Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Condensation inside backup camera

I've noticed my backup camera is VERY VERY foggy. So, I took some windex and a towel out to my 3051s to clean the camera and hopefully fix the problem.

However, what I have is lots of water condensation in three places INSIDE the camera body under the glass cover.

There are big drops of water in front of each strip of LEDs. And more problematic a fine mist of droplets immediately over the camera lens.

Anyone know how to correct this issue and keep it from recurring?

Here's a photo, you can see this is very bad:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backup.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	299.0 KB
ID:	84854  
Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM   #2

May still be under warranty from camera company mine is Velvac at least on sideview cameras no problem with rear.My rv is 2015 3050s

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #3

I think the rearview camera is an ASA unit (like all the other Jensen and other electronic stuff on the RV) and the model number is: VCMS10B

Sure looks exactly like the one on the rear of my 3051S

I'm sure it's under warranty the RV is 1 month old. I was hoping for a quick and easy fix. But perhaps replacement is the only such fix.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #4

Not sure on backup but you are probably right been dealing with my issues for 10 months and counting. Good Luck

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 PM   #5

After discussing this with the manufacturer, ASA, they said it had to be replaced and could not be repaired.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #6
Commercial Member

If it is factory installed, that is not an ASA backup camera. That is RVS Systems.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:18 PM   #7

Yes, it is a the system that came with my 3051SF purchased from a Forest River dealer at the end of July.

I figured since a LOT of the electronics came from ASA and because ASA has one that looks identical that it must be ASA.

Thanks so much for chiming in and letting me know. I doubt it will change the outcome - it's a warranty item and not fixable by myself.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #8

I thought I'd circle back here to report this fixed - and how it was fixed.

First, I contacted RVS (Rear View Systems) because the camera is there's. They were very good about giving me a RMA number to return the camera. Then they told me to unscrew the nut holding the cable in the back of the camera and cut the two wires.

So, I removed the nut pulled out the wires and there were 5 wires not two.

They told me I'd have to find a small silver box and unplug the main camera wire and not cut anything at all. They, and I, assume that the silver junction box is in the bedroom on the back wall at the top of the wall where there is a piece of wood trim that is positioned like crown molding. Just enough room to tuck the control box in there. But I never got that far. So, I don't even know if that's where the control box is or not.

See, yesterday in South Texas it was 103 degrees and the sun beat down on that camera just like every other day, but this time, the wires, seal and nut was removed leaving an opening in the back of the camera for the condensation to evaporate.

I had started thinking about that this morning as I was getting dressed and the first thing i did was go outside and check the camera. Sure thing - all the condensation was gone.

It's "only" 98 today but while it was good and hot I put everything back and sealed that back of the camera really well.

Now I know if it happens again I'll get out a hair dryer and dry that thing out in no time.