors? What is that. You are supposed be camping.
aircommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #34

I've had enough car trouble in my life, to know to take a complete tool kit. I had the tools to replace clutch on a trip years ago. Get a Cresent wrench big enough to tighted the ball on your hitch. A friend of mine watched his boat go off the road behind him when his ball came loose. I once got stranded because I didn't have a socket or lug wrench that fit my trailer. Dumb mistake.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys View Post
This is why I never hesitate to loan a tool if I have one. Last fall I seemed to have the only hacksaw in the campground I pulled into for two nights to take advantage of good water pressure and sewer hookup.

I've benefited from other's good will as well.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Great tips. helps everyone going on their first or 100th adventure
karykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #37

The 2 most ask about "Sockets" on RV sites is "1-1/16 and 1-1/2" in regards to water heaters! The 3rd place socket is for the "Lug Nuts"! Youroo!!
Old 08-05-2020, 05:44 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
The 2 most ask about "Sockets" on RV sites is "1-1/16 and 1-1/2" in regards to water heaters! The 3rd place socket is for the "Lug Nuts"! Youroo!!
Just used my small 1/4" and/or 5/16" sockets taking apart my water heater burner to clear out cobwebs. You need a set of them...not just a couple.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:41 PM   #39

Unless you're full timing or on a months long trip you dont need much or anything in the way of common sockets to carry in your rv. But many do keep 95% of their TV related tools segregated in their rv, duplication should not worry you imho.

Here's a few pictures of a prefilled tool box tray from Coleman including automotive type fuses, electrical tape, adjustable wrench etc, my wife bought for us 12-13 years ago. I filled the lower portion with additional maintenance items.

Also here's a picture of an oak tool box I made which is in the rv step well. The step is a lid to the box which holds more frequently used tools and items I want to keep handy and avoid steps in and out for such items.

Chris Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091020.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	235847Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091036.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	235848Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091312.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	235849Click image for larger version

Name:	20200805_091246.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	235850
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:27 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I like the idea of a collapsible lug wrench but, considering the angle on your example not being 90 degrees, is it not hard to apply pressure without it coming off?
No, it's easy. At least on the 100 ft-lb torqued nuts I have removed with it.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote